Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who pays the bills when JF has had enough.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 165 Guests

Who pays the bills when JF has had enough.

This thread currently has 6,138 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Grim up north
February 4, 2018, 9:49am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +688
Gold Stars: 1
For the record I appreciate people's views /feeling the need to protest and also believe we need a change of management and fresh faces added to the board.
What I can't get my head round is the level of abuse aimed at JF both on here and in public which hit a new low with him being taped on the sly whilst giving his honest opinion to a fan ....proper c***** trick in my eyes.

JF has made a fair few mistakes all well documented and gone over a thousand times but has anyone on here who constantly slates him thought about who is going to be around to pay the daily bills and day to day running involved in a football league club when the fairy godmother doesn't step in his shoes.

Feel free to back up your Red Cross with viable solutions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
promotion plaice
February 4, 2018, 9:54am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,994
Gold Stars: 193

Not a dig at JF but how much does he actually put in per season now we are back in the football league ?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 47
Grim up north
February 4, 2018, 10:01am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +688
I haven't a clue as never spoken to the guy and don't scan the end of year accounts mate but I would guess the Bogle sale will have masked the cost of our initial season.I can imagine he dips his hands in his pockets regularly though - don't get me wrong he will secure any loan as you and I would to protect any investment from a future takeover. My problem is who dips their hand in while he's gone as if I was in his shoes I would be nowhere near the place.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 47
dapperz fun pub
February 4, 2018, 10:10am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,878
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Grim up north
I haven't a clue as never spoken to the guy and don't scan the end of year accounts mate but I would guess the Bogle sale will have masked the cost of our initial season.I can imagine he dips his hands in his pockets regularly though - don't get me wrong he will secure any loan as you and I would to protect any investment from a future takeover. My problem is who dips their hand in while he's gone as if I was in his shoes I would be nowhere near the place.

It's a concern a big concern but smaller clubs than us appear to survive and even thrive with no rich benefactor, of course the Darlington s Stockport s of this world it went the other way  .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 47
mariner91
February 4, 2018, 10:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,563
Gold Stars: 259
The accounts show that he hasn't put in any money for about five years. The fans pay the bills as they would continue to do so. Not only did he not put in any money last season, he actually took out £200,000. It is a myth that Fenty props the club up financially.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 47
oochiad
February 4, 2018, 10:17am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,675
Gold Stars: 27
A very worrying time, know one has the answers so in theory if he pulls out because of the constant abuse it could all so easily go mammaries up. Of course the people who have maybe pushed him this step to far will stand in for him and pay the bills whilst the next fairy godmother is found?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 47
bradzmilne
February 4, 2018, 10:20am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,381
Gold Stars: 29
I'm not going to pretend I know a great deal about the finances of running a football club.

However, if JF does decide to walk away (which personally I think is increasingly likely - rightly or wrongly).

What would our revenue actually need to be ? Because looking at the situation from a completely lehmans view - surely it would possible for the club to create enough revenue from TV rights, ticket sales, prize money etc. To be sustainable ? The reason why clubs spend money they cannot afford is because they want success - if we can all accept that we're in desperate need of stability prior to moving forward - id be willing to accept mediocre for the time being to achieve that.

I also feel, there is an argument that if fans knew how directly ticket sales would be impacting the club without a 'major investor' they would naturally increase. Giving us additional revenue to break even with.

We'd have to be a lot more financially witty but if we made cuts in the correct areas I think that would be possible ?

I firmly believe that there would be life in the club after JF. The fear of the unknown is terrifying but even as a worst case scenario I think we'd have to adjust our belt accordingly it wouldn't be fatal.  

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 47
Grim74
February 4, 2018, 10:26am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
These short sighted hissy fitting minority fans just don't seem to grasp this, if Fenty walks (I wouldn't blame him) then the club he's been propping up all these years would just collapse.
Some of these fans think if he was to go there would be multi millionaires lining up to take over totally delusional. The ironic thing would be that these same fans would be the first to blame Fenty for the end of GTFC.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 47
ginnywings
February 4, 2018, 10:27am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,096
Gold Stars: 548
I don't know but it's looking increasingly likely that we are about to find out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 47
dapperz fun pub
February 4, 2018, 10:30am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,878
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Grim74
These short sighted hissyfitting minority fans just don't seem to grasp this, if Fenty walks (I wouldn't blame him) then the club he's been propping up all these years would just collapse.
Some of these fans think if he was to go there would be multi millionaires lining up to take over totally delusional. The ironic thing would be that these same fans would be the first to blame Fenty for the end of GTFC.

Hissyfitting is such a under used word
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 47
KingstonMariner
February 4, 2018, 10:39am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
The bills will get paid as they get paid now. JF hasn't put any money in for years as mariner91 points out.

Some people seem to be happy with the idea that a rich man can call the shots all the time and intercourse the club up because he lent the club some money years ago. Some people are happy to go along with this because they believe their 'entertainment' is subsidised by this rich man.

Utter self-deluding, forelock tugging nonsense.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 47
MuddyWaters
February 4, 2018, 11:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
For the record I appreciate people's views /feeling the need to protest and also believe we need a change of management and fresh faces added to the board.
What I can't get my head round is the level of abuse aimed at JF both on here and in public which hit a new low with him being taped on the sly whilst giving his honest opinion to a fan ....proper c***** trick in my eyes.

JF has made a fair few mistakes all well documented and gone over a thousand times but has anyone on here who constantly slates him thought about who is going to be around to pay the daily bills and day to day running involved in a football league club when the fairy godmother doesn't step in his shoes.

Good question, perhaps you could send an e-mail together with your bank details and suggestions to stephen@gtfc.co.uk
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 47
HertsGTFC
February 4, 2018, 11:16am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,870
Gold Stars: 227
The question of what he has and hasn't put in recently is irrelevant the more pressing question is more around what options we have moving forward.

I suspect that the last significant sum he put on the table was as per various reported pieces the money we need ed for Wembley (both trips?) in 2016. That would not just be the cost of the trip, suits, accommodation etc.. I am sure it would also have been a bonus pot for the players. He took that back out of the Bogle money which is fair enough in my view, the less debt the club has the better.

So where are we?

- John has said he will move over and will not immediately take his money back.
- His caveat is someone has to have "the wherewithal", which I assume would be some capital & expertise
- Will the other directors would move over so do we need a new "non-chairman" or a new board..
- There are no credible takers.  

So if someone came in looking at the accounts etc.. they would inherent a "business" that appears,

- To be run very lean, in fact in some aspects too lean
- A cash flow that can be really impacted by low gates.
- Big funding streams like the drip down TV money that you can't control.
- A working capital that appears very thin.  
- A break-even point that is very fragile and failure to achieve that will cause problems very quickly.
- The point above has the most influence on the quality of the playing squad.    
- A fixed asset in BP that is severely dilapidated
- Unless we re-locate there is very little opportunity to grow this business  
- Many "customers" have chosen to spend their money elsewhere and getting them back will be hard  
- All of the above means that you cannot attract he talent you need to be successful.
- The staff (players) have too much power and their poor performance can ruin things over night

So what do we do?

The first thing you do is to change the club to a joint venture partnership. This will allow John to keep the asset value and effectively just become a B shares director. If a buyer came in he would get money back but would not be involved in the day to day running of the club/business.

You then can recruit paid A share directors who,

- Buy a very small amount of shares for a nominal amount, usually in JVP models £50, if the business actually has trading value the share price can be more.

- Are accountable for the management of the club.

- Will have the relevant backgrounds & expertise to add value on and off the pitch.

These directors are not in real terms employed by the club so JF could not order them to do things  as they would have a service agreement which supports collaborative working. Their remuneration would be by form of a reasonable salary and distributions form profits based upon equity.

If the club makes a profit the can have a share but legally they can't take what they like and their distributions could only be taken after a working playing and operating budget had been agreed and moved to a separate account, The playing budget would just be a percentage of income and trading forecast..

The above sounds like a "mad cap scheme" but if anyone would care to do their research one of the UK's most successful family/privately owned retail business's operates this model and has grown to a world wide player.        

What are the benefits? Away from potentially financial the main benefits are that John can step aside and won't be able to `dabble or interfere in the day to day running of the club. Also as the club generates profit and the A shares take distributions they can use that money to buy the club back from JF if they choose to but they will not be obliged to do so.

We can recruit directors who have expertise in both football club management and the football business which is what is missing and has caught us out consistently over the years JF has been involved.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 47
DavidB
February 4, 2018, 11:34am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +192
Quoted from HertsGTFC
The question of what he has and hasn't put in recently is irrelevant the more pressing question is more around what options we have moving forward.

I suspect that the last significant sum he put on the table was as per various reported pieces the money we need ed for Wembley (both trips?) in 2016. That would not just be the cost of the trip, suits, accommodation etc.. I am sure it would also have been a bonus pot for the players. He took that back out of the Bogle money which is fair enough in my view, the less debt the club has the better.

So where are we?

- His caveat is someone has to have "the wherewithal", which I assume would be some capital & expertise
- Will the other directors would move over so do we need a new "non-chairman" or a new board..

So if someone came in looking at the accounts etc.. they would inherent a "business" that appears,

- A break-even point that is very fragile and failure to achieve that will cause problems very quickly.
- Many "customers" have chosen to spend their money elsewhere and getting them back will be hard  
- All of the above means that you cannot attract he talent you need to be successful.
- The staff (players) have too much power and their poor performance can ruin things over night

So what do we do?

The first thing you do is to change the club to a joint venture partnership. This will allow John to keep the asset value and effectively just become a B shares director. If a buyer came in he would get money back but would not be involved in the day to day running of the club/business.

- Buy a very small amount of shares for a nominal amount, usually in JVP models £50, if the business actually has trading value the share price can be more.

- Will have the relevant backgrounds & expertise to add value on and off the pitch.

These directors are not in real terms employed by the club so JF could not order them to do things  as they would have a service agreement which supports collaborative working. Their remuneration would be by form of a reasonable salary and distributions form profits based upon equity.

If the club makes a profit the can have a share but legally they can't take what they like and their distributions could only be taken after a working playing and operating budget had been agreed and moved to a separate account, The playing budget would just be a percentage of income and trading forecast..

The above sounds like a "mad cap scheme" but if anyone would care to do their research one of the UK's most successful family/privately owned retail business's operates this model and has grown to a world wide player.        

What are the benefits? Away from potentially financial the main benefits are that John can step aside and won't be able to `dabble or interfere in the day to day running of the club. Also as the club generates profit and the A shares take distributions they can use that money to buy the club back from JF if they choose to but they will not be obliged to do so.

We can recruit directors who have expertise in both football club management and the football business which is what is missing and has caught us out consistently over the years JF has been involved.  

Excellent objective analysis HertsGTFC!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 47
Vance Warner
February 4, 2018, 11:43am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,775
Gold Stars: 100
To play devil's advocate to the original post can we afford for him not to step down? We had 3,300 yesterday, 5,500 less than Lincoln and 14,000 less than Notts County. While we stand still others are moving forward and leaving us behind.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 47
sam gy
February 4, 2018, 12:05pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,416
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from bradzmilne
I'm not going to pretend I know a great deal about the finances of running a football club.

However, if JF does decide to walk away (which personally I think is increasingly likely - rightly or wrongly).

What would our revenue actually need to be ? Because looking at the situation from a completely lehmans view - surely it would possible for the club to create enough revenue from TV rights, ticket sales, prize money etc. To be sustainable ? The reason why clubs spend money they cannot afford is because they want success - if we can all accept that we're in desperate need of stability prior to moving forward - id be willing to accept mediocre for the time being to achieve that.

I also feel, there is an argument that if fans knew how directly ticket sales would be impacting the club without a 'major investor' they would naturally increase. Giving us additional revenue to break even with.

We'd have to be a lot more financially witty but if we made cuts in the correct areas I think that would be possible ?

I firmly believe that there would be life in the club after JF. The fear of the unknown is terrifying but even as a worst case scenario I think we'd have to adjust our belt accordingly it wouldn't be fatal.  

Being sustainable is one thing, moving forward and growing is another and something we desperately need to do.

I don’t buy that fans will be happy to tread water if it means having a fan owned club. We all know that as soon as results get bad, the fans turn. There was barely a whisper of FENTY OUT whilst in the national league, because we were winning most weeks. It all started again when we got promoted and realised we’re no longer a big fish in a small pond.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 47
Marinerz93
February 4, 2018, 12:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Quoted from HertsGTFC

So where are we?

So what do we do?

Email it to John and ask for a reply, great post by the way and shows the Fentyistas there is a way forward without him being involved. As M91 pointed out The accounts show that he hasn't put in any money for about five years. The fans pay the bills as they would continue to do so. It is a myth that Fenty props the club up financially. No wonder we stagnate, his business decisions have only taken us downwards.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 47
HertsGTFC
February 4, 2018, 12:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

Email it to John and ask for a reply, great post by the way and shows the Fentyistas there is a way forward without him being involved. As M91 pointed out The accounts show that he hasn't put in any money for about five years. The fans pay the bills as they would continue to do so. It is a myth that Fenty props the club up financially. No wonder we stagnate, his business decisions have only taken us downwards.

I tried to PM him but it wouldn't send so if anyone knows a better way or can send me the correct spelling of his profile I'd be grateful.

This could be done and is an alternative to what we have heard before.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 47
Ipswin
February 4, 2018, 12:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Vance Warner
To play devil's advocate to the original post can we afford for him not to step down? We had 3,300 yesterday, 5,500 less than Lincoln and 14,000 less than Notts County. While we stand still others are moving forward and leaving us behind.

Purely and simply because of (current) success on the pitch.

In that regard Fenty can only affect things in two ways

1 A change of manager (will cost money)
2 New better players (will cost money)

He has to increase his 'benign' debt by making even more loans - vicious circle innit?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 47
Marinerz93
February 4, 2018, 12:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I tried to PM him but it wouldn't send so if anyone knows a better way or can send me the correct spelling of his profile I'd be grateful.

This could be done and is an alternative to what we have heard before.

Alternative is print it off and send it registered post. I feel what you have put down is fantastic and it gives Fenty a credible way of leaving without things getting worse. How soon could your plan be implemented?

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 47
Vance Warner
February 4, 2018, 12:48pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

Purely and simply because of (current) success on the pitch.

In that regard Fenty can only affect things in two ways

1 A change of manager (will cost money)
2 New better players (will cost money)

He has to increase his 'benign' debt by making even more loans - vicious circle innit?

And success on the pitch comes from good decisions in the boardroom not just investment. We would also have had the second lowest attendance in League One yesterday for those who think that is still our rightful place in the pyramid.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 47
HertsGTFC
February 4, 2018, 12:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

Alternative is print it off and send it registered post. I feel what you have put down is fantastic and it gives Fenty a credible way of leaving without things getting worse. How soon could your plan be implemented?

To be fair as long as everyone agrees then you just need a good corporate lawyer an accountant do some sensible 5 year projections and then a bucket load of due diligence on all involved. You would need to set up a new company but that could potentially still own or be owned by GTFC in real terms. It’s not illegal or dodgy many business’s do it all the time.

As the A share directors get a salary and distributions it’s more tax efficient too. The only stumbling block is the you would have to have a board meeting followed by an EGM to get majority agreement.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 47
Zmariner
February 4, 2018, 1:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,115
Gold Stars: 44

Exactly, job opening. Pay lousy, stress plenty and you need to put your own cash in. You will also get plenty of abuse
Now JF has made a few mistakes,as do we all but still a massive fan and I am curious for all those shouters yesterday who is had the cash and time to take this on. I would guess SLADE has negotiated a decent contract and this is why we a stuck. In all honesty I did not expect SLADE to be this useless and I bet JF did not as well. When we are like Stockport, Darlington, York......... we can think on this
Priority is staying up and pulling together, the club do need to issue a rallying call, , Marley should stick to what he know in the background as front of house he is a sharp object. The rest of us need to join forces and Slade needs to engage with us Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 47
Roast Em Bobby
February 4, 2018, 1:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,720
Gold Stars: 43
No doubt I'll get red crosses for saying this, but I really do think the Marley bashing is unfair. He only told the guy to "shut up" because he was asked a question and then when he started to answer it the guy who asked the question started ranting and talking over him. I would bet 99% of people on here would have told the bloke to shut up. Watch the video if you don't believe me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 47
Marinerz93
February 4, 2018, 1:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

To be fair as long as everyone agrees then you just need a good corporate lawyer an accountant do some sensible 5 year projections and then a bucket load of due diligence on all involved. You would need to set up a new company but that could potentially still own or be owned by GTFC in real terms. It’s not illegal or dodgy many business’s do it all the time.

As the A share directors get a salary and distributions it’s more tax efficient too. The only stumbling block is the you would have to have a board meeting followed by an EGM to get majority agreement.

It's sounding better all the time, I just hope Fenty listens and gets the right advice on going forward with this. Keep up the great work Herts.

Private Message
Reply: 24 - 47
TAGG
February 4, 2018, 1:37pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,973
Gold Stars: 123

Mr Fenty hasn't put any cash into the club for years intact he had 250 k out last year so don't know where  you are coming from.
It's said we need 3500 through the gate to break even.
If the whole lot of em leave then there will be a ground swell of support for the new regime witch will be a start.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 47
toontown
February 4, 2018, 1:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
No doubt I'll get red crosses for saying this, but I really do think the Marley bashing is unfair. He only told the guy to "shut up" because he was asked a question and then when he started to answer it the guy who asked the question started ranting and talking over him. I would bet 99% of people on here would have told the bloke to shut up. Watch the video if you don't believe me.

At the fans forum (designed to engage fans with the club and build better relations) he also criticised fans for not knowing his name FFS! A perfect example of the boards incompetence at public relations, and frankly unprofessional and embarrassing.  99% of fans would not know the names of all the board of directors at their club. If he wants fans singing his name he should get out on the pitch and stick a few in the back of the net - Christ knows we need it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 47
Mrs Doyle
February 4, 2018, 1:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Not necessarily true about support football is result driven always has been and always will be the crowds follow that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 47
TAGG
February 4, 2018, 1:54pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

If a new company was put in place would that mean that all employees would have to then reapply for there jobs (including Slade/Wilko) 😉?????
If they had to do this and not come up to scratch would they then be let go with no compo???

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 47
Ipswin
February 4, 2018, 2:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from TAGG
If the whole lot of em leave then there will be a ground swell of support for the new regime witch will be a start.

The initial increased attendances following Fenty's demise will only last so long as we are winning games. 11 without a win will see the same drop off in numbers

Private Message
Reply: 29 - 47
MuddyWaters
February 4, 2018, 2:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235

Well at least he's go £2000 worth of shares compared to Chapman's £500.

Telling a fan to 'shut up' is one thing, but the 'don't you know who I am?' is pretty crass.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 47
HertsGTFC
February 4, 2018, 2:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from TAGG

If a new company was put in place would that mean that all employees would have to then reapply for there jobs (including Slade/Wilko) 😉?????
If they had to do this and not come up to scratch would they then be let go with no compo???

Nope but everyone would have a new boss, they can sometimes be easy to please  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 47
Mrs Doyle
February 4, 2018, 3:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Don't forget also the links to player and shirt sponsorship like young's been a great deal over the years.

No guarantee they would want to continue.

All the backroom/club shop peoples jobs would be under threat it's a huge gamble imho.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 47
HertsGTFC
February 4, 2018, 3:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Don't forget also the links to player and shirt sponsorship like young's been a great deal over the years.

All the backroom/club shop peoples jobs would be under threat it's a huge gamble imho.

Why would they employees just TUPE across, there is a bigger risk to jobs if we get relegated.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 47
Ipswin
February 4, 2018, 3:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

That is a very valid and worrying point I don't know how much they put in and how long the agreement is but I don't fancy replacing Youngs on the shirts with Attaturks Barbers in Stanley street

Private Message
Reply: 34 - 47
Cloudy
February 4, 2018, 4:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Well at least he's go £2000 worth of shares compared to Chapman's £500.

Telling a fan to 'shut up' is one thing, but the 'don't you know who I am?' is pretty crass.

I think Chapman has some loans  too. It isn't a great sum but more than £2k that's for sure
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 47
TAGG
February 4, 2018, 4:31pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Nope but everyone would have a new boss, they can sometimes be easy to please  

I will stop grasping at that particular straw then    

GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 47
Vance Warner
February 4, 2018, 4:51pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

You may well be right but do you have any evidence of that? I remember the outrage on Hullberside when Dixons of Hull invested in us. I also remember the Jarvis fiasco.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 47
headingly_mariner
February 4, 2018, 5:12pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,314
Gold Stars: 113
I think that we are now likely to get relegated if not this season then next year. I think if the board stays the same we are in big trouble. I also think if Fenty leaves, it won't be in a way that is beneficial to the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 47
cleethorpes_mariner
February 4, 2018, 6:12pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +313
Quoted from mariner91
The accounts show that he hasn't put in any money for about five years. The fans pay the bills as they would continue to do so. Not only did he not put in any money last season, he actually took out £200,000. It is a myth that Fenty props the club up financially.

To be fair thats because  in the last 5 years we have been to Wembley 4 times, Done well in the FA trophy and sold a player for a bucket load of cash.  I seem to think somewhere it was mentioned (fans forum) that the club player budget is set at a competitive level but gives the club a 300k loss each year. this loss is hopefully made up by either bigger than estimated gates or football fortune, If neither happens then I would think the 300k or the shortfall then has to be paid by JF.

Sorry but I cannot see us going to Wembley anytime soon and other than Dembele I dont see us getting money for anyone else.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 47
headingly_mariner
February 4, 2018, 6:51pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,314
Gold Stars: 113

To be fair thats because  in the last 5 years we have been to Wembley 4 times, Done well in the FA trophy and sold a player for a bucket load of cash.  I seem to think somewhere it was mentioned (fans forum) that the club player budget is set at a competitive level but gives the club a 300k loss each year. this loss is hopefully made up by either bigger than estimated gates or football fortune, If neither happens then I would think the 300k or the shortfall then has to be paid by JF.

Sorry but I cannot see us going to Wembley anytime soon and other than Dembele I dont see us getting money for anyone else.

We get 700k for being in the league. Our gates should more than cover a competitive budget for this division. The problem is since we've been back we've had 3 managers and about 60 players. Making the same mistakes that took us out the league last time. Buy cheap, buy twice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 47
Rodley Mariner
February 4, 2018, 7:00pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176

FA Trophy next season?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 47
cleethorpes_mariner
February 4, 2018, 7:02pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from headingly_mariner

We get 700k for being in the league. Our gates should more than cover a competitive budget for this division. The problem is since we've been back we've had 3 managers and about 60 players. Making the same mistakes that took us out the league last time. Buy cheap, buy twice.

Agreed the amount of players we have must be costing a fortune, Not sure about the 700k but I would think league 2 players will be on allot more wages than conference players, also less games at home so less gate money and match day income now we dont have the FA trophy, Its ok saying buy cheap but if you dont have the budget to get the best what would you suggest, take a risk and hope it all goes ok
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 47
cleethorpes_mariner
February 4, 2018, 7:03pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

FA Trophy next season?

I hope we never qualify for this comp ever again,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 47
moosey_club
February 4, 2018, 7:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,195
Gold Stars: 224

This seasons accounts will make interesting reading....cant imagine we will turn a profit this year....35 + players on the books....no cup runs....ST holders down......crowd average down....Slades alleged wages....its this type of season that supporters need to consider when tubthumping for sack the board.
You can argue we can have a smaller squad, crowds may upturn but none of those are guaranteed.....appointing a manager is a lottery.....every season out of 92 clubs only around a dozen can be seen as succesful or winners....get it wrong and you may be sacking, recruiting again.....player merry go round again....you need capital to support that.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 47
Cloudy
February 4, 2018, 9:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from moosey_club

This seasons accounts will make interesting reading....cant imagine we will turn a profit this year....35 + players on the books....no cup runs....ST holders down......crowd average down....Slades alleged wages....its this type of season that supporters need to consider when tubthumping for sack the board.
You can argue we can have a smaller squad, crowds may upturn but none of those are guaranteed.....appointing a manager is a lottery.....every season out of 92 clubs only around a dozen can be seen as succesful or winners....get it wrong and you may be sacking, recruiting again.....player merry go round again....you need capital to support that.

Did the fans sign ( or ask for) 35 + players?

With sensible management and more focus on income generation I remain totally convinced that Grimsby Town FC can be competitive in the 4th tier without a benefactor propping up the club
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 47
KingstonMariner
February 4, 2018, 10:28pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

You are right about that incident.

However the guy is still a patronising git.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 47
gaz57
February 5, 2018, 12:46am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +993
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Ipswin

That is a very valid and worrying point I don't know how much they put in and how long the agreement is but I don't fancy replacing Youngs on the shirts with Attaturks Barbers in Stanley street

At least they should have something for the weekend.   . UTMM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 47
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who pays the bills when JF has had enough.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.