12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
February 1, 2018, 10:42pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

I know and it is not having a dig, and I admire them for having the gumption to try something new. However, John Fenty does not listen to people who have as much clout as himself, so there is no way on this earth he will be influenced by a well meaning trust.

I would advocate a different approach. Leave him to it, and get support from elsewhere and when we get a new start be part of it from the off, with people who have a different approach to Fenty.

On the outside, they would have far more leverage by having freedoms to speak out saying exactly what they feel. Being represented on a board sounds great, but not in this particular case.

The other way of looking at it is the Trust is the only party that will 'speak truth to power'. If a new party plans to takeover, not being on the board means not having a voice in the discussions. Always best to keep a foot in the door even if it doesn't look like it's achieving much currently.

One day through circumstances we cannot currently predict the make up of the board might change. Maybe one director at a time. But it will happen.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 110
lukeo
February 1, 2018, 10:43pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,327
Gold Stars: 140
Always have appreciated the trust and what they do. Thank you Baxenden and everyone else, maybe the trust need to organise a get together of members and see what everyone feels is best. Personally have to agree with some comments here, clearly can't work alongside this current board.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 110
KingstonMariner
February 1, 2018, 10:46pm
Meths Drinker
Another way of looking at it is, not being on the board is a bit like being Norway in respect of the EU. Still have to abide by the decisions of the EU, still have to contribute disproportionately to the budget, still have to accept free movement, still have to accept EU regs on just about everything, but without a say in the rules. Not even at the discussion table.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 110
Cambs Mariner
February 1, 2018, 10:56pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +1,233
Quoted from KingstonMariner

The other way of looking at it is the Trust is the only party that will 'speak truth to power'. If a new party plans to takeover, not being on the board means not having a voice in the discussions. Always best to keep a foot in the door even if it doesn't look like it's achieving much currently.

One day through circumstances we cannot currently predict the make up of the board might change. Maybe one director at a time. But it will happen.

If and when it happens, hopefully very soon,  then all of the board will be gone because JSF holds the ace card. The rest are just there to make up a board. You may as well have some of the Muppets on the board for all the use they are. It was good to have the Trust on board when things were going relatively well a year or so ago. But now everything about the GTFC board has become poisonous and the sooner the Trust distance themselves the better. They are far better looking for new owners and negotiating with them for a better future for the Club and the fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 110
RexFannies
February 1, 2018, 11:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +517
Gold Stars: 5
Can I just ask as I am not really clued up on all this stuff. Did the Trust not gift Mr. Fenty a whole lot of shares that were given to them by the Carphone guy? Would it have made them more powerful if those shares had be kept. I could be completely wrong on this, like I said I am not into all this power and shares malarkey.

The Only Way Is Up
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 34 - 110
arryarryarry
February 1, 2018, 11:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from RexFannies
Can I just ask as I am not really clued up on all this stuff. Did the Trust not gift Mr. Fenty a whole lot of shares that were given to them by the Carphone guy? Would it have made them more powerful if those shares had be kept. I could be completely wrong on this, like I said I am not into all this power and shares malarkey.

I might be wrong bit didn't he come from Youngs?
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 110
RexFannies
February 1, 2018, 11:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

I might be wrong bit didn't he come from Youngs?

Maybe...was it Mike Parker. I kept thinking Mike Ashley then I realised it wasn't him lol

The Only Way Is Up
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 36 - 110
ginnywings
February 1, 2018, 11:25pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from RexFannies

Maybe...was it Mike Parker. I kept thinking Mike Ashley then I realised it wasn't him lol

Mike Ashley is Sports Direct. David Ross is Carphone Warehouse. Mike Parker was Youngs Seafood.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 110
RexFannies
February 1, 2018, 11:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Mike Ashley is Sports Direct. David Ross is Carphone Warehouse. Mike Parker was Youngs Seafood.

I know that now...thank you. I knew it wasn't Ashley. It was Parker I think who gave the shares away.

The Only Way Is Up
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 38 - 110
KingstonMariner
February 1, 2018, 11:38pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Cambs Mariner

If and when it happens, hopefully very soon,  then all of the board will be gone because JSF holds the ace card. The rest are just there to make up a board. You may as well have some of the Muppets on the board for all the use they are. It was good to have the Trust on board when things were going relatively well a year or so ago. But now everything about the GTFC board has become poisonous and the sooner the Trust distance themselves the better. They are far better looking for new owners and negotiating with them for a better future for the Club and the fans.

It may seem futile at the moment. But it's better we have a seat at the table when the thing finally falls apart. The trust is there representing the supporters. It's there as of right (regardless of any deals done to get it there in practice). It's a bit like voting in elections. A lot of the time it seems pointless. But if we didn't have that right where would we be..

Things might be poisonous, but sometimes you just have to crack on and deal with people and situations you'd rather not deal with. I'm sure Fenty and the others wish that the fans Trust did not have a rep on the club board. It's our club so why should our rep be the one to leave?

Front it out I say.

Bax has shown today that the Trust can still have a voice regardless of the obligations that Jon Wood is under as a member of the club board. The Trust showed that it can still say what it thinks is right, as witnessed by the support it gave for the fans game last year. It can still speak up despite the club being silent (despite Jon himself not being able to speak loudly publicly) over Bragate. The positions are not incompatible.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 110
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners Trust statement

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.