STRIKERS

This thread currently has 4,972 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
grimreaper
February 2, 2018, 2:07pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +297
I have lost count of how many forward players we have, but the question is How many of them are out and out Strikers, and have the qualities of a striker, or are the more attacking midfielders.
The new lads that have come in, are they any better than what you have. My answer would be no. Management refer to the stats of the player they have brought in. I could not see the lad from Villa playing as a striker in there team when they have a young lad called Kennan Davies, who is what I call a proper striker. RS seems to be going with small pacey forwards not goal poachers.

This leads me back to Asante. He has all the attributes. When he was at Birmingham City he came through the ranks, he had all the agents after him when he put 5 goals past Tottenham Hotspurs youth team. He was top scorer in every age group. Blues signed him up on professional forms. There were a lot of teams after his signature. Then the injuries started. When he was fit he went to Solihull was top scorer in both seasons, even though he only had half a season.
Before the last two forwards were signed, Asante went to see RS to see were his future lies, RS did hint that he still had a chance to play. What a load of rubbish. Couple of weeks ago he had his full training session with the squad and performed outstandingly, every one commented on his commitment and his ability, so what does RS then do put him back to train with the youth.

I will also mention this whilst I'm at it. Asante has been putting in extra training and asked Akhem Rose to join him. Asante fetches him into training most days. Wilkinson approaches Rose and makes a comment that since he has been training with Asante his fitness levels have gone down. Well Wilkinson perhaps if you involved both of these players in full training sesions then they would not have to train on there own. They are both being treated like shite.  

With regards to Sam Jones he has wanted out for some time, due to his treatment, same as Chris Clements and now it looks as if Asante is going the same way.

That is my rant over, I could go on further, but that will wait for the right moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Bigdog
February 2, 2018, 2:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I'd have liked to have seen what Asante could have done with a good run of games in a Town shirt..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
ginnywings
February 2, 2018, 2:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,112
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Bigdog
I'd have liked to have seen what Asante could have done with a good run of games in a Town shirt..

Me too Bigdog.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 25
sam gy
February 2, 2018, 2:56pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
The lad from Villa is a defender.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
moosey_club
February 2, 2018, 2:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from grimreaper
I have lost count of how many forward players we have, but the question is How many of them are out and out Strikers, and have the qualities of a striker, or are the more attacking midfielders.
The new lads that have come in, are they any better than what you have. My answer would be no. Management refer to the stats of the player they have brought in. I could not see the lad from Villa playing as a striker in there team when they have a young lad called Kennan Davies, who is what I call a proper striker. RS seems to be going with small pacey forwards not goal poachers.

This leads me back to Asante. He has all the attributes. When he was at Birmingham City he came through the ranks, he had all the agents after him when he put 5 goals past Tottenham Hotspurs youth team. He was top scorer in every age group. Blues signed him up on professional forms. There were a lot of teams after his signature. Then the injuries started. When he was fit he went to Solihull was top scorer in both seasons, even though he only had half a season.
Before the last two forwards were signed, Asante went to see RS to see were his future lies, RS did hint that he still had a chance to play. What a load of rubbish. Couple of weeks ago he had his full training session with the squad and performed outstandingly, every one commented on his commitment and his ability, so what does RS then do put him back to train with the youth.

I will also mention this whilst I'm at it. Asante has been putting in extra training and asked Akhem Rose to join him. Asante fetches him into training most days. Wilkinson approaches Rose and makes a comment that since he has been training with Asante his fitness levels have gone down. Well Wilkinson perhaps if you involved both of these players in full training sesions then they would not have to train on there own. They are both being treated like shite.  

With regards to Sam Jones he has wanted out for some time, due to his treatment, same as Chris Clements and now it looks as if Asante is going the same way.

That is my rant over, I could go on further, but that will wait for the right moment.

The lad from Villa is a centre half for a start so undermines your argument....i would say Vernam on my limited viewing to date offers far more than Vernon, Cardwell, Hooper ...havnt seen Wilkes in the flesh so will wait and Jackson again we all wait to see if he has something to offer or is a great signing 5 yrs ago... bit like Lee Peacock and Cheesey Chips Proudlock were.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
Hagrid
February 2, 2018, 3:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,387
Gold Stars: 532
Another reason to detest slade and wilkinson.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 25
Croxton
February 2, 2018, 3:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Slade over values experienced league players above non league and youth. He made an exception with Verman because he knew his potential from time at Coventry I believe. Dembele surprised him and he made him a regular without being able to coach and improve his end product.

His poor management of Asante, Osborne and Jones against his persistence with Vernon Woolford and Berrett shows his preference for steady chaps who don't rock the boat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
pen penfras
February 2, 2018, 3:43pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71
I understand that you are close to Asante,  but I can't for one minute believe the RS put him to train with the youths and alone for no reason. I'm sure Asante has a different view to what's gone on. My guess is somehow he's been disruptive and RS wants him away from the squad. The odd thing is that I haven't seen anything about this, normally a player who has been disruptive would be publicly announced that they've been disciplined, but I guess it's not a given.

It doesn't make any sense that a player would be putting extra effort and going the extra mile to force their way into the team and the manager reacts this way. That type of player is a manager's dream.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
Rodley Mariner
February 2, 2018, 3:50pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
My guess is he's tried to push Clements and Asante out to move them on and free up some wages but Asante has dug his heels in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
MuddyWaters
February 2, 2018, 4:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Asante spent God knows how long back at Solihull on loan and achieved what?
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › STRIKERS

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.