Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 226 Guests

Peaceful Demonstration for Saturday

This thread currently has 10,361 views. Print
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
February 1, 2018, 10:07pm
Guest User
Just took this from twitter:

“Great turnout at the wellington arms tonight the birth place of GTFC. Alot are concerned how our great club is run. Many people had valid points of view and it has been decided a protest   shall commence from mcdonalds car park at 2.30pm. If you are unhappy with the current leadership at the club or stopped attending we need your support. We also need to go in the ground and support the players but in the 14th minute everyone stand and sing "stand up if you've had enough" etc etc. “

psgmariner
February 1, 2018, 10:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Why the 14th minute?

Private Message
Reply: 1 - 72
lukeo
February 1, 2018, 10:32pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,371
Gold Stars: 145
1 minute for every striker we have signed on?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 72
February 1, 2018, 10:34pm
Guest User
Quoted from psgmariner
Why the 14th minute?

14 years of Mr Fentys ownership.
Reply: 3 - 72
ginnywings
February 1, 2018, 10:34pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
A minute for every home goal? Have we reached 14 at home yet?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 72
KingstonMariner
February 1, 2018, 11:13pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Apt it was at the Wellington. Glad it's still open. Can't be many pubs that old still left running in the town.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 72
OneLove
February 2, 2018, 5:28am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +731
Gold Stars: 10
It was a good turnout for something that was kept on the low, some very good people turned up some of whom been involved in the club and brilliants words spoken. This Saturday a meet in mcdonald's car park from 2pm onwards and march round to the Findus car park and go from there. The plan is to grow it and not just have this as a one off, its week in week out home and away, it might not be some peoples cuppa tea on here but for the sake of the club we need to stand together and get it back!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 72
Cloudy
February 2, 2018, 7:01am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Understand the protest but what is the aim? Fenty out? Agree totally, but how, who will run the club?

I don't mean 'the fans' but which ones?

Protesting is fine but you need a plan if you are to effect change
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 72
February 2, 2018, 7:26am
Guest User
Quoted from Cloudy
Understand the protest but what is the aim? Fenty out? Agree totally, but how, who will run the club?

I don't mean 'the fans' but which ones?

Protesting is fine but you need a plan if you are to effect change

I personally don’t believe they are telling the full story. They had an offer from the Americans but they chose to reject it on ‘the fans behalf’ as they wanted to give us a voice.
Reply: 8 - 72
Cloudy
February 2, 2018, 7:32am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from 1739

I personally don’t believe they are telling the full story. They had an offer from the Americans but they chose to reject it on ‘the fans behalf’ as they wanted to give us a voice.

So you want a group of unknown Americans ( who may or may not actually exist) to run our club?

Why are they interested, what return on their 'investment' are they looking for?
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 72
jonnyboy82
February 2, 2018, 7:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
I think the main objective should be a protest but it should be firstly aimed at slade and letting the board know we want him out now.

Then look at the bigger picture .

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 72
Cloudy
February 2, 2018, 7:38am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from jonnyboy82
I think the main objective should be a protest but it should be firstly aimed at slade and letting the board know we want him out now.

Then look at the bigger picture .

Maybe this  demonstrates the problem. People wont know what they are protesting about?
Slade? Fenty? Pies?
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 72
Jarmo.Is.God
February 2, 2018, 7:38am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
How about protest before and after the match, but not during the 90 mins.

How about on the 14th minute everyone stands and sings 'Grimsby till I die'

Protesting during the match is going to achieve nothing, and will only distract the players if anything...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 72
pen penfras
February 2, 2018, 7:50am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
What is the aim of the protest? Fenty out and sack the board? They already said they want that and they also suggested that the money invested in the club wouldn't be a barrier to somebody else taking control.

I understand there's a huge amount of discontent with the way things are right now, but this negativity isn't going to help anything. The board aren't going to just quit without an alternative in place, and there is no alternative right now. I think time would be better spent trying to find this alternative rather than protesting about something that all parties seem to be aligned on.

Maybe try talking to local business men and your bosses to try and build a consortium of wealthy individuals willing to take over back the club financially if needed. There certainly doesn't seem to be a white knight willing to come and take over single handedly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 72
Meza
February 2, 2018, 7:54am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
If they really want out then surely the most logical thing to do is announce it via media that the club is up for sale......this will then make it clear to your every day businessman etc.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 72
February 2, 2018, 8:06am
Guest User
Quoted from Cloudy

So you want a group of unknown Americans ( who may or may not actually exist) to run our club?

Why are they interested, what return on their 'investment' are they looking for?

So basically unless you’re  a local business man or someone with connections to the town then you would be against a takeover. If you are then be prepared for non league football.

Why do other owners in the football league invest in clubs? We don’t have a voice now so how would it make a difference if some Americans took over or another business ? Are we stuck with John Fenty till Peaks Parkway which could potentially lead us into more debt and a higher likely hold off him not leaving.  
Reply: 15 - 72
Bigdog
February 2, 2018, 8:42am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from pen penfras
What is the aim of the protest? Fenty out and sack the board? They already said they want that and they also suggested that the money invested in the club wouldn't be a barrier to somebody else taking control.

I understand there's a huge amount of discontent with the way things are right now, but this negativity isn't going to help anything. The board aren't going to just quit without an alternative in place, and there is no alternative right now. I think time would be better spent trying to find this alternative rather than protesting about something that all parties seem to be aligned on.

Maybe try talking to local business men and your bosses to try and build a consortium of wealthy individuals willing to take over back the club financially if needed. There certainly doesn't seem to be a white knight willing to come and take over single handedly.

"The money invested wouldn't be a barrier" needs more transparency and a clear definition of exactly what the statement means..

Written off? The book price shouldn't put off a serious investor? Instalments? Compromise amount?

It's very vague and at the minute the fact that the club is up for sale has been given the marketing impact of a whimper beyond NE Lincs..

A crude example of a possible scenario..

Let's say JF would like the £2m back in instalments of £100k a year, that's the loss of a star striker for 20 seasons. Not only have the fans being punished with non league for six years and the club have lost out in £3m in income in that time, the same fans could be punished for another 20 years due to JF's past decisions in the boardroom.

Now I wouldn't like that hanging over the club's head for another 20 years and I'm sure JF wouldn't want that frustration too if he returned to the terraces as a fan. I'm pretty sure he won't hold the club or potential investor to ransom at this stage either. So, for the sake of transparency and goodwill, would it be better to suggest a ballpark asking price and structure? Maybe then JF could get a few brownie points if it shows he's being benevolent for the sake of the club's future..

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 72
Bigdog
February 2, 2018, 8:47am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from pen penfras

Totally agree with this..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 72
Croxton
February 2, 2018, 9:13am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
No way of controlling this if there is a large turnout. Policing has been virtually non existent this season and McDonalds will now be requesting a presence. Very easy for the board to spin this their way.
Would suggest a symbolic march from outside the Imp to Pontoon turnstiles handing out details of other meetings and forms of protest. Peaceful, targeted actions more likely to gather momentum and positive press and community support.
With all these new ,younger and local lads getting nearer the team we should leave all other protests till after the game. Cheltenham will have seen the Yeovil debacle and have a plan to turn the ref against our players. At 3.00 pm. THEY are the enemy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 72
TheRealJohnLewis
February 2, 2018, 9:14am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from pen penfras

Why does it have to one or the other can't they protest and finding an alternative.  The time is not really wasted as instead of protesting they would be in a pub getting ready for a match or inside the ground getting ready for kick off.

Private Message
Reply: 19 - 72
Balthazar Bullitt
February 2, 2018, 9:38am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from 1739

So basically unless you’re  a local business man or someone with connections to the town then you would be against a takeover. If you are then be prepared for non league football.

Why do other owners in the football league invest in clubs? We don’t have a voice now so how would it make a difference if some Americans took over or another business ? Are we stuck with John Fenty till Peaks Parkway which could potentially lead us into more debt and a higher likely hold off him not leaving.  

Having to choose between the current regime and a bunch of venture capitalists would be akin to to choosing whether I want my my left or right testicle crushed in a vice.
Agree it doesn't need to be someone local though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 72
ginnywings
February 2, 2018, 10:09am

Recovering Alcoholic
Good luck with a demo in the Findus car park. I get there about 2.40 and have to negotiate my way through all the expensive parked cars. Careful you don't scratch any of them. In the good old days when there was a protest, there weren't so many big expensive cars about and the car park was the venue of choice. Difference then though was there was usually someone else to step into the breach. Bill Carr was forced out in a disgraceful manner in my opinion, but hey ho!

As for the demo itself, i can't see what it will achieve. I'm not against demo's, I've been on a few myself away from football, but you need a clear objective. The board know we are not happy and have had two meetings on the matter. They have backed the management and only continued poor results will change that. They have said they are willing to step aside if someone can come up with a credible plan.

I can see this scenario, with fans chanting:-

"We want Fenty out, say we want Fenty out" John appears and says "ok then, I'll go now, who's taking over?"

I'm all for regime change and it's clear that JF is too, so we need to find out if there is the will out there to effect it in some way. As a fan i am willing to chuck some money into the pot. I also have some spare time i am willing to spend helping out in any way i can, but unless they need some doors hanging, or some other kind of joinery work, i don't have the requisite financial or business skills needed. Until and unless someone or some group comes along with a plan of action, just getting rid of everybody and worrying about the consequences later is not a plan i would back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 72
headingly_mariner
February 2, 2018, 11:06am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,341
Gold Stars: 113
The board haven't had any vocal pressure inside the ground, they've had it a little light. While the disatisfaction is aimed at them it will hopefully be deflected from the players. The players are the ones who can keep us up now and the problems at the club aren't their fault.

Drop the debt and go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 72
GTFC_85
February 2, 2018, 12:56pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +252
Gold Stars: 3
Who will take over? All well and good ousting the board but there's no-one?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 72
Garth
February 2, 2018, 4:18pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from headingly_mariner
The board haven't had any vocal pressure inside the ground, they've had it a little light. While the disatisfaction is aimed at them it will hopefully be deflected from the players. The players are the ones who can keep us up now and the problems at the club aren't their fault.

Drop the debt and go.

Too simple I`m afraid, or no chance is more likely,. any other wise ideas?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 72
Cod Cheeks
February 2, 2018, 4:29pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +374
What do we want? Slade out!
When do we want it? Now!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 72
The Grim Reaper
February 2, 2018, 4:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -30
Approval: -533
Gold Stars: 1
Protest after the game FFS. We need to get right behind the players right now

Jesus wants me to be a sunbeam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 72
OneLove
February 2, 2018, 9:18pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +731
Gold Stars: 10
People are to scared of change, if Fenty goes then what?  I believe the club will pull together more, theres enough wise heads who follow town who speak highly and have pretty good business and footballing knowledge and maybe just maybe there is someone pondering for this move to happen. We must move forward for the future of GTFC.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 72
ginnywings
February 2, 2018, 9:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Wimbledon started again from scratch in 2002. They have made up 9 divisions on us since and are getting a new ground built. Just read that on Codalmighty and thought what a great time they must have had doing it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 72
MuddyWaters
February 2, 2018, 9:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from ginnywings
Wimbledon started again from scratch in 2002. They have made up 9 divisions on us since and are getting a new ground built. Just read that on Codalmighty and thought what a great time they must have had doing it.

You going to protest then Ginny?

Learning tonight that Jon Wood didn't get chance to state his case before the decision was made at the board meeting has certainly sharpened my thought process.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 72
ginnywings
February 2, 2018, 9:53pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You going to protest then Ginny?

Learning tonight that Jon Wood didn't get chance to state his case before the decision was made at the board meeting has certainly sharpened my thought process.

I'm by heart a moderate, but this week has really gone to new levels for me. When i see Slades smug face. When i see that massively imbalanced squad of players who have no vested interest in us long term. When i see loanees coming in and pushing contracted player out. When i see the clubs best player sold to the Shrews despite our predicament and think back to Amond being allowed to leave for Hartlepool. Osbourne being let go, Clements too and Asante training with the youth team, not to mention all the other myriad fook ups that just keep coming and coming. Stevenage, the treatment of Kristine, the fiasco of the fans forum and the treatment of Matt Dean.  The Chuckaway Trophy. Then i think that all of this is just the recent stuff and i think those four fookers ( excluding Jon Wood, literally) are responsible for all that, i think it's time to stop being a moderate and it's time we have to do something. I will be around at that time anyway, so i think i will be joining in.

Starting again from scratch like Wimbledon would be far more enjoyable than what we have now. We the fans are the club. It doesn't exist without us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 72
heppy88
February 2, 2018, 10:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
I thought the protests would have had more support here on the Fishy.

It’s pretty clear what the aim of the protests is: Regime change.

It’s not the role of the protestors to have an alternative ready to put into place. It’s the job of the protestors to keep sustained pressure on the culprits to instigate the necessary change and allow the circumstances to arise for change to take place.

It’s one thing writing on here what everyone believes needs to be done. But the time is right to get off our arses and physically and verbally demonstrate our anger towards the current regime.

All Town fans seem united in their dislike of the current situation. The momentum has been growing for long enough on social media. Now it’s time for the next stage. Protests!! UTMM!!

PS and if that includes in the ground so be it. Whatever it takes for the voices of the fans to be heard. Its time some folk grew some balls and stopped being so bloody apathetic. Its time to fight for what we beleive in, for what we love!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 72
KingstonMariner
February 2, 2018, 10:10pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from heppy88

It’s not the role of the protestors to have an alternative ready to put into place. It’s the job of the protestors to keep sustained pressure on the culprits to instigate the necessary change and allow the circumstances to arise for change to take place.

It’s one thing writing on here what everyone believes needs to be done. But the time is right to get off our arses and physically and verbally demonstrate our anger towards the current regime.

All Town fans seem united in their dislike of the current situation. The momentum has been growing for long enough on social media. Now it’s time for the next stage. Protests!! UTMM!!

PS and if that includes in the ground so be it. Whatever it takes for the voices of the fans to be heard. Its time some folk grew some balls and stopped being so bloody apathetic. Its time to fight for what we beleive in, for what we love!!!

I hope to God we've got more of a clue as to what to do next than the Yanks did in Iraq.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 72
KingstonMariner
February 2, 2018, 10:13pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from heppy88

I hope to God we've got more of a clue as to what to do next than the Yanks did in Iraq.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 72
MuddyWaters
February 2, 2018, 10:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

The planning can start when we get our club back.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 72
Marinerz93
February 2, 2018, 11:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
From the clubs statement of potential investors how much is it going to cost? you want to attract businessmen put up a figure people can look at, it's too vague for any businessman to sniff at, and that is intentional, the board want to keep it as it is, more than likely want more than the club is worth and that's down to the benign debt, would you buy an expensive car knowing the previous owner had a car loan logbook on it.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 72
arryarryarry
February 2, 2018, 11:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Balthazar Bullitt

Having to choose between the current regime and a bunch of venture capitalists would be akin to to choosing whether I want my my left or right testicle crushed in a vice.
Agree it doesn't need to be someone local though.

What? to crush your testicle.

Whatever takes your fancy.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 72
Marinerz93
February 2, 2018, 11:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
The demo will be seen from the Ivory tower as Fenty is holding his arms out wide in the boardroom, saying why don't the fans love me, if it wasn't for yours truly, Marley interrupts Fentys speech with 'Shut up' sorry John there is no bog roll in the toilet as some twit has rolled it into one of the shitters and it wasn't me, you better believe me or you are calling me a liar, you calling me a liar John. Day walks in and John says where have you been, Day says I've been for a drink with Matt Dean, remember I said I'd catch you later after I've had a pint or two with Matt. John says I don't remember that and ruffles his turtle neck sweater as he looks at the great unwashed voicing their discontent.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 72
chaos33
February 2, 2018, 11:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,926
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from ginnywings

I'm by heart a moderate, but this week has really gone to new levels for me. When i see Slades smug face. When i see that massively imbalanced squad of players who have no vested interest in us long term. When i see loanees coming in and pushing contracted player out. When i see the clubs best player sold to the Shrews despite our predicament and think back to Amond being allowed to leave for Hartlepool. Osbourne being let go, Clements too and Asante training with the youth team, not to mention all the other myriad fook ups that just keep coming and coming. Stevenage, the treatment of Kristine, the fiasco of the fans forum and the treatment of Matt Dean.  The Chuckaway Trophy. Then i think that all of this is just the recent stuff and i think those four fookers ( excluding Jon Wood, literally) are responsible for all that, i think it's time to stop being a moderate and it's time we have to do something. I will be around at that time anyway, so i think i will be joining in.

Starting again from scratch like Wimbledon would be far more enjoyable than what we have now. We the fans are the club. It doesn't exist without us.

Great post mate.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 72
LH
February 2, 2018, 11:25pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,492
Gold Stars: 173
I am fully with those protesting tomorrow in terms of why they are doing it and it is pleasing to know people care enough about Town that they’re willing to alter their normal match day plans for it. That said I don’t see what a march from McDonald’s to BP - which is all of 150 yards - at 1430 on a matchday is going to do. This sort of protest needs to inconvenience people to have any real impact. A longer march - maybe from the Town hall or even Abbey Park area would be better for that or a sit in protest in the car park after the game as it would stop people leaving?  I do think though that a vocal protest within the ground (preferably the upper) should happen - maybe not tomorrow but in the near future.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 72
KingstonMariner
February 2, 2018, 11:28pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The planning can start when we get our club back.

That worked well in Iraq didn't it. By the way, we're the Iraqi people in this.

The American venture capitalists are Al Qaeda, the Kazakh oligarch is ISIS. I haven't worked out who's Donald Rumsfeld and Tony Blair yet.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 72
barrattstandman
February 2, 2018, 11:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +477
Gold Stars: 17
I see another fan owned club is in big trouble , Chester need 50k. Can we raise that if we get in that trouble. Careful what you wish for
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 72
KingstonMariner
February 2, 2018, 11:33pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from barrattstandman
I see another fan owned club is in big trouble , Chester need 50k. Can we raise that if we get in that trouble. Careful what you wish for

Have you forgotten the Summer of 2015 already? Twice that and we weren't even in trouble.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 72
Grim74
February 3, 2018, 8:01am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
What a waste of time some fans won't be happy until we are in the conference north with a three stand blundell park.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 72
barrattstandman
February 3, 2018, 8:13am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +477
Gold Stars: 17
It makes me feel like not going . It will create a toxic atmosphere and that is the last thing the players need. Protests never change anything normally, just end up getting disruptive and nasty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 72
dapperz fun pub
February 3, 2018, 9:12am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,905
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Grim74
What a waste of time some fans won't be happy until we are in the conference north with a three stand blundell park.

That’s not that far away in reality
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 72
KingstonMariner
February 3, 2018, 9:14am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

That’s not that far away in reality

What I was thinking. We're heading that way already.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 72
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 3, 2018, 9:24am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,677
Gold Stars: 73
Think I will leave my 11 year old at home today as a defeat is likely to stir up the hornets nest to quite a level and angry grown men can be very scary to a youngster.

By the time I arrive it will be near kick off time anyway and if it goes pear shaped all you can ask is the fans their anger in as civilised manner as possible. That said the way RS and Wilko are said to be treating Asante a few well chosen barbs in their direction is well justified.

Wonder what we will be reading on the Fishy tonight?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 72
Fishy_fishtails
February 3, 2018, 9:28am

Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: -345
Quoted from barrattstandman
It makes me feel like not going . It will create a toxic atmosphere and that is the last thing the players need. Protests never change anything normally, just end up getting disruptive and nasty.

I feel the same way. But I will still be there today. I can see this getting out of hand and not at all peaceful.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 72
Vance Warner
February 3, 2018, 9:35am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,786
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from ginnywings

For me the point at which Wimbledon overtook us was the point at which Fenty lost the ability to play the "Iook where you'd be without me" card. That was 2011.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 72
Cloudy
February 3, 2018, 9:42am
Whiskey Drinker
Just read in the GY telegraph the quotes from some of the people involved in the leading of the march
Baz Whittleton a hugely passionate Town fan who travels everywhere watching the Mariners, Kenny Meech the lad taken to court over the shark attack at Barnet ( don't know if he is a regular but I haven't seen him at many games)
and Andy Carr the guy who stopped going once he was no longer paid to attend

There is huge passion for change but there seems no plan in getting something together to take the place of the current regime. OneLove says that's not the protestors job BUT IMO it has to be someone's job!
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 72
totalidiot
February 3, 2018, 10:48am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +341
Quoted from Cloudy
Just read in the GY telegraph the quotes from some of the people involved in the leading of the march
Baz Whittleton a hugely passionate Town fan who travels everywhere watching the Mariners, Kenny Meech the lad taken to court over the shark attack at Barnet ( don't know if he is a regular but I haven't seen him at many games)

There is huge passion for change but there seems no plan in getting something together to take the place of the current regime. OneLove says that's not the protestors job BUT IMO it has to be someone's job!

Kenny meech is at every home game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 72
dapperz fun pub
February 3, 2018, 11:50am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,905
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Cloudy

Ken meech is a regular
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 72
MarinersOnTheUp
February 3, 2018, 12:11pm
Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +22 / -2
Approval: +484
Songs for today...
🎶 We want our club back, we want our club back 🎶
🎶 He's killing our club, John Fenty, he's killing our club 🎶
🎶 Fenty Out 🎶

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 72
Marinerz93
February 3, 2018, 12:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Just buy all the empty seats around where Fenty sits and keep asking him, would a real fan let the club rot like this.

Private Message
Reply: 54 - 72
Ipswin
February 3, 2018, 12:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from MarinersOnTheUp
Songs for today...
🎶 We want our club back, we want our club back 🎶
🎶 He's killing our club, John Fenty, he's killing our club 🎶
🎶 Fenty Out 🎶

I'd rather the main thrust of any demonstration was aimed at Slade. It's going to take longer to get Fenty out but Slade could be sacked (or resign if he has any decency at all) tomorrow

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 72
MuddyWaters
February 3, 2018, 12:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

I'd rather the main thrust of any demonstration was aimed at Slade. It's going to take longer to get Fenty out but Slade could be sacked (or resign if he has any decency at all) tomorrow

I'd rather there wasn't a demonstration on reflection. The board & the manager are fully aware of the situation and any real fan should realise that we need to back the players, first & foremost. If we lose again, by all means protest after the final whistle.

In terms of what next, I think the club needs a Chairman as a focus to take the heat away from the major shareholder. Is there anyone on the board who could take the Chair? Probably not as they are all too closely associated with JF.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 72
grimsby pete
February 3, 2018, 12:37pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
I am no friend of Fenty as most of you know,

BUT

I would not want him driven out of the club and leave us rudderless,

I hope he stays and reports back to us on a regular basis on how he and the board are trying to get more investment in,

Plus treat the fans as a valuable assert until he leaves the club and stop treating us with contempt,

Finally be honest on how long Slades contract is so we know how much it will cost to sack him.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 72
KingstonMariner
February 3, 2018, 12:41pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Vance Warner

For me the point at which Wimbledon overtook us was the point at which Fenty lost the ability to play the "Iook where you'd be without me" card. That was 2011.

Which was the same year they left us behind in the Conference. No coincidence.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 72
Ipswin
February 3, 2018, 12:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from grimsby pete
I am no friend of Fenty as most of you know,

BUT

I would not want him driven out of the club and leave us rudderless,

I hope he stays and reports back to us on a regular basis on how he and the board are trying to get more investment in,

Plus treat the fans as a valuable assert until he leaves the club and stop treating us with contempt,

Finally be honest on how long Slades contract is so we know how much it will cost to sack him.

With you on that one Pete - keep your enemies close and all that.

Like it or not we need Fenty at the helm (more likely telling some other fornicator where to steer but you know what I mean)

I can't stand the bloke, I wouldn't urine on him if he was on fire but Grimsby town FC comes first and in the short term he's going nowhere in a hurry and like it or not we need the bloke

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 72
rancido
February 3, 2018, 1:23pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,559
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Bigdog

"The money invested wouldn't be a barrier" needs more transparency and a clear definition of exactly what the statement means..

Written off? The book price shouldn't put off a serious investor? Instalments? Compromise amount?

It's very vague and at the minute the fact that the club is up for sale has been given the marketing impact of a whimper beyond NE Lincs..

A crude example of a possible scenario..

Let's say JF would like the £2m back in instalments of £100k a year, that's the loss of a star striker for 20 seasons. Not only have the fans being punished with non league for six years and the club have lost out in £3m in income in that time, the same fans could be punished for another 20 years due to JF's past decisions in the boardroom.

Now I wouldn't like that hanging over the club's head for another 20 years and I'm sure JF wouldn't want that frustration too if he returned to the terraces as a fan. I'm pretty sure he won't hold the club or potential investor to ransom at this stage either. So, for the sake of transparency and goodwill, would it be better to suggest a ballpark asking price and structure? Maybe then JF could get a few brownie points if it shows he's being benevolent for the sake of the club's future..

Now I don't know the ins and outs of the " benign " loan or whether it was one lump sum or several smaller loans. Surely though this money was to keep the club going and without it there was the possibility of the club folding or have I missed something ?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 72
Quagmire
February 3, 2018, 1:40pm

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from rancido

Now I don't know the ins and outs of the " benign " loan or whether it was one lump sum or several smaller loans. Surely though this money was to keep the club going and without it there was the possibility of the club folding or have I missed something ?

The money that has been loaned to the club by Fenty has been used to plug the gap which has been caused by his complete mismanagement of the club.

It has been caused by a succession of poor managerial appointments that needed paying off as well as a number of player contracts being paid off, alongside a significant drop in income for the club when dropping from League One to League Two, and then into the Conference, followed by six years in the abyss.

It's akin to me taking over a business, making deadful decisions which cost the company millions of pounds, loaning the company the money to cover this, and then expecting the next person who takes the company on to foot the bill that has been caused by my mismanagement.

There's no way in a million years that if Fenty was sat on the outside and wanting to take the club on he would be willing to pay those loans off when he took the club on - which is why nobody else seems to be forthcoming in wanting to take it on, they shouldn't have to, in effect, pay off the mismanagement of another individual.

If I had the money would I be happy to do that?  Absolutely not.  I was not involved in any of the decisions that have cost the club this money so why should I be expected to foot the bill?

Ultimately, it's the main driver behind pushing so hard for PP.  He knows that nobody will be willing to pay those loans off so is hanging everything on PP being granted.  Additional revenue generated by a new stadium will be used to pay those loans off, and ultimately this additional revenue will go towards debt rather than helping the team out / playing budget.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 72
HertsGTFC
February 3, 2018, 1:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,907
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
How about protest before and after the match, but not during the 90 mins.

How about on the 14th minute everyone stands and sings 'Grimsby till I die'

Protesting during the match is going to achieve nothing, and will only distract the players if anything...

This🔝

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 72
HertsGTFC
February 3, 2018, 1:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
In the board statement it said “the existing directors loans and shareholding would not be a barrier to any interested parities subject to the usual due diligence taking place”.

So where they saying they don’t want their money back or at least just yet?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 72
grimsby pete
February 3, 2018, 1:53pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Silly question,

BUT

What happens if we score our 3rd goal on the 14th minute ?

Like I said silly question  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 72
Quagmire
February 3, 2018, 1:56pm

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from HertsGTFC
In the board statement it said “the existing directors loans and shareholding would not be a barrier to any interested parities subject to the usual due diligence taking place”.

I think that it what other people are asking - it’s quite ambiguous, they really need to clarify what that means.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 72
promotion plaice
February 3, 2018, 2:40pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,026
Gold Stars: 194

Just seen the protest and possibly as many as a couple of hundred very vocal fans chanting in unison  😂

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 72
Stadium
February 3, 2018, 2:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,927
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from promotion plaice

Just seen the protest and possibly as many as a couple of hundred very vocal fans chanting in unison  😂

Embarrassing.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 72
Grim74
February 3, 2018, 2:58pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
The majority have spoken 😂

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 72
somersetmariner
February 3, 2018, 3:21pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +253
Gold Stars: 4
Listening to John Tondeur on the Radio - "and the fans are protesting on the 14th minute, supposedly against the 14 years of Fenty's stewardship and they've lifted a banner, but sadly the banner is upside down and it rather loses the effect......"

you can take the boy out of grimsby......but you can't take grimsby out of his soul, his blood, his semen!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 72
moosey_club
February 3, 2018, 6:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,238
Gold Stars: 226
Must say i was a little fearful of what the atmosphere would be like today with the protest and general feelings around the support but i think the fans did a good job today....the early goal may well have helped but there was vocal support for the team and a deal of patience shown throughout given the performance and entertainment on offer.

Certainly not as toxic as i expected .

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 72
ginnywings
February 3, 2018, 6:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
If they had scored first though........
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 72
HertsGTFC
February 3, 2018, 6:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 72
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Peaceful Demonstration for Saturday

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.