Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stand up and be counted.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 395 Guests

Stand up and be counted.

This thread currently has 2,878 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Earnyourstripes
February 10, 2018, 10:17pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: -67
Gold Stars: 1
Just putting some ideas on here to hear if there is any real intrest.

Would JF sell to a fans group, making the club owned by the supporters and to that end run by them.
I belive there is enough big business in the town and surrounding area that would support the club going forward.
Would he want his loans back? Would the club be able to raise say £2 million?  maybe around the figure needed to float the club for a season. If 6000 supporters paid £334 each that is that paid.

In Germany many of the clubs are supporter owned and run, by a highbred of there plans along with others why carnt Grimsby suceed as a fan owned club?
Logged Offline
Private Message
crusty ole pie
February 10, 2018, 10:21pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,311
Gold Stars: 62
Only 3000 people prepare£ to fork out £350for 23 scintillating games of football so finding 6000 to pay £334 for nothing is a tall ask
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 10
Swansea_Mariner
February 10, 2018, 10:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
Start a crowd funder then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 10
Earnyourstripes
February 10, 2018, 11:37pm
Coke Drinker
There is no point in been defeatest, the club is and always will be hugely well supported by its supporters. The 3000 season ticket supporters are brilliant but the ticket sales are the regular income fo the club.  A crowdfunder is a great idea but without the support it will just be a media win for Fenty so i would have to be sure that it would work.
For me there is no point keep poking Fenty and keep loosing our way, the only way forward is to change things and its the fans who should lead this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 10
Mariner_09
February 10, 2018, 11:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
Think we need to canvas and see if there’s anyone who has the energy and skills to lead a fans takeover group, until then it is utterly futile to have this discussion because Fenty will pull the “due diligence” card and say that we cannot demonstrate that we are able to properly run the club.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 10
Marinerz93
February 10, 2018, 11:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Quoted from Earnyourstripes
There is no point in been defeatest, the club is and always will be hugely well supported by its supporters. The 3000 season ticket supporters are brilliant but the ticket sales are the regular income fo the club.  A crowdfunder is a great idea but without the support it will just be a media win for Fenty so i would have to be sure that it would work.
For me there is no point keep poking Fenty and keep loosing our way, the only way forward is to change things and its the fans who should lead this.

No point in being defeatest, we are going out of the league without so much as a spirited fight and you are very sadly mistaken if you think many of the 3,000 season ticket holders will back the club again non league, especially with El Capitan Cheapo running things.

We need to keep the pressure on Fenty to leave and take his benign debt with him or we are in for another even longer stay in non league.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 10
KingstonMariner
February 11, 2018, 12:16am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Earnyourstripes
Just putting some ideas on here to hear if there is any real intrest.

Would JF sell to a fans group, making the club owned by the supporters and to that end run by them.
I belive there is enough big business in the town and surrounding area that would support the club going forward.
Would he want his loans back? Would the club be able to raise say £2 million?  maybe around the figure needed to float the club for a season. If 6000 supporters paid £334 each that is that paid.

In Germany many of the clubs are supporter owned and run, by a highbred of there plans along with others why carnt Grimsby suceed as a fan owned club?

I wouldn't want to see us paying him anything like that amount. He's been adamant about calling the shots (like when he twisted the Trust's arm to give him those shares so he could have control again. So he can take the loss as far as I'm concerned. Used to be much more sympathetic to his position but since that incident, and his continued fuckups over the last few years, I have lost any sympathy. Your bed, you lie in it John.

Would be delighted to see a fans takeover though, but I think there are too many people who just want a sugar daddy to subsidise the club and pat them on the head, and too many defeatists for it to happen.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 10
headingly_mariner
February 11, 2018, 10:40am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
No way that the fans should pay a penny of Fenty's loans off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 10
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2018, 10:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
To take on this club at the moment would be a full time job for someone with real expertise across a number of fronts most importantly finance the throw in marketing, PR, non playing recruitment, HR, etc.. etc..

They would also need some skills none of our directors have like the ability to engage with people, a can do attitude, leadership and ideally a tiny bit of charisma.    

This is not a role for a number of enthusiastic amateurs who get round a table twice a week, lay out the kit and sweep the dressing rooms on a Saturday. This is a mess that needs real skill and experience to get us moving forward.

If Fenty really wanted to move away from running the club he'd appoint an MD to take on the day to day running of the club and design a strategy to take us forward. Yes we'd need to pay them some decent cash plus bonus but there are people who could come in and breath life into this club just by the way they do BAU each week.

I nice big bump of cash from a multi millionaire would be nice but if someone could come in and engage the potential fan base we could still do well in this league, if we are still playing in it next season that is.    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 10
lew chaterleys lover
February 11, 2018, 11:31am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from HertsGTFC
To take on this club at the moment would be a full time job for someone with real expertise across a number of fronts most importantly finance the throw in marketing, PR, non playing recruitment, HR, etc.. etc..

They would also need some skills none of our directors have like the ability to engage with people, a can do attitude, leadership and ideally a tiny bit of charisma.    

This is not a role for a number of enthusiastic amateurs who get round a table twice a week, lay out the kit and sweep the dressing rooms on a Saturday. This is a mess that needs real skill and experience to get us moving forward.

If Fenty really wanted to move away from running the club he'd appoint an MD to take on the day to day running of the club and design a strategy to take us forward. Yes we'd need to pay them some decent cash plus bonus but there are people who could come in and breath life into this club just by the way they do BAU each week.

I nice big bump of cash from a multi millionaire would be nice but if someone could come in and engage the potential fan base we could still do well in this league, if we are still playing in it next season that is.    

These sort of solutions offer a way out for Fenty, in that he could start the ball rolling for life without him at the helm, but the whole point is that he cannot see it; he thinks he IS the man you describe and that is the sadness of it all. He has zero vision, zero plan, and zero expertise apart from making sure he will never be out of pocket, but because he has put so much effort into it he thinks that is sufficient. He actually think sby saving the club a few bob on the day to day running of the club he is doing us all a favour.

We have no future at all until someone, somewhere can find a way of prising him out, but it would take compromise on both sides.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 10
Earnyourstripes
February 11, 2018, 1:42pm
Coke Drinker
Football is a vastly difficult business and I see Town as a mess right now and as a life long supporter it hurts. I have spent a long time working at sports organisations away from the town and it is not a role for the faint hearted.
If John (Fenty) reads this then get in touch, I would happily chat and discover were you see the club and more importantly yourself in 10 years.
The club is in my opinion one of very few that could work as a fan owned project.
I would happily keep my gob shut if that's what one or two want (via pm) but remember anything good is only worth having if truly earned.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 10
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stand up and be counted.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.