Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Over Dramatic Message To John and Russ.
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 352 Guests

Over Dramatic Message To John and Russ.

This thread currently has 2,706 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
RexFannies
January 31, 2018, 7:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +517
Gold Stars: 5
John, Russell. We existed before you and will do long after.

I remember my Newmans Aces scarf, The Drinkell hat trick against Sheffield United, Living next door to Dave Boylen and being too young to take advantage of it. I remember watching in disbelief as we crushed Man City 4-1 at Blundell Park and John Cockerills determination in beating Exeter to win promotion. I remember Wayne Burnett scoring at Wembley and causing Alan Buckley’s massive hip thrust. Winning at 2-1 Anfield, Losing 5-0 at Anfield. I remember Turf Moor against Burnley to get to the Auto Windscreen cup final, Beating West Ham 3-0 after drawing at their place. Beating Fulham in the playoffs. Shearers Lip, Kalala’s goal. Paul Peschisolido’s tackle on Handyside. Wilko’s goal versus Everton. Tony Ford. Mick Brolly scoring twice against Everton. Dave Beasant being called ‘Butterfingers’ on Calandar and Beating Newcastle in their own backyard…Jim Dobbin. The Town versus WBA grudge games and the way Groves hit that penalty. Ivano Bonetti scoring at Tranmere. Thousands travelling to Plough Lane with their Harry Haddocks. The 6-5 win over Burnley. The 7-1 defeat to Sheffield Wednesday. Paul Futcher tackling someone with his head. Super Clive Mendonca. The slowest goal in the world by Big Keith. The whole ground singing ‘You only sing when you are winning’ to Scunthorpe after coming from a goal down to win 2-1.  Neil Woods 2 goal debut at Preston on a plastic pitch, Neil Woods as manager. Travelling to Portsmouth and being 4 nil down at half time. Buckley 1,2 and 3. Standing in the Barrett stand and watching the reserves. I remember Doug Everitt and Bryan Huxford. I remember being top of League 1..The Championship. Finishing 5th in what would now be the Championship. I remember being bottom, being down and being out. Chase Town.  A never to be bettered team goal against Huddersfield in the 5 – 1 drubbing. It's Birtles on the back page of the Telegraph. I remember Bill Carr as Chairman. I remember it being great and I remember it being terrible. The bad times were only bad because of the good times.

I cannot ever remember it being all bad. Until Now. That is what you have done.

The Only Way Is Up
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
January 31, 2018, 8:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Thing is you mentioned neil woods as manager, those few years when and before that happened, it was all bad, the last 15 years its been mostly bad, thats the issue, we absolutely fail to capitalise on any momentum we have, any time theres good feeling from the fans, and thats why people are calling for more than a change in manager.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
denni266
January 31, 2018, 8:02pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +635
Gold Stars: 129
Well said that man  well said
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
gytone
January 31, 2018, 8:04pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 7
I too remember all of these things, but can never remember it being as bad as it is now. I've been to two home games this year and hardly listen on the radio and do you know what i find it really sad,and it upsets me greatly but i just cannot find the enthusiasm to go anymore, i admit i'm enjoying the money i'm saving but would rather be at  BP cheering my beloved Mariners. I have to say i didnt want Slade back but was prepared to give him a chance, but that chance has now gone and so have i, thank you and goodbye  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
bawarmy
January 31, 2018, 8:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,821
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from RexFannies

I remember my Newmans Aces scarf, The Drinkell hat trick against Sheffield United, Living next door to Dave Boylen and being too young to take advantage of it. I remember watching in disbelief as we crushed Man City 4-1 at Blundell Park and John Cockerills determination in beating Exeter to win promotion. I remember Wayne Burnett scoring at Wembley and causing Alan Buckley’s massive hip thrust. Winning at 2-1 Anfield, Losing 5-0 at Anfield. I remember Turf Moor against Burnley to get to the Auto Windscreen cup final, Beating West Ham 3-0 after drawing at their place. Beating Fulham in the playoffs. Shearers Lip, Kalala’s goal. Paul Peschisolido’s tackle on Handyside. Wilko’s goal versus Everton. Tony Ford. Mick Brolly scoring twice against Everton. Dave Beasant being called ‘Butterfingers’ on Calandar and Beating Newcastle in their own backyard…Jim Dobbin. The Town versus WBA grudge games and the way Groves hit that penalty. Ivano Bonetti scoring at Tranmere. Thousands travelling to Plough Lane with their Harry Haddocks. The 6-5 win over Burnley. The 7-1 defeat to Sheffield Wednesday. Paul Futcher tackling someone with his head. Super Clive Mendonca. The slowest goal in the world by Big Keith. The whole ground singing ‘You only sing when you are winning’ to Scunthorpe after coming from a goal down to win 2-1.  Neil Woods 2 goal debut at Preston on a plastic pitch, Neil Woods as manager. Travelling to Portsmouth and being 4 nil down at half time. Buckley 1,2 and 3. Standing in the Barrett stand and watching the reserves. I remember Doug Everitt and Bryan Huxford. I remember being top of League 1..The Championship. Finishing 5th in what would now be the Championship. I remember being bottom, being down and being out. Chase Town.  A never to be bettered team goal against Huddersfield in the 5 – 1 drubbing. It's Birtles on the back page of the Telegraph. I remember Bill Carr as Chairman. I remember it being great and I remember it being terrible. The bad times were only bad because of the good times.

How can that get a red cross against it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
friskneymariner
January 31, 2018, 8:13pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
Come on Sonic as the relatively sensible one of the family lets have your take.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
grimsby pete
January 31, 2018, 8:17pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from bawarmy

Getyourfactsright ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
PrestwichMariner
January 31, 2018, 8:19pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +281
Gold Stars: 5
God those memories!

Wearing badges is not enough in days like these!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
MuddyWaters
January 31, 2018, 8:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from bawarmy

There's 18 who have confidence in the board last time looked.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
jock dock tower
January 31, 2018, 10:20pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
ginnywings
January 31, 2018, 10:27pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from jock dock tower

Shearer just tweeted that Ashley has a net spend over 11 years of 4.5 million a season, which is beyond derisory in the Premier League. Ashley's net worth is 2.5 to 3.5 billion, depending on who you believe. Now that is penny pinching.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 15
moosey_club
January 31, 2018, 10:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220

they will have to be proven as fire retardent otherwise the stewards will be confiscating  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 15
RichMariner
January 31, 2018, 10:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
I saw some pathetic performances when we were non-league, but they were fleeting. On the whole, we always had promotion in our sights and were comfortably winning more games than we were losing.

But now...

Now we're just nothing. I'm not entertained in the slightest, I've not felt genuine joy following Town since maybe the 3-0 win over Mansfield last season when Evans was sent to the stands.

I was always worried about the post-Hurst days, when they arrived.

Well, they're here now and things are worse than I ever could've imagined. It's remarkable how quickly things have fallen off a cliff since he left.

The nature of our quick demise just goes to show that there wasn't any plan in place behind the scenes. No thoughts of the future, no support network, nothing.

If there was something - a philosophy, an ethos, a culture to aspire to - then we wouldn't be all over the place today, with no discernible recruitment policy and no clear tactics.

It's just finger-in-the-air stuff. As a club we were totally dependent on Hurst, and our record since he left - off the field as well as on it - just goes to show what a valuable asset he was.

There might be another Paul Hurst out there, but I doubt Fenty will find him. Not that he's looking anyway.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 12 - 15
promotion plaice
January 31, 2018, 10:54pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188
Quoted from RexFannies

I remember us being 6-0 up against Darlington at half-time .......seems a million miles away at the moment.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 15
KingstonMariner
January 31, 2018, 10:57pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

'We couldn't possibly do that at Grimsby. We need a rich benefactor.'

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 15
moosey_club
January 31, 2018, 10:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from RichMariner
I saw some pathetic performances when we were non-league, but they were fleeting. On the whole, we always had promotion in our sights and were comfortably winning more games than we were losing.

But now...

Now we're just nothing. I'm not entertained in the slightest, I've not felt genuine joy following Town since maybe the 3-0 win over Mansfield last season when Evans was sent to the stands.

I was always worried about the post-Hurst days, when they arrived.

Well, they're here now and things are worse than I ever could've imagined. It's remarkable how quickly things have fallen off a cliff since he left.

The nature of our quick demise just goes to show that there wasn't any plan in place behind the scenes. No thoughts of the future, no support network, nothing.

If there was something - a philosophy, an ethos, a culture to aspire to - then we wouldn't be all over the place today, with no discernible recruitment policy and no clear tactics.

It's just finger-in-the-air stuff. As a club we were totally dependent on Hurst, and our record since he left - off the field as well as on it - just goes to show what a valuable asset he was.

There might be another Paul Hurst out there, but I doubt Fenty will find him. Not that he's looking anyway.

Seasons in non league decimated our income....decimated behind the scenes....Hurst wanted more infrastructure didnt get it and left, Bignot identified it too, got some support but was cut off at the legs as it was too long term and not the immediate success JF wanted/ expected....
we are now bailing out that lack of long term planning again in January ....and press repeat for next summer/season no doubt.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Over Dramatic Message To John and Russ.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.