Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tollbar Traffic Lights !
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 152 Guests

Tollbar Traffic Lights !

This thread currently has 3,010 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
January 31, 2018, 5:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,194
Gold Stars: 224
Council have rubber stamped their installation and the removal of the roundabout today by the sounds of it. I wonder how well that will work on matchday at Peaks Parkway  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
AndyDarloFC
January 31, 2018, 5:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +17 / 0
Approval: +1,695
Gold Stars: 33
Ridiculous decision imo.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 15
moosey_club
January 31, 2018, 5:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I honestly dont use that junction that much so not sure how bad the traffic gets personally .....council seem to be using child safety as the main reasoning...given that child safety is largely a risk during school term only, mon - fri and twice a day for half an hour then it seems to be a major solution to a relatively restricted risk.  

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
KingstonMariner
February 1, 2018, 11:01pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from moosey_club
I honestly dont use that junction that much so not sure how bad the traffic gets personally .....council seem to be using child safety as the main reasoning...given that child safety is largely a risk during school term only, mon - fri and twice a day for half an hour then it seems to be a major solution to a relatively restricted risk.  

Only takes half a second.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
moosey_club
February 2, 2018, 1:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Only takes half a second.

It does, but its a risk that could be managed in other ways potentially....schoolchildren are schoolchildren....some are very sensible, some pratt about, some are easily led....then there are pensioners, cyclists, etc .....in relation to hazards ...in this case crossing a road...the best approach is to eliminate the hazard altogether.

Build footbridges over the carriageway....four of them, one for each approach road and children wont need to access the highway at all. Drivers jump lights, race through lights, pedestrians gamble with traffic...run across if they think a gap is just big enough.

Traffic lights will still require pedestrians ,and cyclists that use the cycle paths around there, to enter into the road .....have you ever pushed a button on a pelican crossing and then crossed the road because there is a lull in the traffic ? Ever stood at a pelican crossing tied in with traffic lights , like at Frederick Ward Way....and waited for the sequence to give you a green man ? Takes forever...children dont wait forever, they have just escaped from school !! they will still just cross when and where they think they can...potentially bringing into contact with traffic.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
fishyfanny
February 3, 2018, 9:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.91
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,516
Gold Stars: 15
Agree with all that 100%. School kids just aren't bothered about traffic at all, whether there are lights or not. They just wander out into the road and expect everyone to stop for them. I see it all the time.
The lights at Toll Bar issue will only work if they use crossing attendants, to make sure the crossings are used properly. Unfortunately, I can only seeing chaos unsue around this area!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
scrumble
February 3, 2018, 10:42am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +983
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from fishyfanny
Unfortunately, I can only seeing chaos unsue around this area!

With stationary traffic backing up from Toll Bar to Holton le clay every morning, I can't see how its going to get worse

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
DocDock
February 5, 2018, 9:34pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +235
Gold Stars: 3
If you think the traffic light installation was approved due to the issue with children’s safety then you’re very very wrong. It was approved, in part to assist development of land nearby for housing. This is mostly speculation on my part but i’d imagine the housing developers would have been less inclined to build on the land had there still been a roundabout there.

It’s a poor, poor decision to approve it, in my opinion as all it’ll lead to is people jumping the lights, especially when the traffic lights are on amber and/or the traffic has backed up, which it’ll inevitably do at rush hour. I doubt school kids will follow the road markings and crossings either, potentially leading to major accidents involving them. Oh and not forgetting the massive inconvenience it’s going to be for those living in New Waltham, Waltham, Scartho (people will use Grimsby road as a alternative route) and also those in Tetney. Fortunately i live in Cleethorpes and work at the hospital so will miss most of the congestion but it’s going to be bedlam going down Louth road over the coming months.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
Marinerz93
February 5, 2018, 10:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
There needs to be parking for people dropping their kids off, I've been stuck behind people who pull up to the roundabout, stop and spend 5 minutes letting their kids and or mates out. The kids just wander through the traffic as it comes to a stop to check if the way forward is clear.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
DocDock
February 5, 2018, 11:11pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93
There needs to be parking for people dropping their kids off, I've been stuck behind people who pull up to the roundabout, stop and spend 5 minutes letting their kids and or mates out. The kids just wander through the traffic as it comes to a stop to check if the way forward is clear.

The only way i can see there being a drop off point is if Toll bar use some of their field and create a drop off point themselves
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
LH
February 9, 2018, 9:37pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,462
Gold Stars: 172
I have been sitting at Scartho Top/Road lights coming off the Top for the last few months at 0430 in the morning and having to wait a couple of minutes for the lights to change - even when I don’t see another car until I get onto Bargate. This bizarre light sequence ended when these traffic lights were approved - not two days after I drafted the most Victor Meldrew of letters to the council about this relatively minor issue.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 15
grimps
February 13, 2018, 4:41pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 46
I don't live far from there and apart from half an hour each start and end of the school day there never any real congestion there at all.
The council seemed to be sure they needed these lights before ,during ,and after any consolation despite nobody I've met actually wanting them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 15
barralad
February 13, 2018, 5:29pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,268
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from DocDock
If you think the traffic light installation was approved due to the issue with children’s safety then you’re very very wrong. It was approved, in part to assist development of land nearby for housing. This is mostly speculation on my part but i’d imagine the housing developers would have been less inclined to build on the land had there still been a roundabout there.

It’s a poor, poor decision to approve it, in my opinion as all it’ll lead to is people jumping the lights, especially when the traffic lights are on amber and/or the traffic has backed up, which it’ll inevitably do at rush hour. I doubt school kids will follow the road markings and crossings either, potentially leading to major accidents involving them. Oh and not forgetting the massive inconvenience it’s going to be for those living in New Waltham, Waltham, Scartho (people will use Grimsby road as a alternative route) and also those in Tetney. Fortunately i live in Cleethorpes and work at the hospital so will miss most of the congestion but it’s going to be bedlam going down Louth road over the coming months.

They are currently building houses at the traffic light junction at Holton Le Clay. There is outline planning permission as I understand it for hundreds more on the field opposite Toll Bar school. There isn't a hope in hell of the current road system coping with the traffic produced by that down the line. I don't drive so personally I don't know whether lights are the answer.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 15
Les Brechin
February 13, 2018, 5:43pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from LH
I have been sitting at Scartho Top/Road lights coming off the Top for the last few months at 0430 in the morning and having to wait a couple of minutes for the lights to change - even when I don’t see another car until I get onto Bargate. This bizarre light sequence ended when these traffic lights were approved - not two days after I drafted the most Victor Meldrew of letters to the council about this relatively minor issue.

All traffic lights in the area should be turned off between 10pm and 6am I think, with the expection of the main Ellis Way/Victoria Street junction maybe. Have you noticed that whenever traffic lights are out, traffic seems to manage far better and there are less delays than when the lights are working.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 15
DocDock
February 14, 2018, 9:33am

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

They are currently building houses at the traffic light junction at Holton Le Clay. There is outline planning permission as I understand it for hundreds more on the field opposite Toll Bar school. There isn't a hope in hell of the current road system coping with the traffic produced by that down the line. I don't drive so personally I don't know whether lights are the answer.

Not forgetting the fact they’re building houses on the roundabout at the bottom of Louth road, too.

The only advantage i can see to the traffic lights is that with it soon to be a light controlled junction is that traffic from each side will be able to get out, but all i can see is the traffic building up and up and up, especially from the Holton le clay end. Still, as I suggested before, for me it’s not just for children’s safety that these traffic lights are getting built.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 15
LH
February 14, 2018, 8:46pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,462
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from Les Brechin

All traffic lights in the area should be turned off between 10pm and 6am I think, with the expection of the main Ellis Way/Victoria Street junction maybe. Have you noticed that whenever traffic lights are out, traffic seems to manage far better and there are less delays than when the lights are working.

Fully agree in a little Town like ours. A unnecessary waste of money having them turned on at those hours. I’ve seen the lights out at that junction before and traffic managed just fine. Slightly off topic but I don’t see any need for the Scartho Road bus lane either. Why cause queueing at rush hour having it in place?
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tollbar Traffic Lights !

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.