Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Why is Slade still in a job?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 243 Guests

Why is Slade still in a job?
He's a good manager, he'll come good.
The board have given him a stupid contract, too expensive to sack him.
He has 'something' that would lead to the arrest of board members.
  View Results 141 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Why is Slade still in a job?

This thread currently has 7,434 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
February 5, 2018, 11:38am
Guest User
A simple poll. Feel free to post other reasons why Russell Slade still has a job.
Davec
February 5, 2018, 11:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
Stuart McCall is available, I would take him in a heart beat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 39
February 5, 2018, 11:48am
Guest User
Quoted from Davec
Stuart McCall is available, I would take him in a heart beat.

Me too, although I doubt he'd take us on. I'd definitely like an 'outsider' with no links to the club. A fresh outlook, backed up by a new board and we could have a new start. Just got to get through this season with our league status intact.
Reply: 2 - 39
Bigdog
February 5, 2018, 12:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Maybe the contract, maybe a lack of confidence within the boardroom to find the right replacement..

Earlier last month, I think it was stubbornness and footballing naivety by the board believing they were being prudent in not chopping and changing, but as the poor results and performances continue, there has to be a time when they have to hold their hands up and admit they were wrong. That time has already passed and the increase in crowds from his sacking would be more than enough to pay him off. The team need the boost in support from the extra fans, so it seems the logical decision to make. One step towards wholesale radical change at the club. RS is making them look more foolish by the day, he's on a terrible run as a manager for three long years and for three clubs, I don't think he has the capability to change the direction of his career. We may scrape enough points to survive.. just. But a safe pair of hands to build a squad and a bright future on the pitch for our club? Not a cat in hell's chance..

Slade out today would give everyone connected to GTFC a massive lift..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 39
grimsby pete
February 5, 2018, 12:11pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Phone call made by Slade last year, ( alleged )

Hi John how are you doing mate,

JF   In a bit of a pickle Russ, I have hired a manager that is a right fruit loop and I have told the masses that he was head and shoulders above all the other candidates.

RS  Well give it a few weeks and I will be available as Coventry are going to pay me off soon because this team is crap.

JF   Do you mean you want to come back to me Russ baby I have missed you.

RS   Sure do John I am still in the Donny area so a quick drive up the A180 and I am with you,

JF   Well let me know when your money comes through from your latest pay off Russ and I will off load this fruit loop.

RS  There is no way I will except a 6 month rolling contract John

JF    No I would not do that to you mate you can have anything you want even a sports science bloke.

RS    Ok John I will except a 6 year deal and all the saying in who and what I need to take us to the next level,

JF   Will you take a 5 year deal Russ I don't think the other board members will agree to 6,

RS    Yes I will settle for that seeing as this will be my last job in football.

JF     That's great  I await your call Russ but don't tell anybody the length of the contract we will keep it to our self.

RS    OK  John will see you soon. bye.

JF    Bye Russ you have made me a happy man and dug me out of a big hole.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 39
jamesgtfc
February 5, 2018, 12:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
I think the board are clearly falling for his salesman talk.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 39
Manchester Mariner
February 5, 2018, 12:42pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
Had to go for "He has 'something' that would lead to the arrest of board members." in order to thicken the plot.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 39
Garth
February 5, 2018, 12:42pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Could sell sand to Arabs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 39
ginnywings
February 5, 2018, 1:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Someone told me on Saturday that he had "heard from someone" Slade is on £150,000 a year. It's laughable the things people believe when they want it to be true. By next week it will have gone up to £200,000.

The average wage of a League 2 manager is about the same as senior pro's, £50,000 a year. I think Slade could possibly be on a bit more than that, but i would be staggered if it's in the region of some of the figures mentioned. It would be pure lunacy if it were, and even more so if it was tied to an extended contract. I don't think it's the finances that are stopping his departure. I think the club are just sticking to their guns. It may pay off, it may not. They will point to recent history with Hurst, though that was obviously a different situation.

Slade is on record as saying that he is a builder, not a quick fix man. If you check his stats, you will find they bear this out. His win percentage correlates with his time spent at each club, with the best one being at Orient, the club he spent the most time at. 242 games- 42% win rate. His 2 most recent jobs before us were Charlton-21 games- 23% win rate and Coventry- 16 games 18% win rate. His career win rate is around 37%, which is not too shabby. These are the things i would be looking at were i the one checking his background, coupled with asking around in the game and trying to ascertain whether recent poor performance was anything more than simply not having enough time to affect change, or indeed there was something else to suggest he was no longer capable of achieving those stats. The counter argument is that he has had quite enough time here to affect change, but has failed to do so in a positive way. I personally find his recruitment baffling, to put it politely, and to me the squad looks unbalanced and lacking in leadership and winners.

I say this as someone who is not a Slade fan; wasn't last time and i have seen nothing to suggest as yet that i will be in the future. He came here with baggage, which was always going to used against him whatever, and he is at a club which is still a bit raw from the recent sojourn into non league, with many fans fearing it is happening again. In short, he has given some very edgy and nervous fans, who already have an axe to grind with him, a very large stick with which to beat him. At the moment, the current climate among many is "get rid". Get rid of the board, get rid of the manager, get rid of the assistant, get rid of the players and it's more than understandable that this seems, on the face of it, the right thing to do. Unfortunately, i cannot see any alternatives right now that would guarantee any of those things turning around the ship. And it's right now that counts. At the end of the season, it's a different matter. The course of the remaining 14 games will go some way to deciding that.

That is why, for me, Slade is still in a job today. Tomorrow and beyond is unknown. Ask again in a couple of weeks. My inclination would be that it should have been done before now, straight after the Morecambe defeat as a preference, and that maybe it's too late in the day to change tack. I'm glad i'm not one of those that has the decision to make.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 39
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 5, 2018, 1:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Garth
Could sell sand to Arabs

What about a football club?

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 39
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Why is Slade still in a job?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.