Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Why hasn't Slade gone? I've an idea why.
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 279 Guests

Why hasn't Slade gone? I've an idea why.

This thread currently has 1,503 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
February 11, 2018, 8:27am
Guest User
Sherlock once said 'When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth'.

I can think of no possible reason why Russell Slade has not been dismissed from his job. I don't dislike the man, I appreciate you are talking about a mans livelihood but I cannot possibly see why he hasn't been sacked weeks ago, we are appalling and he is clearly out of ideas, his press conferences are the same and he has nothing left. He is a beaten man.

The only reason the 'board' haven't sacked him has to be a BOARD TAKEOVER is underway. Think about it, a new owner would probably want his own man, which would probably mean removing another contracted manager and his team?

If you don't believe Sherlock, ask Spock who reckons keeping Slade on would be 'illogical'. Live long and prosper.
IlkleyMariner
February 11, 2018, 8:32am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,984
Gold Stars: 69
We live in hope that you are right, but can't see it myself.

To quote another BBC favourite from Dads Army (how appropriate?)  "We are doomed"....... unless a miracle happens or we sack Slade.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 7
RonMariner
February 11, 2018, 11:23am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,542
Gold Stars: 224
I hope you are correct but doubt it somehow. I can't see anyone investing in the club until those loans are wiped, and I don't see that happening in a hurry.

The loans are the price of past failures and no incoming investor will want to spend good money after bad.  They will also not want to buy a club saddled with a huge debt. The loans might very well be described as 'benign; now, but we all know how businessmen can fall out. Ask Mike Parker. I can't see anyone contemplating a large investment with this burden hanging over the club.

Will Fenty write off the loans? Well, they are not entirely worthless. The one major asset the club has is Blundell Park. It sits on about 6 acres of land. Land with planning permission in North East Lincs is worth about £150k an acre. So potentially the site might be worth £900k gross. It would cost £50k-£100k in fees to get planning permission, and the cost of demolition and removal would run to tens of thousands. So I would guess that the net proceeds of selling the ground would amount to around £750k or so. Thus, in reality, writing the loans off would probably amount to a £750k hit. The rest of the balance is long gone.

If the loans were converted to equity a new owner could then purchase the club, and it would be debt free. It's possible someone may be willing to offer a few hundred thousand to acquire control. Fenty would have lost money, but I am sure he would also be a very relieved man to escape from his current situation. It must be as big a nightmare for him as it is for us.

Another alternative is that the club goes into administration, the ground is sold, and new owners buy the club from the receiver or set up a new club. They would be acquiring a homeless club, but one free from debt. They could then ground share for a while and control the process acquiring a new stadium. This may appear a more attractive option to potential investors.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 7
ginnywings
February 11, 2018, 12:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
I think if you stop laying the entire blame at the feet of Slade, then you have a management team and a board who set in motion, "Operation Treading Water". See out this season, trimming the budget as much as possible, have a massive spring clean, then recruit players who cost more than we can currently afford with the huge, unwieldy squad we currently have. Both parties are culpable, so how can JF look Slade in the eye and lay all the blame at his door? That didn't stop Slade recruiting some right dross and adding to the problem, then failing to organise them into a coherent unit. They are all to blame, just as they were when they let Bignot loose.

That's my take on it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 7
Marinerz93
February 11, 2018, 12:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
To many of us the sacking of Bignot wasn't unexpected but it was a surprise especially after beating Blackpool who went on to get promoted. Now this sacking was premeditated as Slade was already in Fenty's thoughts and must have had him lined up otherwise he would have been taking a risk of not getting Slade. Maybe Slade will expose the timing of contact and manner it was conducted.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 7
moosey_club
February 11, 2018, 12:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,211
Gold Stars: 226
Its simple.....we need to win 3-1 away first.....Cambridge away up next  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 7
geir
February 11, 2018, 1:02pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9
My theory is as follows to why Slade isn`t given the boot:

He probably got a long contract (3 years) with a stipulation in it that said that he had to achieve a sort of minimum place in League Two (7th?), otherwise the contract could be terminated without costs for Fenty.
As long as there still is a theoretical chance of achieving the minimum place in the league he will be in his job - otherwise I guess Fenty must pay him out for the next couple of years.

This seems to me to be the most logical reason why Fenty doesn`t act in his usual "6 games without a win or you`re fired" way.

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 7
ginnywings
February 11, 2018, 2:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Marinerz93
To many of us the sacking of Bignot wasn't unexpected but it was a surprise especially after beating Blackpool who went on to get promoted. Now this sacking was premeditated as Slade was already in Fenty's thoughts and must have had him lined up otherwise he would have been taking a risk of not getting Slade. Maybe Slade will expose the timing of contact and manner it was conducted.

Slades imminent arrival was being discussed in the pubs of Blackpool on the Friday night before the game. The subsequent result made no difference to his fate.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Why hasn't Slade gone? I've an idea why.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.