7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
February 9, 2018, 9:55am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
Anyone got any stories from that weekend I was only 10 at the time went to the game and it was the only time I can remember seeing away supporters everywhere on the way to the ground not sure how many Leeds fans where there but must have been in excess of 8k. I used to live Humberstone Rd near Grant Thorald Park and walked to the game with a school mate by the time we got to Sidney Park we had to hide our scarves as we eneded up in amongst dozens of Leeds fans. The reason I have brought this up I just read a story from a Leeds fan about that game and he says he got chucked through a pub window on the Saturday by a GY fan who says a Leeds fan had done the same to him the night before it must have been mayhem?
Logged Offline
Private Message
londonmariner2
February 9, 2018, 10:09am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: -24
Gold Stars: 1
i remember loads of them trying to storm the gates at the pontoon entrance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 67
RoboCod
February 9, 2018, 10:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Some got in the Pontoon but the ones I saw got a good hiding as they were so drunk they could barely walk. Possibly mixing their drinks with substance, they were completely stoned.The main group who caused mayhem had apparently stayed overnight in some local derelict warehouse and had been drinking the entire time.
Lots of cars vandalised around the ground I seem to remember.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 67
promotion plaice
February 9, 2018, 10:31am

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188

If I remember rightly the Fisherman's Pub on Sea View Street had most of it's windows smashed.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 67
grimsby pete
February 9, 2018, 10:40am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I was there with the wife in the Ponny,

It was a planned attack before KO they were in all the stands and when the No1 pop song of the time " come on Eileen "  came over the tannoy that was the signal to start,

They did not get any joy in the Ponny but it was a while before it calmed down in the other stands,

My wife had not seen anything like it and was very frightened,

When the bloke next to us lit a ciggerate she asked him if she could have one and she did not smoke,!!!

Hate Leeds.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 67
moosey_club
February 9, 2018, 10:43am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
I remember some of them being as far inland as Trinity Rd , Cleethorpes getting beer from the off license.

A guy i worked with in later life told me he and his well known associates had spent that morning driving around Cleethorpes in a van deploying rapid action guerrilla tactics against the yorkie scum.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 67
IlkleyMariner
February 9, 2018, 10:50am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,870
Gold Stars: 66
Think there might have been a footy match as well.
Final score 1-1
Also Osmond stand had the back kicked in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 67
Ipswin
February 9, 2018, 10:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
I remember shuffling out of the Pontoon via the Imperial corner and as the crowd slowed down approaching the gate  Leeds fans in the upper tier of the newly opened Whatever it was called in those days Stand throwing seats down into the crowd. Sitting ducks we had nowhere to go.
Bank holiday weekend and the Yorkie scum had been in town on the ale for at least two days - who schedules these matches FFS?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 67
barralad
February 9, 2018, 10:58am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,192
Gold Stars: 121
There were a significant number who came on the Friday night..a lot of whom slept in the shelters on the seafront or on the beach. I can back Moosey's view about the beer off on Trinity. Two of my mates got attacked in Cleethorpes cemetery. There were small gangs all over randomly attacking anyone...whether or not they were going to the match.  I think it was the first game the new Findus stand was open for. I went to pick up my season ticket and there must have been a hundred Leeds sat in the car park.There were a lot of Leeds fans who didnt get in or who got chucked out who went down the passages in Blundell Ave and amused themselves by throwing bottles over the fence.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 67
Les Brechin
February 9, 2018, 11:12am

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
I didn't actually go to the game but this was before the A180 link from the M180 at Barnetby Top had opened so most came in via Laceby Bypass and the Spar (or Tates as it was back then) at Nuns Corner got absolutely ransacked by a couple of coachloads of Leeds "fans" who stopped there early in the day.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 67
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 9, 2018, 11:12am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
I think the reason Town didn't make national news at saltergate (1990?) was because Leeds went On The rampage in Bournemouth.

Only a few places where I've felt really uneasy at an away game Elland road was one

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 67
The_Laughing_Mariner
February 9, 2018, 11:35am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,040
Gold Stars: 10
I was in St John at the time and was on duty at the match.

Any Town fan that came with injury was give lots of TLC.  Leeds fans, " Ive hurt my hand fighting" we seriously waggled their hands to cause as much pain as possible, neat iodine on cuts etc.

I remember litter bins on fire down Alexandra Rd

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 67
dapperz fun pub
February 9, 2018, 11:43am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
I was in the dolphin on the Friday night boom it went crazy really crazy apparently they where York whites some nasty fighting from both sides
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 67
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 9, 2018, 12:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,502
Gold Stars: 64
Worst violence I have ever seen at BP, on way there my windscreen shattered and we left it for repair at my mates aunty’s in Clee.

Trying to get back after the game was a walk through hell as literally every street we chose as our route was filled with gangs fighting, transit vans full of guys were either under attack or being attacked, crazy day
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 67
jock dock tower
February 9, 2018, 1:04pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Think the subject has been covered at length on here before but from what I can remember

They did come en masse on the Friday afternoon / night and the police had the majority of them rounded up and they spent the night on the ebach, but not before trying their best to get Cleethorpes twinned with Beirut by their attempts to redesign the town.

Countless pubs, shops etc had their windows put in on the Friday night. I was in the Vic on the Friday night, as I was most weekends back then. Word had got round that there was a mob rampaging through Meggies wrecking the pubs and that, inevitably, the Vic would get it sooner rather than later. The Vic had some tasty characters back in the day. Not blokes who would go looking for trouble, but you knew they would - and could - handle themselves if need be.

As word got round that Leeds were just across the road a couple of them decided that Leeds would not spoil their quiet night out, and ensured they wouldn't get into the pub by the double doors into the bar by standing in there and just picking them off to by two as they all tried to squeeze through. The miscreants got a very good seeing to before being ejected through the back doors via the lounge, and probably wishing they had been more polite when entering the pub.

Getting home from the Vic was a nightmare. I only lived about 600 metres away but they were everywhere, and it was just a case of making a bolt for it via the backstreets when the chance arose.

Don't know about trouble in and around Cleethorpes on the morning of the game as I decided I'd do the shopping a day or so later. Got a taxi down to the New Imperial Club which was always my port of call en route to the game,a nd you could hear the trouble going on all around outside as the police and ambulance sirens were virtually non stop.

Managed to get into BP no bother by keeping myself very much to myself. Huge amounts of trouble in the ground as Pete recollects. The Leeds fans wrecked the Osmond, kicking the back out of the stand and then pissing on washing hung on the lines in the back gardens adjoining the ground. Absolute animals.

Going out of the ground from the old Pontoon turnstiles it became obvious it was kicking off big style just outside and there was a Leeds firm attacking anything and everything coming out of the ground. Hard as nails attacking children, eh? I decided against trying to get into Meggies the traditional way via walking home down Grimsby Road, but beat a hasty retreat to a mate who lived in Lestrange Street and got a taxi from there.

It's always difficult to reconcile the fact that I still harbour grudges to Leeds after all this time, but like Pete I still hate them, regardless of how illogical it is after all this time.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 67
FishOutOfWater
February 9, 2018, 1:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
I can't remember too much about getting to the ground... must have dodged a lot of the skirmishes but going in to the ground through the Imp Corner, me and my mate got stopped by a cop after we'd gone through the turnstiles, who pulled us up and asked where we thought we were going

We said we were Town fans going in to the Pontoon and his response was be careful, they're everywhere!

That really inspired confidence in the law enforcement ( NOT! ) because after he let us go past him,  I half expected us to get picked off by the Leeds fans who were all hanging over the edge of the Findus pointing out Town fans to their mob

Apart from the time that Chelsea tried it on with us ( December 1980 ) Leeds' visit that day has to be the worst violence I've ever seen in and around BP
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 15 - 67
Bigdog
February 9, 2018, 1:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
It was a swift learning curve for a lad of 17 wearing Lois split jumbo cords and an Armani polo shirt over that weekend. Dolly was mental on the Friday night and Saturday even worse. The other couple that really stick out around that time were Chelsea and QPR both promoted and last day of the season for both if I recall..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 67
Madeleymariner
February 9, 2018, 2:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
I was stewarding in The Osmand seats that day,the era when the front half was standing, not long before KO they decided to climb the front wall to avoid paying the extra for the seats, we tipped a couple of them back over (there was only about 4/5 of us), then saw the 4 cops by the steps that lead down to the back hastily leave, so we joined them pretty quickly. They had already started ripping the seats out at the back by then, and we didn't see why we should risk a kicking when even the plods didn't fancy it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 67
jock dock tower
February 9, 2018, 2:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
I can't remember too much about getting to the ground... must have dodged a lot of the skirmishes but going in to the ground through the Imp Corner, me and my mate got stopped by a cop after we'd gone through the turnstiles, who pulled us up and asked where we thought we were going

We said we were Town fans going in to the Pontoon and his response was be careful, they're everywhere!

That really inspired confidence in the law enforcement ( NOT!) because after he let us go past him,  I half expected us to get picked off by the Leeds fans who were all hanging over the edge of the Findus pointing out Town fans to their mob

Apart from the time that Chelsea tried it on with us ( December 1980 ) Leeds' visit that day has to be the worst violence I've ever seen in and around BP

That was the time Geoff Pillay was jumped by three or four CFC thugs in the Pontoon - and went flying to all corners for their troubles. Chelsea thought they'd come and show Grimsby fans who the "top boys" were, in our small northern town, and got a good kicking and had to scranble over the fencing to get out of there in one piece. Had a great vantage point watching it all from the Findus and thought how stupid they must have been to try and take liberties just because we weren't a big football club. Muppets.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 67
Les Brechin
February 9, 2018, 2:52pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from jock dock tower

That was the time Geoff Pillay was jumped by three or four CFC thugs in the Pontoon - and went flying to all corners for their troubles. Chelsea thought they'd come and show Grimsby fans who the "top boys" were, in our small northern town, and got a good kicking and had to scranble over the fencing to get out of there in one piece. Had a great vantage point watching it all from the Findus and thought how stupid they must have been to try and take liberties just because we weren't a big football club. Muppets.

I remember that Chelsea game well. I was in The Pontoon when a group of Chelsea lads came in. One of them nicked my scarf as he was going by but a rather largely built Town fan nearby went after him, twatted him one and got my scarf back for me  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 67
dapperz fun pub
February 9, 2018, 4:04pm
Special Brew Drinker
Chelsea got battered in the ponny all in their green bomber jackets scrambling for deer life over the fences ,bet they never expected that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 67
BottesfordMariner
February 9, 2018, 4:32pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
I remember being in the Pontoon when Leeds tried to take it before ko. I was 15 at the time. I didnt run (I'd like to say because i was hard but the more honest answer was I was too scared to move). I didnt get hit (miraculously). Probably the worst violence i have seen inside BP.  I was a kid and  these were blokes in their 30's and older.

The following season the game got moved to a Tuesday night. That was fun and games walking home to Meggies down Grimsby Road after the game.

Millwall came here in 1980 and that was chaos after the match as well. Havent been to that many games at BP down the years when I've thought 'intercourse'. Leeds was one.

Been to Elland Road a few times down the years watching Town and Manchester City. Cant say it was ever an enjoyable experience regardless of the result. The Peacock behind the away end was certainly an experience. I used to go to matches on the train when I was younger. Ran into Leeds on many occasions.

Trips to Leeds were intimidating. Derby Baseball Ground could be tasty. Ayresome Park was another. Went to the Old Den once though.......I will never go to Millwall again.. Worst away day experience by far.  I was lucky to get out alive.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 67
Mrs Doyle
February 9, 2018, 5:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Remember it well they tried to get in the ponny like Newcastle did but both were rebuffed with interest. They wreaked the Osmond kicked the back of the stand in and urinated in the people's gardens behind. They also played a Christmas fixture in which we beat them made a massive noise think there were more in the main stand than town fans.

Went to Elland road when flying Leeds/England winger Peter Barnes absolutely murdered us we got hammered that game on the pitch. About a thousand town fans were housed in the side stand in a very hostile atmosphere.

Getting to the stand was bad as we were pelted with half bricks and stones readily available from some building work going on nearby.

Most of the agro were aimed at the Yorkshire Police though as it was during the miners' strike.

To a man that massive kop end and the opposite end stood up shouting “Sieg Heil”  and gave the Nazi salute to the police as they came into the ground.

Must admit the Police did not adhere themselves to us either as after the game after getting a lesson in wing play and hammered (can't even remember the score) They made us wait until all the home fans had gone whilst that was happening, Two mounted police trotted backward and forwards between the only exit covering the ground with horse shat which we had to wade through much to their amusement illegitimates!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 67
tintowner
February 9, 2018, 6:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +603
Gold Stars: 20
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Chelsea got battered in the ponny all in their green bomber jackets scrambling for deer life over the fences ,bet they never expected that

I was 17 at the time and vividly recall a few Chelsea trying to get out of the Ponny by climbing the fence. I just saw numerous pairs of hands reaching up and dragging them back down into the fray.

One character who I can still picture .... a big bloke wearing a sheepskin type of coat with a fur collar and sporting the perm of the day,,,,,,, absolutely battering the shite out of a few Chelsea skinheads!

Batch, K.Moore, Waters, Wiggington, Crombie, Brolly, Ford, Drinkell, Mitchell, Cumming, Kilmore. D.Moore, Stone, Liddell. ....1979/80..... now that WAS a team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 67
BottesfordMariner
February 9, 2018, 6:19pm

Table Wine Drinker
ah the good 'ol days
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 67
BottesfordMariner
February 9, 2018, 6:28pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Went to Elland road when flying Leeds/England winger Peter Barnes absolutely murdered us we got hammered that game on the pitch. About a thousand town fans were housed in the side stand in a very hostile atmosphere.

The old Lowfields Stand was nasty.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 67
pontoon442
February 9, 2018, 6:48pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / -3
Approval: -261
Gold Stars: 5
The 1982 game was first time Leeds visited for years & years and the opening of the Findus stand & 1st game of the season. Att 16,137 but alot of the so called Leeds fans where from other clubs & towns just there for a scrap, Kilmore scored for Town & Lorimer equalised late on. Next season was Tuesday night & only 7,797 attended, but Drinkell scored cracker as town won 2-0. Horrible in Clee Friday night, they came into the Toby from Willys, staff came round & said we're closing as soon as the cops get here, come back in half an hour through the back door, so that was it back in the Toby with the curtains closed. Note to younger fans "The Toby" was the best pub in Cleethorpes if you had a scooter, beer was crap though. No where like that now...
Chelsea visited 4 times during that period 80 to 84 att 14,708 first time for Trevor Wymarks debut as town won 2-0 loads of trouble Friday & Saturday att went well down for next 2 visits then 13,000 for last game of the season as Chelsea needed to win to beat Wednesday for the title, Town finished 5th equal on points with Man City in 4th. Chelsea may well have outnumbered Town that day in the ground, huge pitch invasion at the end, but a fair few Town steamed into them though.
Town had a great team of locals then but crowds were quite low, the fishing was almost over, youth unemployment very high, little money about during Tory Margaret Thatchers recession plus people put off by the trouble, decaying stadiums & high caged fences all over.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 67
HertsGTFC
February 9, 2018, 6:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from barralad
There were a significant number who came on the Friday night..a lot of whom slept in the shelters on the seafront or on the beach. I can back Moosey's view about the beer off on Trinity. Two of my mates got attacked in Cleethorpes cemetery. There were small gangs all over randomly attacking anyone...whether or not they were going to the match.  I think it was the first game the new Findus stand was open for. I went to pick up my season ticket and there must have been a hundred Leeds sat in the car park.There were a lot of Leeds fans who didnt get in or who got chucked out who went down the passages in Blundell Ave and amused themselves by throwing bottles over the fence.

My dad was a bobby at the time and had been in for a few years but had never used his truncheon until that Friday night and on numerous occasions the following day.    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 67
Mrs Doyle
February 9, 2018, 6:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from BottesfordMariner
I remember being in the Pontoon when Leeds tried to take it before ko. I was 15 at the time. I didnt run (I'd like to say because i was hard but the more honest answer was I was too scared to move). I didnt get hit (miraculously). Probably the worst violence i have seen inside BP.  I was a kid and  these were blokes in their 30's and older.

The following season the game got moved to a Tuesday night. That was fun and games walking home to Meggies down Grimsby Road after the game.

Millwall came here in 1980 and that was chaos after the match as well. Havent been to that many games at BP down the years when I've thought 'intercourse'. Leeds was one.

Been to Elland Road a few times down the years watching Town and Manchester City. Cant say it was ever an enjoyable experience regardless of the result. The Peacock behind the away end was certainly an experience. I used to go to matches on the train when I was younger. Ran into Leeds on many occasions.

Trips to Leeds were intimidating. Derby Baseball Ground could be tasty. Ayresome Park was another. Went to the Old Den once though.......I will never go to Millwall again.. Worst away day experience by far.  I was lucky to get out alive.

To be honest, all the Yorkshire sides have been tasty,Scunny was always ..........interesting but Stoke was the worst I have witnessed here.

Remember some idiot with a machete came charging across the pitch towards the Pontoon end.

Before the police got him a handful of town fans intercepted him and gave him a right kick in lol.

Late 70s and 80s were bad got pelted with coins and metal kung fu stars. Urinated from above at Wolves two-tier stand got a good belting at Liverpool when they put us in the kop stupid prats.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 67
jock dock tower
February 9, 2018, 7:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
It must be difficult for anyone under 40 nowadays exactly what it was like going to a match in those days when violence rather than supporting your team seemed to be the number one item on the agenda for a large number of blokes.  Genuinely glad a lot of the really nasty stuff at grounds has been consigned to history, but I doubt the violence that follows the game outside the stadium environment will ever go away.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 67
dapperz fun pub
February 9, 2018, 7:44pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

To be honest, all the Yorkshire sides have been tasty,Scunny was always ..........interesting but Stoke was the worst I have witnessed here.

Remember some idiot with a machete came charging across the pitch towards the Pontoon end.

Before the police got him a handful of town fans intercepted him and gave him a right kick in lol.

Late 70s and 80s were bad got pelted with coins and metal kung fu stars. Urinated from above at Wolves two-tier stand got a good belting at Liverpool when they put us in the kop stupid prats.

Remember going to scunny as a fresh faced teenager in the cup early 80s , town all over the town centre drunk up by mid morning going in all 4 sides of the old show ground creating havoc before/during the game. Always interesting encounters like you say but always more aggro with the sheff clubs Leeds Barnsley etc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 67
TownSNAFU5
February 9, 2018, 7:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
The Leeds game in 1982 was a perfect storm for everything that could go wrong.  I remember feeling that the police never had control of the very large number of Leeds fans.  I don't remember them trying to get in the Pontoon before the game.

I did see Leeds fans trying to get into the Pontoon after the game.  They were vicious with it.  Not very bright really trying to get in the Pontoon when everyone else is going the other way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 67
LH
February 9, 2018, 8:01pm

Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
My mum’s from Leeds originally and one of her (estranged) cousins was one of their lads in the 70s/80s. He did a very long stretch for slashing someone numerous times with a stanley knife across the back after jumping on them and pinning them down. He wasn’t out long before he was returned to prison for holding up a bookies with a sawn-off. As I say: estranged.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 67
Ipswin
February 9, 2018, 8:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from pontoon442
The 1982 game was first time Leeds visited for years & years and the opening of the Findus stand & 1st game of the season. Att 16,137 but alot of the so called Leeds fans where from other clubs & towns just there for a scrap, Kilmore scored for Town & Lorimer equalised late on. Next season was Tuesday night & only 7,797 attended, but Drinkell scored cracker as town won 2-0. Horrible in Clee Friday night, they came into the Toby from Willys, staff came round & said we're closing as soon as the cops get here, come back in half an hour through the back door, so that was it back in the Toby with the curtains closed. Note to younger fans "The Toby" was the best pub in Cleethorpes if you had a scooter, beer was crap though. No where like that now...
Chelsea visited 4 times during that period 80 to 84 att 14,708 first time for Trevor Wymarks debut as town won 2-0 loads of trouble Friday & Saturday att went well down for next 2 visits then 13,000 for last game of the season as Chelsea needed to win to beat Wednesday for the title, Town finished 5th equal on points with Man City in 4th. Chelsea may well have outnumbered Town that day in the ground, huge pitch invasion at the end, but a fair few Town steamed into them though.
Town had a great team of locals then but crowds were quite low, the fishing was almost over, youth unemployment very high, little money about during Tory Margaret Thatchers recession plus people put off by the trouble, decaying stadiums & high caged fences all over.

Great days indeed

Private Message
Reply: 33 - 67
chaos33
February 9, 2018, 9:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
I wasn't allowed to go. I was 10.
The stories recounted here are the stuff of legend (for my generation of Town fan).

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 67
arryarryarry
February 9, 2018, 9:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,945
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from pontoon442

After having a season ticket for the Ponny for many years that game was my first with a season ticket at the back of the Findus Stand.

I knew there was plenty of bother but cannot remember any in the Findus Stand.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 67
February 9, 2018, 9:36pm
Guest User
I was there!  I recall driving into Cleethorpes marketplace at around 9pm and having bottles and kicks at my car.  To be honest I was terrified but as a 20 year old taxi driver I just wanted the money.  Stopped and picked up 2 x scum, ‘tekus tooo larfbert’.  twit started pulling my hair halfway so I slammed the brakes on, rear child locks on.  Got out, Yanked open the rear passenger door and when his leg came out I slammed the fornicator shut.  Dragged him out and gave him a kiss (ish).  His mate was only too pleased to pay.

Despite my love for most things human I have a deep dislike of anything Yorkshire.
Reply: 36 - 67
February 9, 2018, 10:05pm
Guest User
Strange thing, I never involved myself in football hooliganism, it started in the early 70’s which as a 10 year old was before my time.  Through my teens and into early 20’s it was the ‘norm’.  If you were a football fan then you were a hooligan.  I get what it was about, the rivalry, the weekend release, the whole being a young bloke thing and being in the pack.  I suppose oddly it never appealed to me, I just didn’t get the ‘why’ aspect.  I understood as a Healing lad piling into a load of townies in Bunnies, being hopelessly outnumbered but what the intercourse.  I just didn’t get football violence as an addiction.  
Reply: 37 - 67
chaos33
February 9, 2018, 10:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 139914
I was there!  I recall driving into Cleethorpes marketplace at around 9pm and having bottles and kicks at my car.  To be honest I was terrified but as a 20 year old taxi driver I just wanted the money.  Stopped and picked up 2 x scum, ‘tekus tooo larfbert’.  twit started pulling my hair halfway so I slammed the brakes on, rear child locks on.  Got out, Yanked open the rear passenger door and when his leg came out I slammed the fornicator shut.  Dragged him out and gave him a kiss (ish).  His mate was only too pleased to pay.

Despite my love for most things human I have a deep dislike of anything Yorkshire.

Really?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 67
February 9, 2018, 10:14pm
Guest User
Yes really, in 1981 I was the youngest Hackney Carriage driver in the country.  It was near impossible to get insured as a sub 25 year old.  It took 60 drivers (that was the total number of plates in those days) threatening to change insurance providers to finally get a quote.  I ended up paying nearly £750 a quarter for FC plus public liability insurance.

I guess you wouldn’t get that because your a patronising no mark internet twit.  But hey, let’s not allow the truth to cloud our friendship
Reply: 39 - 67
LH
February 9, 2018, 10:25pm

Quoted from 139914
Yes really, in 1981 I was the youngest Hackney Carriage driver in the country.  It was near impossible to get insured as a sub 25 year old.  It took 60 drivers (that was the total number of plates in those days) threatening to change insurance providers to finally get a quote.  I ended up paying nearly £750 a quarter for FC plus public liability insurance.

I guess you wouldn’t get that because your a patronising no mark internet twit.  But hey, let’s not allow the truth to cloud our friendship

No-one is doubting you were a taxi driver....
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 67
Rodley Mariner
February 9, 2018, 10:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from LH

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 67
February 9, 2018, 10:48pm
Guest User
Quoted from LH

That’s really good news, thank you.  I’m not disputing that you were in the RAF and have since risen to the dizzy heights of warehouse operative.  Not only must your parents be brimming with pride but no doubt your children are enjoying the trappings of your success.  
Reply: 42 - 67
ginnywings
February 9, 2018, 10:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Apart form all the trouble over the entire weekend, of which i witnessed plenty, i have two very very vague memories. One was of a Leeds fan getting badly hurt outside the Flam, either beat up, run over, or both. One was of someone getting stabbed near the ground and it had something to do with a Post Office, possibly on the corner of Barcroft Street, or near there. Time has a habit of muddling up memories, so they may or may not have happened in connection with that game, or at all.

What i do remember is Meggies was our stomping ground and we weren't going to be run out by some dirty yorkies, so i do remember a few lads from different factions around town joining forces and having a few "scuffles". I'd have just turned 23.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 67
KingstonMariner
February 9, 2018, 10:56pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Remember walking down Harrington Street with my brother-in-law past crowds of Neanderthals with tattooed faces. Before kick off we saw them getting a traditional warm welcome in the Ponny, then the girl privates ripped up the seats in the Upper Findus.

Down the front on the Saturday night you had to pass the accent test to get in pubs.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 67
LH
February 9, 2018, 11:00pm

Hi MaccaBilk! I take it you found wifi in Outer Mongolia or whereever it was you decided to retire your character off to when you got bored last time?
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 67
arryarryarry
February 9, 2018, 11:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,945
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Remember walking down Harrington Street with my brother-in-law past crowds of Neanderthals with tattooed faces. Before kick off we saw them getting a traditional warm welcome in the Ponny, then the girl privates ripped up the seats in the Upper Findus.

Down the front on the Saturday night you had to pass the accent test to get in pubs.

I was in the Upper Findus and cannot remember any seats being ripped out or under threat from Leeds fans.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 67
KingstonMariner
February 10, 2018, 1:38am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from arryarryarry

I was in the Upper Findus and cannot remember any seats being ripped out or under threat from Leeds fans.

Funny how memory plays tricks on you (or me). I remember seeing them fly through the air. I'm sure it's not just because I read about it afterwards, but people have been found to have false memories of an event they were actually at.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 67
chaos33
February 10, 2018, 7:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 139914

I'm a patronising no mark internet twit! How clever you are for your age to write something like that. I'm all those things because I asked you a 1 word question?!

What I meant was - Do you really have a 'deep dislike for anything Yorkshire'?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 67
chaos33
February 10, 2018, 7:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 139914

That’s really good news, thank you.  I’m not disputing that you were in the RAF and have since risen to the dizzy heights of warehouse operative.  Not only must your parents be brimming with pride but no doubt your children are enjoying the trappings of your success.  

Now who's being patronising?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 67
Mrs Doyle
February 10, 2018, 8:24am
Whiskey Drinker
Sure I have seen a old black and white photo somewhere of "Bonzo" (infamous troublemaker) in blood-soaked white stay press trousers shaking hands with Davy Boylen after confronting some Yorkie fans and getting stabbed up the backside.

Does he not now own a physio place or something must have got bored or older and wiser.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 67
dapperz fun pub
February 10, 2018, 8:46am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Sure I have seen a old black and white photo somewhere of "Bonzo" (infamous troublemaker) in blood-soaked white stay press trousers shaking hands with Davy Boylen after confronting some Yorkie fans and getting stabbed up the backside.

Does he not now own a physio place or something must have got bored or older and wiser.

I think that incident with Bonzo was Lincoln a little bit before my time but heard others speak of it, regarding Leeds anyone who thinks they didn’t get plenty back is kidding themselves they got plenty back and if anything the next time they came ( far less numbers) they got terrorised.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 67
Ipswin
February 10, 2018, 11:05am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

I assure you that at the Imp end of the Upper Findus seats were indeed ripped out - one of the fornicators hit me!

Private Message
Reply: 52 - 67
FishOutOfWater
February 10, 2018, 12:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker

I think that incident with Bonzo was Lincoln a little bit before my time but heard others speak of it, regarding Leeds anyone who thinks they didn’t get plenty back is kidding themselves they got plenty back and if anything the next time they came ( far less numbers) they got terrorised.  

That incident was definitely at Lincoln

I was only about 13 and went there on a special train with my dad and distinctly remember seeing him outside the station

It was about 1970/71, a night match early-ish in the season as I recall which we lost (3-1 maybe) and there were lots of skirmishes on the way back  from their ground to the station

I think my dad was a bit surprised to see violence like that on the streets when all it was was a local derby.....an eye opener for me too as a young naïve Town fan
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 53 - 67
FishOutOfWater
February 10, 2018, 12:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

I assure you that at the Imp end of the Upper Findus seats were indeed ripped out - one of the fornicators hit me!

Leeds were definitely in the Findus at the Imp end.... that's where I saw them when I was going through the turnstiles in to the Pontoon ( as I mentioned in my initial post on the game)

It seems incredible really that it was so out of hand that game, but as others mention, a perfect storm

First game of the season; first day with the new Findus stand; Leeds' first game in the 2nd tier after 20 imperious years or so in the top flight; a traditional Yorkshire sea-side destination on a bank holiday; a warm sunny day; booze galore and there you have it.  BOOM!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 54 - 67
Jackie Lewis
February 10, 2018, 1:07pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +75
Didn't Town chase a load of Leeds lads off Donny station one year. Can't remember the match we were going to but if Leeds missed their train I'm sure we were doing some other club a favour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 67
Grim74
February 10, 2018, 2:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Heard a story about Dave Pleasants (the armed robber) who carried out some slashing on the beach either fri or sat night as the leeds scum slept, always liked to think this one was true if anyone can confirm?

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 67
barralad
February 10, 2018, 2:14pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,192
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

That incident was definitely at Lincoln

I was only about 13 and went there on a special train with my dad and distinctly remember seeing him outside the station

It was about 1970/71, a night match early-ish in the season as I recall which we lost (3-1 maybe) and there were lots of skirmishes on the way back  from their ground to the station

I think my dad was a bit surprised to see violence like that on the streets when all it was was a local derby.....an eye opener for me too as a young naïve Town fan

Happy to confirm it was Lincoln. It was a night time Football League Cup tie. Town lost 2-1. There was a retaken penalty for Town. Scored the first but missed the retake.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 67
jock dock tower
February 10, 2018, 2:26pm
Special Brew Drinker
Sorry Barra, you're wrong, twas 1971-2 and Lincoln gubbed us 3-0 on a Tuesday night. Absolute mayhem all game with Town fans desperate to get into the home fans end to have a pop at the Klan.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 67
dapperz fun pub
February 10, 2018, 2:43pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Grim74
Heard a story about Dave Pleasants (the armed robber) who carried out some slashing on the beach either fri or sat night as the leeds scum slept, always liked to think this one was true if anyone can confirm?

Not true as far as I know and I knew pleaso back in the day , however regards football aggro he did get involved but that's all I'm saying
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 67
dapperz fun pub
February 10, 2018, 2:45pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from jock dock tower
Sorry Barra, you're wrong, twas 1971-2 and Lincoln gubbed us 3-0 on a Tuesday night. Absolute mayhem all game with Town fans desperate to get into the home fans end to have a pop at the Klan.

I was told bonzo run into their end on his own absolutely no felicitations given
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 67
jock dock tower
February 10, 2018, 3:55pm
Special Brew Drinker
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If any Town fan got past that police cordon they must have been desperate.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 67
grimps
February 10, 2018, 4:04pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,993
Gold Stars: 46
We got chased down the train tracks by Leeds at Donny station. One Saturday morning when we was on our way to Leicester .

As for the Leeds game it was before my time but I once got arrested in France at the World Cup with a Leeds fan from York , he told me he had his skull fractured in the Dolphin on the Friday night before the Town game .
I’ve met many Leeds fans over the years and many of them have said that the Bank holiday Grimsby game was one of the biggest mobs they’d ever assembled , they also admit that Town gave as good as they got depots being out numbered and that on later visits to Blunddell Park they says had a very hard time from Grimsby locals
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 67
Gaffer58
February 10, 2018, 4:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
Remember away at Peterborough, Ron Ashman was the manager, believe the police went into our supporters and don't know what happened but seem to think one of them was carried out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 67
1mickylyons
February 12, 2018, 1:46pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

I should have told you this ages ago it was Fenty
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 67
1mickylyons
February 12, 2018, 1:49pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from grimps
We got chased down the train tracks by Leeds at Donny station. One Saturday morning when we was on our way to Leicester .

As for the Leeds game it was before my time but I once got arrested in France at the World Cup with a Leeds fan from York , he told me he had his skull fractured in the Dolphin on the Friday night before the Town game .
I’ve met many Leeds fans over the years and many of them have said that the Bank holiday Grimsby game was one of the biggest mobs they’d ever assembled , they also admit that Town gave as good as they got depots being out numbered and that on later visits to Blunddell Park they says had a very hard time from Grimsby locals

Wonder if he was the guy from the opening post who got put through a pub window?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 67
1mickylyons
February 12, 2018, 1:50pm
Special Brew Drinker

Not true as far as I know and I knew pleaso back in the day , however regards football aggro he did get involved but that's all I'm saying

Nicknamed bagman
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 67
blackandwhitelaces
February 12, 2018, 3:23pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +152
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Nicknamed bagman

I once witnessed an altercation between plesoe’s bag and a Liecster fan on GY road  

made in cleethorpes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 67
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Leeds@ Grimsby 1982

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.