Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Would you accept Foreign Investment?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 255 Guests

Would you accept a foreign investor/buyer
Yes
No
Depends what they give for Transfer Budget
  View Results 115 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Would you accept Foreign Investment?

This thread currently has 4,170 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
golfer
February 2, 2018, 6:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,419
Gold Stars: 115
You don't think anybody whether English,French,Chinese or Pekingese would invest in a club with Slade as manager and Dixon at left back
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 28
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
February 2, 2018, 6:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Voted yes because I can’t think of anything different that bad foreign owners have done that we havnt already had apart from logo/name changes and at this point im past caring.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 28
Grimsby2012
February 2, 2018, 6:21pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,466
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from promotion plaice

Why not give Kim Jong-Un a call...........he'd give Slade a rocket.

Tried. Just got an email back from someone called no Foo kin wa

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 28
KingstonMariner
February 2, 2018, 6:26pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Voted yes because I can’t think of anything different that bad foreign owners have done that we havnt already had apart from logo/name changes and at this point im past caring.

Leyton Orient?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 28
Bigdog
February 2, 2018, 6:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
A definite no-no to a foreign owner or even a foreign manager for that matter. Superficially attractive but too much danger of ending up as a financial pawn like Leeds, Birmingham, Reading etc.

I don't mind Fenty being the owner, at least he's local. I just don't like him running the club. My stance on this has always been that if he cannot or will not sell the club he should recognise that he might have been a good fish merchant but he has proved time and again he is lousy at running a football club. Common sense should tell him he is paying through the nose for his own mistakes.

He should  step back from the day to day and employ or partner with a proper football person as chairman/chief executive. Just because you own a club does not mean you have to iron the kit and be the tea lady.

He was a nutty as a fruit cake and loved sacking managers, but ask any Leeds fans and they'll tell you that Ridsdale and Bates did far more damage to the club than Cellino ever did..

There's good, bad and indifferent foreign and homegrown football club owners, we just need to find a good one from anywhere in the world not exclusively with a British passport or born on the tiny piece of land called NE Lincs..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 28
Grimsby2012
February 2, 2018, 7:34pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,466
Gold Stars: 22
Updated.

WIll send emails if the Yes vote continues as it does.

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 28
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 2, 2018, 7:45pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Bigdog

He was a nutty as a fruit cake and loved sacking managers, but ask any Leeds fans and they'll tell you that Ridsdale and Bates did far more damage to the club than Cellino ever did..

None of the clubs I mentioned have had a trouble free ride from foreign investment. In between Risdale and the current owners there was chaos at Leeds. Bates had at least stabilised the finances but the fans were spoilt by the transfer budget they were used to and he got stick from the terraces for lack of results. Then all hell broke loose with the Middle East based lot and then Cellini etc. I think you would struggle to find many Leeds fans who are happy with the current set up either.

That said, the main reason I am against foreign owners is that it becomes a small step to having a foreign manager and an even smaller one to getting foreign players. At our level they will not be very good ones either.  It is hard enough for young UK players to make it as it is without clogging the team with a load of Menno Willems.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 28
chaos33
February 2, 2018, 8:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Agree RRFC, especially with the bit about Menno Willems!

What we ideally want is a set up like Scunthorpe's - a wealthy local person who is articulate, affable, easy to work with, good with the media, sets and demands high standards, and good at running the club and appointing managers, and who will invest money in the club and not loan it.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 28
Bigdog
February 2, 2018, 8:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162

None of the clubs I mentioned have had a trouble free ride from foreign investment. In between Risdale and the current owners there was chaos at Leeds. Bates had at least stabilised the finances but the fans were spoilt by the transfer budget they were used to and he got stick from the terraces for lack of results. Then all hell broke loose with the Middle East based lot and then Cellini etc. I think you would struggle to find many Leeds fans who are happy with the current set up either.

That said, the main reason I am against foreign owners is that it becomes a small step to having a foreign manager and an even smaller one to getting foreign players. At our level they will not be very good ones either.  It is hard enough for young UK players to make it as it is without clogging the team with a load of Menno Willems.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I think narrowing down search criteria for inward investment would mean that we'll be having the same conversations in twenty years, and in all that time, the fans in the footballing hotbed of Bournemouth will be having the times of their lives..

Call me selfish, but I want to have a bit of fun again being a Town fan and I don't mind if it's the English pound, American dollar or the Dubai dirham that facilitates it, as long as the club is being run properly, progressing and everyone is being entertained..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 28
February 2, 2018, 8:32pm
Guest User
So here’s the thing.  We were all born in a sea port, very high likelihood of being a descendant of ‘foreigners’.  Irish in my case.  So why would we be averse to foreign investment?  Foreigners have been investing in Grimsby for years.  Now this may or may not be true, but I was very recently told that even the site owner started life as Grim Scrob.
Reply: 19 - 28
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Would you accept Foreign Investment?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.