12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
February 4, 2018, 10:07pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
As FI said, well prepared statement for once. Hope we can take it at face value but so soon after the revelations of his feelings yesterday I'm remaining sceptical.

When the game kicks off on Saturday I'll support the team as usual.

Actions speak louder than words regarding Mr Fenty. Leopards and spots spring to mind. We'll see.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 111
supertown
February 4, 2018, 10:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,415
Gold Stars: 53
He has put his name to it but I doubt he has actually written it , it’s not in his ‘style’ at all
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 111
ginnywings
February 4, 2018, 10:18pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from GrimRob
It's a good statement but I suspect until he gets rid of Slade the pressure is going to keep up. Somewhere within our vast squad there probably lie the players who a good manager could get the best out of, but I can see nothing but turmoil for the remainder of the season and then a vast clearout in the summer. They really need to rethink the whole approach to recruitment over the summer. We sign players too late and always seem to start slowly. Even under PH we rarely started well - as soon as he goes elsewhere he starts like an express train.

...in their career's.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 111
GrimRob
February 4, 2018, 10:19pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from supertown
He has put his name to it but I doubt he has actually written it , it’s not in his ‘style’ at all

He's probably written the rough draft and someone else has taken it and made it more professional. That's exactly what should be happening, his sentiments but better content. He gets criticised if he does write it and also if he doesn't!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 43 - 111
kevikov
February 4, 2018, 10:28pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +818
Gold Stars: 13
Main and only point for me is, it has only been written because of what he was recorded saying yesterday. Its deflection and distraction, he's been told to do it to appease the protesters and paying fans, which are reducing week on week. They only react to a reduction in cash flow and anything that affects it negatively.
It changes nothing tbf.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 111
HertsGTFC
February 4, 2018, 10:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
Maybe it’s an olive branch? I am taking it at face value, we can grind axes forever but it ain’t gonna get us the 15 points we need for survival.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 111
lew chaterleys lover
February 4, 2018, 10:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
He made his feelings perfectly clear, from his own mouth yesterday, most of it from the hip (a bit like me to be fair). This will be part of the news cycle locally for the next few days and will portray him in a very bad light indeed. I imagine the local press will have a field day with it.

Today we get a carefully constructed message in an attempt to diffuse the worsening situation, without of course addressing any of the underlying causes of the problem.

I think we can take our own observations from that, but it has gone beyond a clever statement. The fans will continue to be unhappy unless major changes are made including his own position, or we see concrete steps being taken for some proper and sustained investment in the football club and its infrastructure before we slide straight back to non league.    

Private Message
Reply: 46 - 111
RichMariner
February 4, 2018, 11:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
I agree that he's 100% a fan. I don't dispute his passion and his will to do well - or that he wants out. I appreciate the press release, I think its standard is an improvement and I get this 'damned if he does, damned if he doesn't' situation.

However, if he's getting PR advice he should be told to stop talking to fans privately. If he has something to say, say it to us all. If he's got nothing to hide, then bear all.

I know a lot of fans appreciate the fact that he's willing to talk to them privately, and honestly, one-to-one. I know that he wants to keep doing that - but it's not earning him brownie points (like he thinks) because: if he's only honest in private, does that mean he's not honest in public?

That statement had the potential to do more damage than good, but I think (on the whole) it's bought him a bit more time. However, results on the pitch will determine whether the tide turns again, and how soon that happens.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 47 - 111
Alfie
February 5, 2018, 7:47am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -11
Approval: +159
Quoted from RichMariner
I agree that he's 100% a fan. I don't dispute his passion and his will to do well - or that he wants out. I appreciate the press release, I think its standard is an improvement and I get this 'damned if he does, damned if he doesn't' situation.

However, if he's getting PR advice he should be told to stop talking to fans privately. If he has something to say, say it to us all. If he's got nothing to hide, then bear all.

I know a lot of fans appreciate the fact that he's willing to talk to them privately, and honestly, one-to-one. I know that he wants to keep doing that - but it's not earning him brownie points (like he thinks) because: if he's only honest in private, does that mean he's not honest in public?

That statement had the potential to do more damage than good, but I think (on the whole) it's bought him a bit more time. However, results on the pitch will determine whether the tide turns again, and how soon that happens.

Is it not universally accepted that figures of public interest from all walks of life sometimes have to frame things differently and perhaps more professionally in public versus private life?

Look at Brown ‘bigot’ gate for example.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 111
1mickylyons
February 5, 2018, 7:55am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,261
Gold Stars: 54
Fenty deserves praise for meeting this with a statement he didn`t have to he could have kept silent and hid like plenty of others do. Not his style though and after being a victim of entrapment the day before and saying a few controversial things it took courage (some would say brass neck) to put any kind of statement out knowing full well people would dissect and use it to beat him with further. All that said for me it papers over the cracks of the real problem with JF and that is listening to others.The only thing JF needs to do and should have done weeks ago is sack RS this will buy him valuable time and quieten down the supporter unrest.The statement makes all the right noises and appears an olive branch but with us now locked in a relegation battle I have grave doubts over taking it? Please John sack Slade today and the fans will unite and get behind the Club to stay in League 2 and rebuild.Keep him and you may well still keep in League 2 but at what cost?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 111
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.