3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 1, 2018, 1:00pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Like a number of posters my view of John Fenty’s stewardship of the club goes back a long, long way and I’ve been critical of it through all manner of ridiculous managerial appointments. At times I have felt a twinge of gratitude towards him for keeping the club afloat but then I’ve thought “well, the problems are down to him anyway so he reaps what he has sown.”

The snag is that the supporters also reap what he has sown.

His choice of managers on the whole has been abysmal and his long term planning is an object lesson in how not to run a football club.

But - having said all that (again) - we find ourselves between a rock and a hard place. Just suppose Russell Slade takes notice of all the social media pundits and leaves. Where do the “Slade Out” banner wavers suggest a new manager will come from? A series of Fishy threads will spring up again with useful suggestions like Bring Back Buckley, How About Macca? Conte is leaving Chelsea and all the rest. But where will a good new manager come from? More to the point, will a decent manager come to a job which now must be a joke or have a poisoned chalice reputation throughout football?

That is bad enough. But it could be even worse. What if Fenty packs up too? What if he calls the bluff? Not necessarily leaving town but just packs up as decision making non-chairman. Maybe he leaves his money in the club but resigns from the board and takes off for Gran Canaria for 6 months. Don’t laugh. It is a possible scenario and one that is a lot more likely than Gandalf on a white horse coming to the rescue with a bucketful of magic cash to buy out Fenty and the board.

The banner wavers get what they wanted. The manager is gone, the board is gone, the chief investor is gone. Games coming up. Bills to pay. Then what?

I ask this in all seriousness because I don’t know the answer and I don’t think too many banner wavers are coming up with positive suggestions that make sense.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
mirrorballman
February 1, 2018, 1:04pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +552
Gold Stars: 8
What if Slade and Fenty go? Haven't a clue but bring it on. Anything would be better than this slow death.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 21
livosnose
February 1, 2018, 1:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,159
Gold Stars: 15
Like a number of posters my view of John Fenty’s stewardship of the club goes back a long, long way and I’ve been critical of it through all manner of ridiculous managerial appointments. At times I have felt a twinge of gratitude towards him for keeping the club afloat but then I’ve thought “well, the problems are down to him anyway so he reaps what he has sown.”

His choice of managers on the whole has been abysmal and his long term planning is an object lesson in how not to run a football club.

But - having said all that (again) - we find ourselves between a rock and a hard place. Just suppose Russell Slade takes notice of all the social media pundits and leaves. Where do the “Slade Out” banner wavers suggest a new manager will come from? A series of Fishy threads will spring up again with useful suggestions like Bring Back Buckley, How About Macca? Conte is leaving Chelsea and all the rest. But where will a good new manager come from? More to the point, will a decent manager come to a job which now must be a joke or have a poisoned chalice reputation throughout football?

That is bad enough. But it could be even worse. What if Fenty packs up too? What if he calls the bluff? Not necessarily leaving town but just packs up as decision making non-chairman. Maybe he leaves his money in the club but resigns from the board and takes off for Gran Canaria for 6 months. Don’t laugh. It is a possible scenario and one that is a lot more likely than Gandalf on a white horse coming to the rescue with a bucketful of magic cash to buy out Fenty and the board.

The banner wavers get what they wanted. The manager is gone, the board is gone, the chief investor is gone. Games coming up. Bills to pay. Then what?

I ask this in all seriousness because I don’t know the answer and I don’t think too many banner wavers are coming up with positive suggestions that make sense.

we would find a way

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 21
friskneymariner
February 1, 2018, 1:05pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
R.R.F.C. much as we are shackled to Fenty,he is shackled to the club this will result in a deadly embrace unless the chains are broken.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 21
MarinerMal
February 1, 2018, 1:06pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +784
Gold Stars: 17
What I've got is excrement but I'm clinging onto it because I'm scared it might be worse without my excrement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 21
Cloudy
February 1, 2018, 1:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431

Probably not far from the best scenario we can hope for.

JSF, leaves for sunnier climates and doesnt demand his loans or debts are repaid. Utopia from where we are today
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 21
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 1, 2018, 1:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
Am sure that many would start backing the club through the turnstiles a lot more. Many people, and it's probably not being over dramatic, are NOT going to Renew their season ticket and I'd say that it stands at around 1000 at the moment (a fair whack at any clubs level)

It's a club that's hardly been burning bright (except the odd time) throughout his tenureship, more like the ambers are burning but there's no one to waft them! But, and this is my issue, the powers that be treat the supporters with contempt and a lack of respect.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 21
1mickylyons
February 1, 2018, 1:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
RRFC we can`t go on a minute longer in this downward spiral.You are right in things may become worse without JF possibly a lot worse but he is the one at fault.The fans have backed the Club at every turn where is his backing of us, why Slade ,and why retain him against the wishes of the fans and the best interests of the Club?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 21
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 1, 2018, 2:11pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from 1mickylyons
RRFC we can`t go on a minute longer in this downward spiral.You are right in things may become worse without JF possibly a lot worse but he is the one at fault.The fans have backed the Club at every turn where is his backing of us, why Slade ,and why retain him against the wishes of the fans and the best interests of the Club?

I’m not disagreeing about the state of things at the club but what exactly are you suggesting should happen?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 21
Bigdog
February 1, 2018, 2:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Probably £20k per home match better off and a massive vocal backing for the team, and if Slade went with him a boost in season ticket sales for next season..

It's funny, sometimes when somebody's been in a position for that long that you can't imagine anyone else being there. Just because you don't know who the replacement is yourself, the void left is always filled somehow..

The problem is with this part of the club statement..

The Board reiterated today that the Club remains open to further external investment to work with the current Board.

Alternatively, we invite any interested parties who feel that they have the wherewithal to take over the financial and operational running of the Club without the existing Directors to approach the Club to discuss the process.

Such approach may be by an individual, consortium or appropriate organisation.
The existing Directors’ loans and shareholding would not be a barrier to any interested parties subject to the usual due diligence taking place

What isn't explained and left open to interpretation is.. Why won't the director's loan and shareholding be a barrier?

Is it because JF values his shares at £0?

Is it because he's prepared to write the loans off in admission of his pecuniary mistakes?

Or is it that he does not think the present book value of his £2.9m stranglehold over the club is a barrier to potential investors?

Or a compromise deal somewhere in between?

Because how I see it, an initial price of £2.9m before working capital investment for a club that's pretty worthless on paper looks a big barrier to me. A bit more clarity on this part of the statement wouldn't go amiss ..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Be careful what you wish for

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.