7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
BottesfordMariner
January 31, 2018, 6:56pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9

I think you are being a tad harsh there. He got us to a play off final, Yeovil to a play off final playing great football, and I believe he was league 1's manager of the year twice. Not a fantastic career, but certainly not the worst.

Everything wrong with the club can be laid at Fenty's door. Managers come and go, players come and go but the regime is stale, rotten and well ready for change but sadly no change will be forthcoming.  

You are more than entitled to your opinion. And certainly i concur with your comments on the 'regime'.

But harsh on Slade's abilities?  From where I am sat every week i see i guy who has no idea how to change things up. it's one way of playing and when that isnt working.....well.

Any 'success' he has achieved was in the distant past. Surely experience enables someone to develop themselves. The is no evidence of any development here. He's a dinosaur. The only difference is they are extinct.The games moved on....he needs to now.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 60
MuddyWaters
January 31, 2018, 7:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from arryarryarry

While he is guilty of many things that have happened to this club, did he sign Hooper, Kelly, Dixon, Woolford etc. some of the worst players seen at BP for quite a few seasons.

No, but he set the budget to sign these players. Our rivals down the A46 used promotion as a vehicle to get further success, we didn't use it at all. Slade is just a symptom of a bigger issue - Poojah put it far better than me - most managers who come here never manage again, you've got to wonder why.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 60
ginnywings
January 31, 2018, 7:20pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Perhaps Hooper, Kelly and Dixon were the best he could afford? Though it has to be said, surely one or two good players would have been better than 4 or 5 mediocre ones, some of whom can't even get into the match day squad. It's not like we are short of players is it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 60
dapperz fun pub
January 31, 2018, 7:23pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from ginnywings
Perhaps Hooper, Kelly and Dixon were the best he could afford? Though it has to be said, surely one or two good players would have been better than 4 or 5 mediocre ones, some of whom can't even get into the match day squad. It's not like we are short of players is it?

Dixon earns 50k plus I'm certain we could of got better than him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 60
Rodley Mariner
January 31, 2018, 7:39pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from ginnywings

This is what annoys me - up front we now have Vernon, Matt, Hooper, Cardwell, Jones, Asante, Vernam and Wilks. A league 2 club with 8 strikers in the squad. The two new loanees seem promising but we've signed two number tens when we desperately need a nine. Then we have three centre backs despite now favouring a formation that will start all 3. Any one suspended or injured, as they are now, and we have to change formation. Clarke or Collins gets a knock in training tomorrow..........It is such a desperately unbalanced squad with so little quality. Some young lads with some potential and some 'old-timers' who are coming to the end of good careers but very little in between.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 60
January 31, 2018, 7:41pm
Guest User
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

This is what annoys me - up front we now have Vernon, Matt, Hooper, Cardwell, Jones, Asante, Vernam and Wilks. A league 2 club with 8 strikers in the squad. The two new loanees seem promising but we've signed two number tens when we desperately need a nine. Then we have three centre backs despite now favouring a formation that will start all 3. Any one suspended or injured, as they are now, and we have to change formation. Clarke or Collins gets a knock in training tomorrow..........It is such a desperately unbalanced squad with so little quality. Some young lads with some potential and some 'old-timers' who are coming to the end of good careers but very little in between.

I still can't work out who will replace Rose at Cm for the next 3 games but have a sinking feeling it will be woolford
Reply: 45 - 60
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 31, 2018, 7:42pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23

I think you are being a tad harsh there. He got us to a play off final, Yeovil to a play off final playing great football, and I believe he was league 1's manager of the year twice. Not a fantastic career, but certainly not the worst.

Everything wrong with the club can be laid at Fenty's door. Managers come and go, players come and go but the regime is stale, rotten and well ready for change but sadly no change will be forthcoming.  

You are urinating into a hurricane I'm afraid. It would not matter if Slade had us playing like Barca and shooting through the leagues plus a couple of cups to some people ............. simply because he is Slade and they have hated him for so long they cannot go back on their grudges. Your facts are just slightly inconvenient.

Yes the real blame lies firmly at the door of the man whose managerial appointments record rivals the UK performances in the Eurovision Song Contest.  Backing the manager in the transfer market? I think that is baloney as far as this regime is concerned anyway. You don't have to be a mindreader to realise that Slade's summer signings were bordering on panic because his real targets were off the budget. Fenty is only bothered about the new ground, keeping the club afloat until the Fentydome opens and provides an avalanche of income for transfers.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 60
KingstonMariner
January 31, 2018, 7:44pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Going back to the OP, this evening is the first chance I've had to hear Barry. I managed to read the transcript on CA this afternoon. I agreed with every word he said when I read it. If it's possible, I agree with it even more now I've heard him!

Barry for mayor!

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 60
lew chaterleys lover
January 31, 2018, 7:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from arryarryarry

While he is guilty of many things that have happened to this club, did he sign Hooper, Kelly, Dixon, Woolford etc. some of the worst players seen at BP for quite a few seasons.

Yes I do blame Fenty for those signings, along with the list as long as your arm of rubbish players by a succession of managers during Fenty's tenure.

He sets the tone of the club, sets the budget and it is up to him to create a forward thinking club with training facilities and off the field stuff that can attract the best players.

He has done nothing to promote the club, not even a lick of paint on the front facade which will greet potential signings.

Most of the managers cannot get their first choice players due to a combination of the above; I assume Slade thought he could work his magic and get some Michael Reddyesque players to come, but most clubs have moved on and have better set ups so it is increasingly hard to get the right players in.

He (Fenty) always says the budget is "competitive" but was does that even mean? Compared to who? People might say we must have a big budget because we have got 30 players but that has come about by accident. We were meant to off load a lot of them.

If it is difficult to get players for a variety of reasons, then to be "competitive" we need to pay what it takes to get them to come here. He won't invest the right money, so we get stuck with the Hoopers and Kelly etc.

Ive said it before, if he cannot or will not invest in the club as it stands (ie no new stadium) then what is the point of him?
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 60
chaos33
January 31, 2018, 7:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

This, exactly. Annoys me too!

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Barry on Humberside

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.