Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Would you accept Foreign Investment?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 139 Guests

Would you accept a foreign investor/buyer
Yes
No
Depends what they give for Transfer Budget
  View Results 115 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Would you accept Foreign Investment?

This thread currently has 4,138 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Grimsby2012
February 2, 2018, 4:28pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,466
Gold Stars: 22
I've been currently contemplating the idea of "What if Grimsby had foreign ownership"?

I must say, I wasn't 100% sure a few months ago, but the recent turn of events and the board's unwillingness to do what's right has swayed me towards a yes.

Of course. I would prefer a local investor, possibly a fan, but this is unlikely ( for now at least )

So. With some of the higher leagues, we keep seeing foreign investors coming in ( Suadi Arabia and China mainly ) and throwing money at the cause. Would you welcome this if it meant the club would be able to go forward instead of backward?

Or would you prefer to wait for a British investor who may not be as willing to part with chunks of cash?

Or, are you happy with the current ones?

I only ask because I've gathered a list of contact details for 20-25 foreign businessman/woman who have invested/purchased UK and European football clubs. It's a long shot but i will send an email to all of them with the proposal to purchase the club and offer the current board and Fenty's contact details.

Again, Long shot, but you never know. Maybe it will seem interesting to take a small club to the Premiership which would cost a lot less than to buy an actual prem league club.

What are your thoughts?

**UPDATE**
If the voting for yes continues at it's pace. I will send the email too all "Potential" Investors.

I even have an email for a Suadi Prince...

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mariner93er
February 2, 2018, 4:35pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,674
Gold Stars: 28
With the current outlook, things couldn't get any worse under forsign ownership
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 28
ginnywings
February 2, 2018, 4:45pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
We'd get Munto.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 28
Abdul19
February 2, 2018, 5:12pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
I'd rather an owner be good, than be from a certain place.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 28
Davec
February 2, 2018, 5:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
It's worth a shot, go for it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 28
H19P1
February 2, 2018, 5:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
Yes from me, it's time for new beginnings
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 28
wigworld
February 2, 2018, 5:31pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,073
Gold Stars: 29
Yes, subject to the usual due diligence taking place.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 28
promotion plaice
February 2, 2018, 5:37pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188

Why not give Kim Jong-Un a call...........he'd give Slade a rocket.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 28
KingstonMariner
February 2, 2018, 5:46pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from wigworld
Yes, subject to the usual due diligence taking place.

But it very rarely does. And it's even more difficult to undertake when they're not UK resident. It's bad enough with some of the shysters from this country to find out where the money's come from, who they are, what their history is.

The correct answer from me is 'it depends'. Not on the transfer budget but on being able to establish that the investor is a fit and proper person, which is really hard to do. And that wasn't an option on the survey.

Most foreign investors in British football teams seem to come from countries who are shaded darker on those maps of the world which you see from organisations like Transparency International, and that corporate business conduct departments get more nervous about. You very rarely get investors from prosperous but low risk countries like Sweden say, because British football clubs do not give them a realistic prospect of a legitimate return.

So it's a nyet, لا, ไม่, 没有 from me.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 28
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 2, 2018, 6:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
A definite no-no to a foreign owner or even a foreign manager for that matter. Superficially attractive but too much danger of ending up as a financial pawn like Leeds, Birmingham, Reading etc.

I don't mind Fenty being the owner, at least he's local. I just don't like him running the club. My stance on this has always been that if he cannot or will not sell the club he should recognise that he might have been a good fish merchant but he has proved time and again he is lousy at running a football club. Common sense should tell him he is paying through the nose for his own mistakes.

He should  step back from the day to day and employ or partner with a proper football person as chairman/chief executive. Just because you own a club does not mean you have to iron the kit and be the tea lady.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 28
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Would you accept Foreign Investment?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.