7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 9, 2018, 11:12am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
I think the reason Town didn't make national news at saltergate (1990?) was because Leeds went On The rampage in Bournemouth.

Only a few places where I've felt really uneasy at an away game Elland road was one

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 67
The_Laughing_Mariner
February 9, 2018, 11:35am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,040
Gold Stars: 10
I was in St John at the time and was on duty at the match.

Any Town fan that came with injury was give lots of TLC.  Leeds fans, " Ive hurt my hand fighting" we seriously waggled their hands to cause as much pain as possible, neat iodine on cuts etc.

I remember litter bins on fire down Alexandra Rd

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 67
dapperz fun pub
February 9, 2018, 11:43am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
I was in the dolphin on the Friday night boom it went crazy really crazy apparently they where York whites some nasty fighting from both sides
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 67
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 9, 2018, 12:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,512
Gold Stars: 64
Worst violence I have ever seen at BP, on way there my windscreen shattered and we left it for repair at my mates aunty’s in Clee.

Trying to get back after the game was a walk through hell as literally every street we chose as our route was filled with gangs fighting, transit vans full of guys were either under attack or being attacked, crazy day
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 67
jock dock tower
February 9, 2018, 1:04pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Think the subject has been covered at length on here before but from what I can remember

They did come en masse on the Friday afternoon / night and the police had the majority of them rounded up and they spent the night on the ebach, but not before trying their best to get Cleethorpes twinned with Beirut by their attempts to redesign the town.

Countless pubs, shops etc had their windows put in on the Friday night. I was in the Vic on the Friday night, as I was most weekends back then. Word had got round that there was a mob rampaging through Meggies wrecking the pubs and that, inevitably, the Vic would get it sooner rather than later. The Vic had some tasty characters back in the day. Not blokes who would go looking for trouble, but you knew they would - and could - handle themselves if need be.

As word got round that Leeds were just across the road a couple of them decided that Leeds would not spoil their quiet night out, and ensured they wouldn't get into the pub by the double doors into the bar by standing in there and just picking them off to by two as they all tried to squeeze through. The miscreants got a very good seeing to before being ejected through the back doors via the lounge, and probably wishing they had been more polite when entering the pub.

Getting home from the Vic was a nightmare. I only lived about 600 metres away but they were everywhere, and it was just a case of making a bolt for it via the backstreets when the chance arose.

Don't know about trouble in and around Cleethorpes on the morning of the game as I decided I'd do the shopping a day or so later. Got a taxi down to the New Imperial Club which was always my port of call en route to the game,a nd you could hear the trouble going on all around outside as the police and ambulance sirens were virtually non stop.

Managed to get into BP no bother by keeping myself very much to myself. Huge amounts of trouble in the ground as Pete recollects. The Leeds fans wrecked the Osmond, kicking the back out of the stand and then pissing on washing hung on the lines in the back gardens adjoining the ground. Absolute animals.

Going out of the ground from the old Pontoon turnstiles it became obvious it was kicking off big style just outside and there was a Leeds firm attacking anything and everything coming out of the ground. Hard as nails attacking children, eh? I decided against trying to get into Meggies the traditional way via walking home down Grimsby Road, but beat a hasty retreat to a mate who lived in Lestrange Street and got a taxi from there.

It's always difficult to reconcile the fact that I still harbour grudges to Leeds after all this time, but like Pete I still hate them, regardless of how illogical it is after all this time.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 67
FishOutOfWater
February 9, 2018, 1:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
I can't remember too much about getting to the ground... must have dodged a lot of the skirmishes but going in to the ground through the Imp Corner, me and my mate got stopped by a cop after we'd gone through the turnstiles, who pulled us up and asked where we thought we were going

We said we were Town fans going in to the Pontoon and his response was be careful, they're everywhere!

That really inspired confidence in the law enforcement ( NOT! ) because after he let us go past him,  I half expected us to get picked off by the Leeds fans who were all hanging over the edge of the Findus pointing out Town fans to their mob

Apart from the time that Chelsea tried it on with us ( December 1980 ) Leeds' visit that day has to be the worst violence I've ever seen in and around BP
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 15 - 67
Bigdog
February 9, 2018, 1:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
It was a swift learning curve for a lad of 17 wearing Lois split jumbo cords and an Armani polo shirt over that weekend. Dolly was mental on the Friday night and Saturday even worse. The other couple that really stick out around that time were Chelsea and QPR both promoted and last day of the season for both if I recall..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 67
Madeleymariner
February 9, 2018, 2:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
I was stewarding in The Osmand seats that day,the era when the front half was standing, not long before KO they decided to climb the front wall to avoid paying the extra for the seats, we tipped a couple of them back over (there was only about 4/5 of us), then saw the 4 cops by the steps that lead down to the back hastily leave, so we joined them pretty quickly. They had already started ripping the seats out at the back by then, and we didn't see why we should risk a kicking when even the plods didn't fancy it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 67
jock dock tower
February 9, 2018, 2:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
I can't remember too much about getting to the ground... must have dodged a lot of the skirmishes but going in to the ground through the Imp Corner, me and my mate got stopped by a cop after we'd gone through the turnstiles, who pulled us up and asked where we thought we were going

We said we were Town fans going in to the Pontoon and his response was be careful, they're everywhere!

That really inspired confidence in the law enforcement ( NOT!) because after he let us go past him,  I half expected us to get picked off by the Leeds fans who were all hanging over the edge of the Findus pointing out Town fans to their mob

Apart from the time that Chelsea tried it on with us ( December 1980 ) Leeds' visit that day has to be the worst violence I've ever seen in and around BP

That was the time Geoff Pillay was jumped by three or four CFC thugs in the Pontoon - and went flying to all corners for their troubles. Chelsea thought they'd come and show Grimsby fans who the "top boys" were, in our small northern town, and got a good kicking and had to scranble over the fencing to get out of there in one piece. Had a great vantage point watching it all from the Findus and thought how stupid they must have been to try and take liberties just because we weren't a big football club. Muppets.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 67
Les Brechin
February 9, 2018, 2:52pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from jock dock tower

That was the time Geoff Pillay was jumped by three or four CFC thugs in the Pontoon - and went flying to all corners for their troubles. Chelsea thought they'd come and show Grimsby fans who the "top boys" were, in our small northern town, and got a good kicking and had to scranble over the fencing to get out of there in one piece. Had a great vantage point watching it all from the Findus and thought how stupid they must have been to try and take liberties just because we weren't a big football club. Muppets.

I remember that Chelsea game well. I was in The Pontoon when a group of Chelsea lads came in. One of them nicked my scarf as he was going by but a rather largely built Town fan nearby went after him, twatted him one and got my scarf back for me  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Leeds@ Grimsby 1982

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.