friskneymariner
January 29, 2018, 6:59pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from barralad

No I cannot and I refer you to my previous reply. As someone steeped in the public sector you will be well aware of the term "Collective Responsibility".

As someone steeped in the machinations of very senior members of a council,I am also aware of Public Interest Immunity I have the scars to prove it.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 68
Croxton
January 29, 2018, 7:11pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,011
Gold Stars: 33
As I said on another thread, the Trust needs more members, more points of contact and higher levels of participation in it's own meetings before any of us can be too critical.
Had a pint and a brief chat with two fans in the Trust Bar before the game but there appears to be little mechanism for polite and informal exchanges with our reps.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 68
Stadium
January 29, 2018, 7:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,929
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from ginnywings
Seems to be open season on everybody associated with GTFC at the moment. I don't remember anyone questioning the Trust until recently when things have gone wrong on the pitch. When they had an open meeting in the Trust bar a few weeks back, no-one turned up. Now suddenly, people are taking umbrage at the Trust representatives part in a decision made by a board of five people. We have no idea how he voted, or even if there was a vote at all. I'm a member of the Trust and i'm happy for the Trust rep on the board to make decisions on behalf of the Trust.

Some people won't be happy until the board have gone, the Trust has gone, the manager has gone, the assistant manager has gone and half the first team squad. The blame game is getting beyond ridiculous.

At last a sensible comment on the matter-how far is the blame game going to rumble on?
At least turn up for meetings and support the trust before criticising them.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 68
barralad
January 29, 2018, 7:12pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from friskneymariner
Did not red cross you Ian but for the sake of debate,and not wishing to cast any aspirations on the hard work and integrity on any members of the Trust,but in what Universe can you call self-appointed members of the Trust Board who assume that their views are aligned to those of membership  a Representative Democracy.

Sadly you are quite right about apathy and people willing to step forward,but a representative democracy you are not.

1. As I've clearly demonstrated we aren't self appointed
2. The ongoing survey ticks all boxes regarding membership engagement. When we've picked our way through the myriad of different views about the way forward we'll be able to construct a plan to take the Trust forward in line with the wishes of hopefully a majority.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 68
MuddyWaters
January 29, 2018, 7:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from ginnywings
Seems to be open season on everybody associated with GTFC at the moment. I don't remember anyone questioning the Trust until recently when things have gone wrong on the pitch. When they had an open meeting in the Trust bar a few weeks back, no-one turned up. Now suddenly, people are taking umbrage at the Trust representatives part in a decision made by a board of five people. We have no idea how he voted, or even if there was a vote at all. I'm a member of the Trust and i'm happy for the Trust rep on the board to make decisions on behalf of the Trust.

Some people won't be happy until the board have gone, the Trust has gone, the manager has gone, the assistant manager has gone and half the first team squad. The blame game is getting beyond ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure that the uncertainty regarding the Trust's role can be dated back to the point when many found out, for the first time, that the Trust paid for a seat on the board. This then caused the question as to whether it was fair to pay for a seat on the board whilst the other 3 members owned a collective £5000 worth of shares between them.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 68
barralad
January 29, 2018, 7:20pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from Croxton
As I said on another thread, the Trust needs more members, more points of contact and higher levels of participation in it's own meetings before any of us can be too critical.
Had a pint and a brief chat with two fans in the Trust Bar before the game but there appears to be little mechanism for polite and informal exchanges with our reps.

Most Trust Board members (wearing our fetching black polo shirts can be found in one of the bars pre-match. Please come and say hello. I don't know where you sit but I'm in the Pontoon Row E . I'm always willing to talk to anyone. It may actually be preferable to watching the game.
We did actually have a "surgery" before  the FGR bar.. It was advertised but there weren't any takers. If I was cynical I might say that was because we'd won our two previous games.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 68
ginnywings
January 29, 2018, 7:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I'm pretty sure that the uncertainty regarding the Trust's role can be dated back to the point when many found out, for the first time, that the Trust paid for a seat on the board. This then caused the question as to whether it was fair to pay for a seat on the board whilst the other 3 members owned a collective £5000 worth of shares between them.

Doesn't that just show that no-one was taking any interest in the Trust, because i have known that since the start and i haven't attended any meetings? It's not like it was hidden. Suddenly, they are coming under increasing scrutiny, when until recently, no one gave them a second thought.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 68
MuddyWaters
January 29, 2018, 7:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from ginnywings

Doesn't that just show that no-one was taking any interest in the Trust, because i have known that since the start and i haven't attended any meetings? It's not like it was hidden. Suddenly, they are coming under increasing scrutiny, when until recently, no one gave them a second thought.

If I'm honest, I never gave it a thought. I suppose I thought the seat on the board was part of the shares vote thing.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 68
davmariner
January 29, 2018, 8:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,910
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from barralad

The Trust Board are elected and one third under the constitution stand for re-election annually. Notification of the upcoming AGM is made giving due notice to anybody wishing to stand for election time to prepare their bid. No organisation can be held responsible for the fact that its members are in general pretty apathetic The GTFC Board post is elected by the Trust Board so by virtue by the members.
This is going to go down like a lead balloon but enshrined in any organisation is a premise called "Collective Responsibility" which means (and apologies if this comes across as in any way patronising it truly isn't meant to) that any debate goes on at the time of the meeting and when the decision is made all members have to support that decision publicly. It is something that was enshrined in me when I became a trade union convenor 30 odd years ago and a member of the Labour Party even longer ago.
Others have already said that it was impossible to get a truly representative view of what ALL members were thinking between Saturday and the Monday.

So just to be clear, the Trust board is elected by the whole membership? Anyway the point of this thread wasn’t to have a dig at the Trust it was to try and get answers about Jon Wood who has a say on behalf of the fans but seemingly those fans aren’t able to hold him to account over his actions.

I don’t believe the issue of collective responsibility is reasonable grounds for lack of transparency. When it suited, for example, on the issue of b teams it was pretty clear how the representative voted.

I think it’s clear from the reaction on social media and on here that people are starting to realise that the Trust is important in terms of the longevity of the club. Like myself, many are frustrated at the perception of the Trust going along with the wishes of Fenty.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 68
barralad
January 29, 2018, 8:13pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from davmariner

So just to be clear, the Trust board is elected by the whole membership? Anyway the point of this thread wasn’t to have a dig at the Trust it was to try and get answers about Jon Wood who has a say on behalf of the fans but seemingly those fans aren’t able to hold him to account over his actions.

I don’t believe the issue of collective responsibility is reasonable grounds for lack of transparency. When it suited, for example, on the issue of b teams it was pretty clear how the representative voted.

I think it’s clear from the reaction on social media and on here that people are starting to realise that the Trust is important in terms of the longevity of the club. Like myself, many are frustrated at the perception of the Trust going along with the wishes of Fenty.

I could be wrong here but from memory I don't think the result of voting on the Checkatrade issue was ever made public. We did have the time to ask for views about the issue from members. I still have somewhere nearly 200 responses which helped formulate our position. We made public our opposition to the plan.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 68
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Question for Jon Wood/Mariners Trust

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.