Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Are we expecting too much?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 351 Guests

Are we expecting too much?

This thread currently has 2,064 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Ipswin
February 3, 2018, 11:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Obviously it is vital we avoid relegation but otherwise are we expecting too much? Were we really expecting to challenge for the play offs? After all once Hurst disbanded the promotion squad all hope of emulating Bristol Rovers with a second promotion was surely just a pipe dream.

I appreciate that Slade hasn't got a clue how to play entertaining football (which is possibly the main wish of regular fans) His signings have been awful and like Hurst he too has disbanded the squad put together by Bignot (and who knows what given time they might have achieved)

I also appreciate that Fenty is a total disaster who sadly pulls all the strings at BP and is unchallengable but position-wise are we all expecting too much?

Perhaps its time to realise that the heady days of Div 2 (the real Div 2 I mean) are long gone never to return whoever is in the (non) chairman's chair or in the dugout. Time maybe to accept that Grimsby Town are a mid to lower (new style) Div 2 side, that is our true position in the Football League ladder and anything else is a bonus.

Hopefully when Slade eventually goes exciting, attractive, entertaining and even attacking football will return with 3-2 wins 4-3 losses and the odd cup giant killing but anything from 10th down to 17th will be acceptable and understood by all but those with the glued on rose tinted glasses and ideas above our station.

Who knows (as its been shown before) the animosity towards John Fenty who after all is not that bad a bloke (never thought I'd type that!) might even dissipate after a few wins and disappearance of relegation fears and he might just get the PR right if he's a happier bunny, he'll never be approachable and he'll never listen but perhaps we might not be bending his ear so often after the odd 6-5 win (sadly not against Burnley tho')

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
oldun
February 3, 2018, 11:24am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
No no no, we do not have to accept that we are forever destined to be a mid table league 2 team. That just sums up the lack of ambition around the club and the town. Things must change
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 12
barrattstandman
February 3, 2018, 11:27am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +478
Gold Stars: 17
starting with the fans attitude. How about a counter demonstration ......” sit down and shut up “
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 12
Grimbiggs
February 3, 2018, 11:40am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
I for one don't except the situation that we are destined to remain a middling league two team, if teams like Shrewsbury, Accrington, Newport and Lincoln can compete for promotion, why can't we? are they bigger than us?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 12
sapper mariner
February 3, 2018, 11:49am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +486
Gold Stars: 7
after Hurst left we seem to have lost all momentum in all areas of the club. if anyone in a decision making role at the club thinks that we are a mid table league 2 club and is happy to accept that then they need to walk away.

Ubique
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 12
Ipswin
February 3, 2018, 11:58am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Grimbiggs
I for one don't except the situation that we are destined to remain a middling league two team, if teams like Shrewsbury, Accrington, Newport and Lincoln can compete for promotion, why can't we? are they bigger than us?

I am sick to the back teeth with the constant 'we are a much bigger club than them' argument. Why are we bigger? Past glories I assume which mean absolutely intercourse all in the 21st century. 'We take more fans away' is often quoted and other team's away following is often derided, so what? Sadly it means nowt in terms of league position and the likely future of the club.

Take it for what it is, all four teams you quote are better than us, the size of the club is irrelevant - look at Coventry or if you want a closer comparison Tranmere, Wrexham or Orient

Be thankful for being where we are and be satisfied if we can stay there - push for better football by all means, just don't expect miracles from a lower league team in an ancient ground in a run down town  that no decent player wants to come to and who can't be tempted by what we can offer in wages. What do you expect from a team made up of loan players who have no loyalty to the club, connection to the area, are just passing through or if they do sign won't ever move to the town and will at best stay for just two seasons.

We are mid table in the 4th Division for a reason - its called 'modern football' - like it or not we should be grateful - ask Stockport, York or Torquay fans, no one has a God given right nowadays

Private Message
Reply: 5 - 12
ginnywings
February 3, 2018, 12:06pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Firstly, who kidnapped Ipswin and replaced him with this moderate imposter?

Joking aside, i don't expect promotion challenges every season and most of the years i have spent watching Town have ended in mid table obscurity, with the odd promotion and plenty of relegations. It's part and parcel of supporting a lower league football club.

I do expect us to compete in this league though and not be looking over our shoulders for the third time in four league 2 seasons. I'm always prepared to be patient with a manager and wait for the good times to come along if i can see some sort of plan and progress. I'm not expecting Buckley-esque football as long as the results are acceptable.

I'm well aware that not all teams come back into the league and carry that momentum forward. For every Bristol Rovers, there is a Luton. My fear is that the way we are going, we will do a York City and i don't think it is too much to ask of a club that is/could be, very well supported in this league and the one above, that we shouldn't be struggling as badly as we are right now. Lessons are not being learned.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 12
MuddyWaters
February 3, 2018, 12:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Ipswin

I am sick to the back teeth with the constant 'we are a much bigger club than them' argument. Why are we bigger? Past glories I assume which mean absolutely intercourse all in the 21st century. 'We take more fans away' is often quoted and other team's away following is often derided, so what? Sadly it means nowt in terms of league position and the likely future of the club.

Take it for what it is, all four teams you quote are better than us, the size of the club is irrelevant - look at Coventry or if you want a closer comparison Tranmere, Wrexham or Orient

Be thankful for being where we are and be satisfied if we can stay there - push for better football by all means, just don't expect miracles from a lower league team in an ancient ground in a run down town  that no decent player wants to come to and who can't be tempted by what we can offer in wages. What do you expect from a team made up of loan players who have no loyalty to the club, connection to the area, are just passing through or if they do sign won't ever move to the town and will at best stay for just two seasons.

We are mid table in the 4th Division for a reason - its called 'modern football' - like it or not we should be grateful - ask Stockport, York or Torquay fans, no one has a God given right nowadays

I think we need to understand how far League clubs progressed in terms of infrastructure while we were non-League. My personal belief is that it's the main reason we are struggling to compete. That obviously was Paul Hurst's concern and why he wanted more backroom staff and begs the question as to why we let ourselves get into that mess in the first place.

That said, we are where we are. I would just like to see a plan to fully re-integrate the club at this level - from the outside looking in (which is all we are allowed and trusted to do), it looks like it's on the back of a ciggy (didn't use f@g!) packet.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 12
TAGG
February 3, 2018, 12:13pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,961
Gold Stars: 124
Are we expecting too much? NO

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 12
Ipswin
February 3, 2018, 12:17pm
Vodka Drinker
I suppose I'm just asking people to be realistic that's all. I'll be at Cambridge no doubt moaning and groaning with the best of 'em about Slade and Fenty but when I get a chance to think about it I'll realise I shouldn't really be surprised

Private Message
Reply: 9 - 12
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Are we expecting too much?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.