2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Roast Em Bobby
February 4, 2018, 1:14pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,720
Gold Stars: 43
I came across this the other day - http://www.skysports.com/footb.....-man-utd-and-arsenal

Town's average league position over the last 50 years is 64th
Logged Offline
Private Message
RonMariner
February 4, 2018, 5:52pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,539
Gold Stars: 224
Finally a table that puts us ahead of Scunthorpe.

The ways things are going it might be a long time before we see another one.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
lew chaterleys lover
February 4, 2018, 6:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
I came across this the other day - http://www.skysports.com/footb.....-man-utd-and-arsenal

Town's average league position over the last 50 years is 64th

I saw a similar compilation, maybe 10 years ago or so, and I think we were 23rd.or something like that. i remember we were well ahead of clubs we now think of as big clubs.It just goes to show how the last decade has taken its toll.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
Swansea_Mariner
February 4, 2018, 7:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,430
Gold Stars: 63

I saw a similar compilation, maybe 10 years ago or so, and I think we were 23rd.or something like that. i remember we were well ahead of clubs we now think of as big clubs.It just goes to show how the last decade has taken its toll.

This in spades. There's been 61 seasons since the four division structure came in and during those 61 seasons we've only spent 16 in the bottom (4th) division.

8 or 50% of those seasons have been during the current ownerships tenure. Not to mention the 6 seasons out of the league, but if you do then our board has presided over some 65% of our time at levels 4 and 5 but have only represented the club for just under 25% of that those 61 seasons.

Disproportionately poor under any examination. Interestingly the division we have spent the most time in during those 61 seasons, Div 2/Championship for 22 seasons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
Roast Em Bobby
February 4, 2018, 7:20pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,720
Gold Stars: 43
Have you got a link to the 61 seasons stats? Would be interested in having a look.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
lew chaterleys lover
February 4, 2018, 7:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

This in spades. There's been 61 seasons since the four division structure came in and during those 61 seasons we've only spent 16 in the bottom (4th) division.

8 or 50% of those seasons have been during the current ownerships tenure. Not to mention the 6 seasons out of the league, but if you do then our board has presided over some 65% of our time at levels 4 and 5 but have only represented the club for just under 25% of that those 61 seasons.

Disproportionately poor under any examination. Interestingly the division we have spent the most time in during those 61 seasons, Div 2/Championship for 22 seasons.

This is a good reposte to all those naysayers who insist we are never going to be any good again. All it needs is a vision and the money (I don't ask much!) to make it happen. We must look to the future and believe we can come good again.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
Swansea_Mariner
February 4, 2018, 7:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,430
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
Have you got a link to the 61 seasons stats? Would be interested in having a look.

This is my first go at a link here so fingers crossed. Complete league record (one conference year weirdly missing):

[url]http://stats.football.co.uk/league_history/grimsby_town/index.shtml[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
Mallyner
February 4, 2018, 8:46pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,507
Gold Stars: 23

I used to rent a shop from Bill Carr a lovely bloke and he told me at the time that Grimsby couldn't afford to be as high as we were, so I think population wise, unless we had a big money investor division 1 or 2 is our natural level.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
moosey_club
February 4, 2018, 9:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,200
Gold Stars: 224
The only problem with historical stats is just that...they are historical...they do not reflect the here and now and the modern game.......a more relevant set of stats would be to look at positions in the "the modern era" ie since the interferance of Sky and the Premier and the wider social economic picture of the country.

And within a couple of seasons the recent massive TV deal monies will effect it all again.  

Where we came in 60's,70's,80's has no bearing on what we can achieve now.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
RichMariner
February 4, 2018, 9:35pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,141
Gold Stars: 209
Quoted from moosey_club
The only problem with historical stats is just that...they are historical...they do not reflect the here and now and the modern game

I know what you mean, but I don't think anyone's suggesting historical stats reflect where we should be today. It's just something interesting to look at, and a way of measuring how far we've fallen.

If people want to know what reflects the here and now they can simply look at the league table  

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Average League Positions over last 50 years

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.