Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -113
Gold Stars: 20
Quoted from Abdul19

Nope

Shucks!

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 50
HertsGTFC
February 3, 2018, 9:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
That was not a good performance once again a GTFC team gets roughed up Cheltenham. Of the starting 11 only Collins, Mills, Summers, Dixon (oddly enough) and Clarke stuck up for themselves.

This just further illustrates that loan players especially some young and inexperienced ones will not have the necessary backbone to keep you up and there lies the problem ladies and gentleman.

In the final 3rd we where and are poor. I'm really frustrated as we did get in some decent positions but once again either that lack of composure or just plain inability to hit the target let us down, in all honesty I think their keeper only really made one save in open play.

Today Killip once again looked too nervous which indicates he might not be ready, thought Mills had a good game as overall did Dixon and when Collins went off I thought Clarke stood up well. Summers was o.k.in open play but his dead ball delivery was poor, Berret needs to grow a pair and Verman is clearly not a wide player.

Wilks looks like he has a bit and the lad from Walsall also looked like he knows what to do, neither of them are fit enough though which is to be expected. I actually felt a bit for Matt as clearly he was struggling in the air against their center halves and we insisted in knocking it up to him, he's better when someone puts the ball in front IMHO. However he should get his wages deducted for not getting a shot on target at the very least with the opportunity at near the end.  

In essence though though the problems not the players they arguably are good enough to keep us up, its the manger and his assistant they are clueless and couldn't set up a subbuteo team never mind a team of professional footballers.

Irony plays a big part in sport, so a last day defeat at VGR will surely send us down, at this rate I can't see us beating anyone.

Slade Out!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 50
ginnywings
February 3, 2018, 10:04pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
I've read various comments about us sitting back too deep and allowing them to come at us. We didn't allow it, they were just better organised than us and pushed us back. They had recognised players in recognised roles, and despite being a bit agricultural and not possessing the killer players to punish us, were very well set up and working to a plan they all understand and stick to. They were forcing us to hit it long or make hurried passes and then coming right back at us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 50
HertsGTFC
February 3, 2018, 10:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from ginnywings
I've read various comments about us sitting back too deep and allowing them to come at us. We didn't allow it, they were just better organised than us and pushed us back. They had recognised players in recognised roles, and despite being a bit agricultural and not possessing the killer players to punish us, were very well set up and working to a plan they all understand and stick to. They were forcing us to hit it long or make hurried passes and then coming right back at us.

That's the difference they knew their jobs our lads didn't and usually don't.

Too much power point I reckon.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 50
Tommy
February 3, 2018, 10:24pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
1st Half we actually had a few spells were we put together a decent passage of football. Got the great start and there was a decent bit of noise in the crowd too supporting the team.

Incidentally the noise/atmosphere seemed to die off after that 14th minute protest chanting - which didn't exactly sound like a majority did it, and was matched by others booing them.

2nd half we didn't have any spells of composed possession as we did in the 1st and so we couldn't manage the game properly. Cheltenham didn't create anything and they were only ever going to score from chucking it into our box from a set play and that's what happened.

Wilks looked promising. Can beat a man 1v1 and good pace.

Mills slotted in at CB well and RHJ looked very good on the ball.

Some saying Vernam was quiet (would be understandable out of position) but I thought he was ok 1st half when we play a bit of football. Switched it from right to left a few times.

Dixon again was OK I thought. As I've thought previously, does alright with a quick winger ahead of him. Just like Woolford would be alright with a Connor Townsend type at full back overlapping him.

Thought it was a mistake leaving Collins on, you could tell he was concussed as soon as he came back on. That'll be him out for 2 weeks now as per protocol won't it.

Matt was poor again IMO. Very little stuck when it went up to him. Poor touch too many times. I'd have brought him off for DJ and put Wilks up through the middle.

Jackson looks like he'll be a proper no.9 and poach goals in the box. Showed strength and was a decent target at times too.

Can't believe Matt didn't bury that chance to win it. Criminal to not hit the target. If you could ask for a volley to be set up to hit at goal, that's pretty much how you'd want it.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 50
Croxton
February 3, 2018, 10:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
Excellent summary.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 50
Maringer
February 3, 2018, 10:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Thing is, when you're facing a team who are aiming to get their many big lads into the box as often as possible and then lump/chuck the ball into them, you have to be able to stand up to them physically and then either outplay them at the other end or take your chances when they come along.

We generally did OK in defensive areas under a lot of pressure (a couple of scrambles in the area aside), but were really up against it once Collins had to go off.

If you can't out muscle the opposition, you have to outplay them and, unfortunately, we weren't capable of either today. Pell is a decent midfielder and, alongside him, their No. 25 kept the ball moving nicely for them so they actually played decent stuff in midfield as well as sticking the ball into the box as effectively as you'd expect.

Disappointing not to see some better attacking from us but three of our attackers have only been here 5 minutes so no great surprise that they were playing like strangers at times.

Given some time to train and play together for these players, you'd perhaps have seen more from us. That's the problem when you don't make decent signings in the summer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 50
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 3, 2018, 10:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,502
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from TAGG
First 15 going forward with intent, after that utter excrement again.
If we had been playing a decent side we would have been hammered.
Wilks was good first off but ran out of steam.
Summerfield MOM for his effort.
Slade just has not got a clue.
I will be watching the rest of the games this season but no chance of me buying a ST again if this clown is still in charge.

We are excrement and I can't see us winning another game this season.
Thanks Mr Fenty

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 50
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 3, 2018, 11:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,502
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from TAGG
First 15 going forward with intent, after that utter excrement again.
If we had been playing a decent side we would have been hammered.
Wilks was good first off but ran out of steam.
Summerfield MOM for his effort.
Slade just has not got a clue.
I will be watching the rest of the games this season but no chance of me buying a ST again if this clown is still in charge.

We are excrement and I can't see us winning another game this season.
Thanks Mr Fenty

Sorry about that trying to watch MOD and post comments and must leave it to the Mrs to try and do two things at once.

Re Summerfield agree re his effort but thought he had a poor day distribution wise with his two second half free kicks perfect examples his radar was not switched on. He also hesitated two or three times on the edge of our box and lost possession that said Berrett gave him no support at all.

MoM for me Clarke or Mills as against those big buggers they defended pretty heroically I thought.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.