9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
February 7, 2018, 10:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,213
Gold Stars: 226
i took the JF conversation to indicate  he felt Asante wasnt training or trying or needed to pull his finger out in someway...hence then calling him what he did...not defending that in anyway by way .

As i said, i will never know as i know neither party personally to form a trusted opinion.

Most of us have enough masochistic intrigue to follow his short term career from here so one way or another we will keep an eye on him.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 82
KingstonMariner
February 7, 2018, 10:34pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from sam gy

One can guess that he wasn’t pulling up any trees seen as he’s never got near Slade’s squad, and he couldn’t get in the team when he was fit under Bignot either.

Fair enough he wasn’t given a chance but there’s a serious threat of relegation and It doesn’t seem to be the right time to give him a chance now!

Harsh but I would be surprised to see him in LG 2 again.

Not disputing whether he was any good. I'm questioning what evidence there was about his 'attitude'. All we've got his Fenty's throwaway remark when he didn't think many were listening. And to be honest, I wouldn't place much store on what he said.

And half the players Slade signed himself never got near the squad.

Don't think there was long when he was fit during Bignot's tenure.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 82
KingstonMariner
February 7, 2018, 10:38pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from chaos33

Are you able to comment on why JF might have called him what he did? Seems very much an extreme response to me.....

If you're trying to get rid of someone who won't go cheaply then it might cause you to curse about them!

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 82
arryarryarry
February 7, 2018, 10:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from sam gy

One can guess that he wasn’t pulling up any trees seen as he’s never got near Slade’s squad, and he couldn’t get in the team when he was fit under Bignot either.

Fair enough he wasn’t given a chance but there’s a serious threat of relegation and It doesn’t seem to be the right time to give him a chance now!

I'm beginning to think you are one of the JF squad as you always seem to come down on the club's side.

Your comment is basically silly as regards a serious threat of relegation so it isn't the right time to play him, when we aren't scoring goals and now Slade is relying on loanees who are not that prolific.

It seems to me that JF and RS would rather see us relegated than play one of Bignot's signings.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 82
arryarryarry
February 7, 2018, 10:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from sam gy

As regards to not seeing him in LG2 again, there are plenty of Slade's signings that shouldn't be playing in LG2.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 82
ginnywings
February 7, 2018, 11:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
I get the impression with most of the players leaving, that it is as much about budget as playing ability. Fair enough, the squad was/still is too big, but to my mind, on the outside looking in, the players released are the better ones we had. I also think letting Jones go was wrong. Again, we got a fee, so finance will be a factor, but couldn't we have kept him until the end of the season at least?

Now there may be other factors involved that we don't know about- fitness, attitude, fitting in with the group, whatever, but it's easier to ship out players others want, then justify it some way, than it is to offload the makeweights. Some had to go for sure, but the ones we should have got rid of, no-one else wanted.

I have been, and remain baffled by, our transfer dealings. The only thing that makes sense, is too big a squad with falling gates meant the budget had to be trimmed somehow, and selling off the family silver was the solution. I've no doubt that the players released/sold/transferred would make our side better. I remain to be convinced that we are a better side than we were when Slade took over, or better than we were before the window opened.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 82
arryarryarry
February 7, 2018, 11:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
I get the impression with most of the players leaving, that it is as much about budget as playing ability. Fair enough, the squad was/still is too big, but to my mind, on the outside looking in, the players released are the better ones we had. I also think letting Jones go was wrong. Again, we got a fee, so finance will be a factor, but couldn't we have kept him until the end of the season at least?

Now there may be other factors involved that we don't know about- fitness, attitude, fitting in with the group, whatever, but it's easier to ship out players others want, then justify it some way, than it is to offload the makeweights. Some had to go for sure, but the ones we should have got rid of, no-one else wanted.

I have been, and remain baffled by, our transfer dealings. The only thing that makes sense, is too big a squad with falling gates meant the budget had to be trimmed somehow, and selling off the family silver was the solution. I've no doubt that the players released/sold/transferred would make our side better. I remain to be convinced that we are a better side than we were when Slade took over, or better than we were before the window opened.

I haven't checked but is our squad not bigger with the 7 loanees.

One of which I understand is not likely to play again because Slade screwed up.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 82
Nelly GTFC
February 7, 2018, 11:17pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,724
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from ginnywings
I also think letting Jones go was wrong. Again, we got a fee, so finance will be a factor, but couldn't we have kept him until the end of the season at least?
I'll probally be in the minority here, but I'm glad he's gone. I'm just going by the home games, but since that penalty miss against Crawley, he's been practically useless, never been the same player again. Makes you wonder if he was tapped up, or his agent gave him knowledge making him lose interest.  No doubt he's got ability, wouldn't be surprised if he pushes on and moves up another tier.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 82
mariner91
February 7, 2018, 11:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,580
Gold Stars: 260
Who isn't likely to play again?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 82
ginnywings
February 7, 2018, 11:19pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from arryarryarry

I haven't checked but is our squad not bigger with the 7 loanees.

One of which I understand is not likely to play again because Slade screwed up.

I've no idea to be honest. Players are coming into and out of the squad at an alarming rate, and i don't know who is footing the bill for the loanees, they may well be subsidised.

What i do know is that when you have a team that chop and change constantly, as we are doing, it's usually a sign of a club in trouble. Most promoted sides, just continue on with building for the next level by adding a few better players and slowly phasing out the less able ones. We get back in the league, have 3 managers and a caretaker in less than two seasons, and more players than we can count coming and going. We can't do anything normally. We seem to be in a constant state of building for something in the future. A future point that never arrives.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 82
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Asante Gone

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.