3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 1, 2018, 1:00pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Like a number of posters my view of John Fenty’s stewardship of the club goes back a long, long way and I’ve been critical of it through all manner of ridiculous managerial appointments. At times I have felt a twinge of gratitude towards him for keeping the club afloat but then I’ve thought “well, the problems are down to him anyway so he reaps what he has sown.”

The snag is that the supporters also reap what he has sown.

His choice of managers on the whole has been abysmal and his long term planning is an object lesson in how not to run a football club.

But - having said all that (again) - we find ourselves between a rock and a hard place. Just suppose Russell Slade takes notice of all the social media pundits and leaves. Where do the “Slade Out” banner wavers suggest a new manager will come from? A series of Fishy threads will spring up again with useful suggestions like Bring Back Buckley, How About Macca? Conte is leaving Chelsea and all the rest. But where will a good new manager come from? More to the point, will a decent manager come to a job which now must be a joke or have a poisoned chalice reputation throughout football?

That is bad enough. But it could be even worse. What if Fenty packs up too? What if he calls the bluff? Not necessarily leaving town but just packs up as decision making non-chairman. Maybe he leaves his money in the club but resigns from the board and takes off for Gran Canaria for 6 months. Don’t laugh. It is a possible scenario and one that is a lot more likely than Gandalf on a white horse coming to the rescue with a bucketful of magic cash to buy out Fenty and the board.

The banner wavers get what they wanted. The manager is gone, the board is gone, the chief investor is gone. Games coming up. Bills to pay. Then what?

I ask this in all seriousness because I don’t know the answer and I don’t think too many banner wavers are coming up with positive suggestions that make sense.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
mirrorballman
February 1, 2018, 1:04pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +552
Gold Stars: 8
What if Slade and Fenty go? Haven't a clue but bring it on. Anything would be better than this slow death.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 21
livosnose
February 1, 2018, 1:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,159
Gold Stars: 15
Like a number of posters my view of John Fenty’s stewardship of the club goes back a long, long way and I’ve been critical of it through all manner of ridiculous managerial appointments. At times I have felt a twinge of gratitude towards him for keeping the club afloat but then I’ve thought “well, the problems are down to him anyway so he reaps what he has sown.”

His choice of managers on the whole has been abysmal and his long term planning is an object lesson in how not to run a football club.

But - having said all that (again) - we find ourselves between a rock and a hard place. Just suppose Russell Slade takes notice of all the social media pundits and leaves. Where do the “Slade Out” banner wavers suggest a new manager will come from? A series of Fishy threads will spring up again with useful suggestions like Bring Back Buckley, How About Macca? Conte is leaving Chelsea and all the rest. But where will a good new manager come from? More to the point, will a decent manager come to a job which now must be a joke or have a poisoned chalice reputation throughout football?

That is bad enough. But it could be even worse. What if Fenty packs up too? What if he calls the bluff? Not necessarily leaving town but just packs up as decision making non-chairman. Maybe he leaves his money in the club but resigns from the board and takes off for Gran Canaria for 6 months. Don’t laugh. It is a possible scenario and one that is a lot more likely than Gandalf on a white horse coming to the rescue with a bucketful of magic cash to buy out Fenty and the board.

The banner wavers get what they wanted. The manager is gone, the board is gone, the chief investor is gone. Games coming up. Bills to pay. Then what?

I ask this in all seriousness because I don’t know the answer and I don’t think too many banner wavers are coming up with positive suggestions that make sense.

we would find a way

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 21
friskneymariner
February 1, 2018, 1:05pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
R.R.F.C. much as we are shackled to Fenty,he is shackled to the club this will result in a deadly embrace unless the chains are broken.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 21
MarinerMal
February 1, 2018, 1:06pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +784
Gold Stars: 17
What I've got is excrement but I'm clinging onto it because I'm scared it might be worse without my excrement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 21
Cloudy
February 1, 2018, 1:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431

Probably not far from the best scenario we can hope for.

JSF, leaves for sunnier climates and doesnt demand his loans or debts are repaid. Utopia from where we are today
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 21
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 1, 2018, 1:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
Am sure that many would start backing the club through the turnstiles a lot more. Many people, and it's probably not being over dramatic, are NOT going to Renew their season ticket and I'd say that it stands at around 1000 at the moment (a fair whack at any clubs level)

It's a club that's hardly been burning bright (except the odd time) throughout his tenureship, more like the ambers are burning but there's no one to waft them! But, and this is my issue, the powers that be treat the supporters with contempt and a lack of respect.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 21
1mickylyons
February 1, 2018, 1:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
RRFC we can`t go on a minute longer in this downward spiral.You are right in things may become worse without JF possibly a lot worse but he is the one at fault.The fans have backed the Club at every turn where is his backing of us, why Slade ,and why retain him against the wishes of the fans and the best interests of the Club?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 21
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 1, 2018, 2:11pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from 1mickylyons
RRFC we can`t go on a minute longer in this downward spiral.You are right in things may become worse without JF possibly a lot worse but he is the one at fault.The fans have backed the Club at every turn where is his backing of us, why Slade ,and why retain him against the wishes of the fans and the best interests of the Club?

I’m not disagreeing about the state of things at the club but what exactly are you suggesting should happen?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 21
Bigdog
February 1, 2018, 2:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Probably £20k per home match better off and a massive vocal backing for the team, and if Slade went with him a boost in season ticket sales for next season..

It's funny, sometimes when somebody's been in a position for that long that you can't imagine anyone else being there. Just because you don't know who the replacement is yourself, the void left is always filled somehow..

The problem is with this part of the club statement..

The Board reiterated today that the Club remains open to further external investment to work with the current Board.

Alternatively, we invite any interested parties who feel that they have the wherewithal to take over the financial and operational running of the Club without the existing Directors to approach the Club to discuss the process.

Such approach may be by an individual, consortium or appropriate organisation.
The existing Directors’ loans and shareholding would not be a barrier to any interested parties subject to the usual due diligence taking place

What isn't explained and left open to interpretation is.. Why won't the director's loan and shareholding be a barrier?

Is it because JF values his shares at £0?

Is it because he's prepared to write the loans off in admission of his pecuniary mistakes?

Or is it that he does not think the present book value of his £2.9m stranglehold over the club is a barrier to potential investors?

Or a compromise deal somewhere in between?

Because how I see it, an initial price of £2.9m before working capital investment for a club that's pretty worthless on paper looks a big barrier to me. A bit more clarity on this part of the statement wouldn't go amiss ..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 21
moosey_club
February 1, 2018, 2:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
If he walked away and we were left facing admin as a result , as we couldn't cover any debts come the end of the season,  then all forms of social media and forums will be trawled for any dissenters and each will be contacted to pay an equal share of the debt  

Should work out about 50p each at the going rate of dissent  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 21
friskneymariner
February 1, 2018, 2:25pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
But if we did go into administration he would be one of the biggest losers so he is just as much stuck with the club as he is with it. The club should never have been allowed to become so indebted to one individual.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 21
grimsby pete
February 1, 2018, 6:08pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Who would take over if Slade left ?

Well if the cleaning lady took over she could not be much worse than what Slade has done over the last 10 games.

If she went into the changing room and said ," look lads I know fu ck all about football so just go out and do what you do best "

In fact maybe Slade could say that and see what happens.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 21
February 1, 2018, 6:15pm
Guest User
If the club went into administration then the administrators would look to secure the best deal for the creditors, whatever that looks like.  10p in the £ is not an uncommon scenario, of course the creditors have to accept the offer.

I personally don’t see any other way out for Fenty, if he carries on revenues will fall much faster than cost can be removed, if he doesn’t continue with financial support then the club will go into administration.

He’s cornered himself and knows it, much though I admire the paying fans who continue to support and attend, you’re just delaying the inevitable.
Reply: 13 - 21
February 1, 2018, 6:30pm
Guest User
Forgot to add, there are many far more intelligent people than me out there, about 99% of the population at a guess.  But if there are any interested party’s out there, I would assume they won’t be making any moves at this stage, delaying can only improve their position.
Reply: 14 - 21
Squinter
February 1, 2018, 7:29pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +587
Gold Stars: 9
I'm not fussed if Fenty stays or goes to be honest, but if he stays he has to do 2 things :-

1 - Get rid of Slade ASAP.  
2 - Step away from the day to day running of the club.

Quite happy for him to leave his money in the club, also I like the fact he wants the club to live within its means, break even every year and not get shackled with anymore debt.  The ethos works well for Burnley and others.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 21
RonMariner
February 1, 2018, 9:08pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,655
Gold Stars: 226
If Fenty put the club into admin the major asset, i.e. Blundell Park, would be sold and he could recover some of his investment that way. It must be worth a few hundred thousand as building land.

That would leave the club pennyless and homeless
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 21
TheRealJohnLewis
February 1, 2018, 9:28pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from RonMariner
If Fenty put the club into admin the major asset, i.e. Blundell Park, would be sold and he could recover some of his investment that way. It must be worth a few hundred thousand as building land.

That would leave the club pennyless and homeless

This is where we get together with the Trust and crowdfund the money to buy BP on the cheap. win-win.

Private Message
Reply: 17 - 21
kevikov
February 1, 2018, 10:22pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
I'm probably way off but isn't there a covenant on Blundell Park that states it must stay as green/leisure land unless a suitable replacement is provided?  I admit I could well be imagining this!

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 21
Cambs Mariner
February 1, 2018, 10:32pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +1,233
Aren't his loans attached to Blundell Park which would mean he is top of the debtors list.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 21
KingstonMariner
February 1, 2018, 11:22pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from kevikov
I'm probably way off but isn't there a covenant on Blundell Park that states it must stay as green/leisure land unless a suitable replacement is provided?  I admit I could well be imagining this!

Possibly something like this when it was originally built. That part of Cleethorpes, right up to Queen Mary Avenue and down to Sussex Rec  was owned by Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge Uni*. They were an enlightened landlord with a leaning toward what today would be called Corporate Social Responsibility.

But I think the land is ear-marked for housing int he local plan I think if we get a new stadium. So maybe the covenant has lapsed.

* the benefactor who gave the land to the college was one Peter Blundell, hence the name of the avenue that leads to the Holy of Holies.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 21
toontown
February 2, 2018, 8:03am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,258
Gold Stars: 70
Perhaps the local plan assumes we get a new stadium before we would sell our ground, therefore the suitable replacement part of the covenant is fulfilled? Don't know but that could be a reason.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Be careful what you wish for

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.