7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 29, 2018, 8:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
I think those that sit in the main stand should start thinking about their role in the demise of GTFC and the poor performances on the pitch. It is clear to me, as a ST holder in the Upper Findus that their failure to get 100% behind RS is contributing to our lack of goals and I would like to know how many of them are responsible for booing our own players when re-entering the field of play for the second half.

To ensure transparency nobody in row L seats 44 to the other end in anyway contributed to this act. Questions will similarly be put to those sitting in the Pontoon stand in due course.

Whilst we are at it do the Programme sellers actually support town or just do it for the money? If the latter we should ask the Trust to seek volunteers to carry out this most valuable of club roles but only asking the membership for their views.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 68
friskneymariner
January 29, 2018, 8:46pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from barralad

Others have already said that it was impossible to get a truly representative view of what ALL members were thinking between Saturday and the Monday.

I would have said anybody at Blundell Park at 16.45 on Sat could gauged what the majority view was.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 68
BraStrap
January 29, 2018, 9:07pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +91
Gold Stars: 1
Has it ever made any difference having fans on the board? It's just a box-ticking exercise to say the board have listened.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 68
forza ivano
January 29, 2018, 9:57pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,169
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from BraStrap
Has it ever made any difference having fans on the board? It's just a box-ticking exercise to say the board have listened.

What an absolute crock of shite.i' lol leave others to tell you all their achievements.
I think this thread shows the depressingly low level of general knowledge on the political/ democratic make up of this country.
Firstly the board is just like any parish council. My village has about 500 people in it, unless there is a development being mooted there are only about 10 people who turn up to watch the half dozen councillors perform their democratic duties. We are fortunate to have just enough councillors, they could do with more.they often ask but very rarely does anyone put themselves forward. However everyone knows who's on the council and they're regularly mooned about over a pint in the pilgrim. If more people put themselves forward then there would be an election, but it never happens coz nobody does.
Does all this sound familiar? And this happens in nearly every parish council in the country.
Those of you criticising and questioning the boards representative should familiarise yourself with the difference between a representative and a delegate.
At the same time you might also want to look up unanimous and unequivocal and see that they are two quite different things
Having done your research then may I suggest that as you care so much about the trust then you actually get yourself a bit more involved.you never know we might even end up having an election for the trust board, but I won't hold my breath

Ps one final thought. Do we know who actually drafted that club statement? I say that because are we all 100% certain (given the appalling grammar and English in previous announcements) that they actually took the time to consider if unequivocal was truly the word they were looking for? Correct use of English and the subtleties of meanings of certain words are not exactly strong points when it comes to statements from the club. ( only last week we were informed that Luton weren't 'inflammable' and that's from a bloody ex schoolteacher!)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 68
barralad
January 29, 2018, 10:00pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from friskneymariner

I would have said anybody at Blundell Park at 16.45 on Sat could gauged what the majority view was.

You are probably right but it would have been too late then for a Board meeting that took place three weeks ago.
I would have expected a spike of people filling in the survey but it didn't materialise. Perhaps people really have just had enough.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 68
MuddyWaters
January 29, 2018, 10:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from barralad

You are probably right but it would have been too late then for a Board meeting that took place three weeks ago.
I would have expected a spike of people filling in the survey but it didn't materialise. Perhaps people really have just had enough.

Had enough, general malaise, frustration - call it what you like Ian, there doesn't seem any positive way forward. The GTFC board have developed a siege mentality where they are right and everyone else is wrong, unless your name is Russell Slade or, at a push, Shaun Harvey. They have dissed Nigel Lowther, Matt Dean, the fans at Stevenage and it will, if allowed to continue, kill the club. I don't know John Fenty, and I don't particularly want to, but he doesn't seem to be the sort of person who will offer an olive branch to the fans to make things better - and therein lies the problem.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 68
ginnywings
January 29, 2018, 10:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,115
Gold Stars: 548
If he did offer an olive branch, no doubt some would say it's the wrong shape, or came from the wrong tree, or that he took the cheap option and got it from his own garden, instead of getting a quality one from Italy.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 68
davmariner
January 29, 2018, 11:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,911
Quoted from forza ivano

What an absolute crock of shite.i' lol leave others to tell you all their achievements.
I think this thread shows the depressingly low level of general knowledge on the political/ democratic make up of this country.
Firstly the board is just like any parish council. My village has about 500 people in it, unless there is a development being mooted there are only about 10 people who turn up to watch the half dozen councillors perform their democratic duties. We are fortunate to have just enough councillors, they could do with more.they often ask but very rarely does anyone put themselves forward. However everyone knows who's on the council and they're regularly mooned about over a pint in the pilgrim. If more people put themselves forward then there would be an election, but it never happens coz nobody does.
Does all this sound familiar? And this happens in nearly every parish council in the country.
Those of you criticising and questioning the boards representative should familiarise yourself with the difference between a representative and a delegate.
At the same time you might also want to look up unanimous and unequivocal and see that they are two quite different things
Having done your research then may I suggest that as you care so much about the trust then you actually get yourself a bit more involved.you never know we might even end up having an election for the trust board, but I won't hold my breath

Ps one final thought. Do we know who actually drafted that club statement? I say that because are we all 100% certain (given the appalling grammar and English in previous announcements) that they actually took the time to consider if unequivocal was truly the word they were looking for? Correct use of English and the subtleties of meanings of certain words are not exactly strong points when it comes to statements from the club. ( only last week we were informed that Luton weren't 'inflammable' and that's from a bloody ex schoolteacher!)

Congratulations, you win the award for the most pretentious and condescending post I’ve ever read in 10 years of posting on here.

I think you do the Trust a massive disservice by comparing it to parish councils.

By design, parish councils have very little power and therefore naturally means very little engagement. It’s to cater for small villages and only makes up a small percentage of local authorities in the UK. More powerful levels of local/devolved Government have higher levels of engagement.

We’ve seen, on the other hand, how influential and powerful the trust can be with Operation Promotion. Not just financially but in terms of the feeling around the football club. It has significant power and influence if it chooses to exert it. Even in the Trust’s inception it had significant power in terms of shares, but arguably chose not to exert its power. So a comparison with a parish council is not only ignorant (as by design parish councils have very little power) but I suspect it’s the ‘I know best’ mentality that holds the trust back and stops people from joining.

I suspect if members were to be given a real say in the future of the trust by for example, having a say on who the MT representative is on the GTFC board, opinion might not be so divided on its relevance/future. The defensive/bunker mentality and lack of transparency will I think (sadly) will mean that the trust will die a death in the same way that GTST did.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 68
friskneymariner
January 29, 2018, 11:16pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
It does appear there are some extremely defensive responses on here perhaps been associating with board too much.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 68
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 29, 2018, 11:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Quoted from davmariner

Congratulations, you win the award for the most pretentious and condescending post I’ve ever read in 10 years of posting on here.

I think you do the Trust a massive disservice by comparing it to parish councils.

By design, parish councils have very little power and therefore naturally means very little engagement. It’s to cater for small villages and only makes up a small percentage of local authorities in the UK. More powerful levels of local/devolved Government have higher levels of engagement.

We’ve seen, on the other hand, how influential and powerful the trust can be with Operation Promotion. Not just financially but in terms of the feeling around the football club. It has significant power and influence if it chooses to exert it. Even in the Trust’s inception it had significant power in terms of shares, but arguably chose not to exert its power. So a comparison with a parish council is not only ignorant (as by design parish councils have very little power) but I suspect it’s the ‘I know best’ mentality that holds the trust back and stops people from joining.

I suspect if members were to be given a real say in the future of the trust by for example, having a say on who the MT representative is on the GTFC board, opinion might not be so divided on its relevance/future. The defensive/bunker mentality and lack of transparency will I think (sadly) will mean that the trust will die a death in the same way that GTST did.

Obviously you do not live in a village and fail to understand the important role parish councils have in the governance of their parish. I look forward to seeing you put yourself forward for the Trust Board in due course
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 68
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Question for Jon Wood/Mariners Trust

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.