7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
January 29, 2018, 5:37pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,193
Gold Stars: 121
There are some startling assumptions being made in this thread.

For the record:- Jon Wood is entirely accountable to the Trust Board and reports back on a very regular basis. It is not practicable or desired for the Trust Board to mandate our representative to every single meeting. When you elect a representative you do so on the understanding that they will listen to the arguments put forward and then vote accordingly on any occasion where it is necessary. This is what happens the world over in representative democracies. I'm confident that I can speak for the whole of the Trust Board when I say that we are fortunate that we have a person of Jon's integrity representing us in the Boardroom of GTFC.

EDIT:- Thank you Kingston and Headingley for making the point quicker and better than I have.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 68
MuddyWaters
January 29, 2018, 5:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,880
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from barralad

For the record:- Jon Wood is entirely accountable to the Trust Board and reports back on a very regular basis. It is not practicable or desired for the Trust Board to mandate our representative to every single meeting. When you elect a representative you do so on the understanding that they will listen to the arguments put forward and then vote accordingly on any occasion where it is necessary. This is what happens the world over in representative democracies. I'm confident that I can speak for the whole of the Trust Board when I say that we are fortunate that we have a person of Jon's integrity representing us in the Boardroom of GTFC.

EDIT:- Thank you Kingston and Headingley for making the point quicker and better than I have.

Not sure that I see the board of GTFC as a democracy.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 68
KingstonMariner
January 29, 2018, 5:42pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
LH said:

"I accept that although I know myself and others have offered help in the past and haven’t heard anything for a while.

As we’re seeing on a different thread now though a Trust board member who has been nominated for the club board position by his colleagues (if I remember correctly) is coming under fire for making/not making a decision at club board level. Surely this is a prime example of why the Trust board should be elected? So that the fans opinion can be truly measured. I can see why some on social media get a bit arsey about it but I also accept that there might be apathy in taking part in votes.

It’s not something for immediate change but maybe something to look at in the future. I’d also like to see straw polls taken for things like manager approval and club decisions so that the trust can feed back stats to back up statements on behalf of the fans to the club."

In effect Trust Board members are elected. It's just that there's no opposition! It will only change when more people stand for office. Very few people even bother to attained open forums let alone put themselves forward for office. You could say we get the Trust we deserve.

It's bad if no one has got back to you about offers of help given that there's lots that could be done.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 68
friskneymariner
January 29, 2018, 5:48pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
Kingston in reply to your response to my question you stated that you got your mandate from the members,well how did you arrive at the members decision re backing Slade,was there any consultation?.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 68
KingstonMariner
January 29, 2018, 5:56pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from friskneymariner
Kingston in reply to your response to my question you stated that you got your mandate from the members,well how did you arrive at the members decision re backing Slade,was there any consultation?.

Friskney. I am not a member of the Trust board. Just an ordinary member. I didn't state that I got my mandate from anyone!

Like I said though, it's a representative democracy. We elect our representatives to take decisions on our behalf in situations where the facts aren't known in advance and the timing isn't always convenient. There is no onus on them to make a decision that accords with members' views. They're there to use their judgement.

Also as I said we don't even know if there was a vote and if so which way he voted.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree. There are lots of things wrong with the club but IMO this isn't one of them. It's like a murder scene but your focusing on a cyclist riding without lights.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 68
barralad
January 29, 2018, 6:07pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Not sure that I see the board of GTFC as a democracy.

Really? Well all I can suggest is that you take a look at the sites of Trusts the length and breadth of the country where fans through those Trusts are excluded from any say in the running of their club.
Neither you nor I have any idea as to the discussions that take place at GTFC Board level before votes are taken. There seems to be a popular assumption which has almost become an urban myth that the Board are merely there to rubber stamp J.Fs views, which in the absence of proof,  if nothing else is actually a slight on the characters of all Board members. If, of course you can provide evidence I'll retract these comments with a fulsome apology.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 68
friskneymariner
January 29, 2018, 6:08pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
To be and effective orginisation representing its member the Trust must continually reflect on its performances and assess as to whether it is achieving it's aims and objectives. The Trust can achieve a lot but it is vital it has credibility amongst the fan base,from what I hear at Blundel Park on a Saturday this could be significantly improved.

I am truly perplexed anyone could construe that as being negative.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 68
realist
January 29, 2018, 6:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,675
Gold Stars: 41
With the current shareholdings nothing else can happen except a rubber stamping exercise. It is a Fenty dictatorship regardless of what the other board members say or how they vote.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 68
davmariner
January 29, 2018, 6:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,860
Gold Stars: 75
Quoted from barralad

So did Jon Wood vote to support Russell Slade?

No one is saying that Jon Wood be mandated for every single meeting, but given that this particular vote was one of a significant magnitude I think most people would deem it appropriate to have either consulted on such a decision or at the very least, explain his actions.

After all, if members didn’t pay their subs for MT membership and if fans didn’t purchase drinks from the bars, there would be no MT representative on the GTFC board.

Your comparison to politics and representative democracies is slightly odd given (and I’m happy to be corrected if I’m wrong) that the trust board and representative on the GTFC board  are not elected by the membership. In any case, there are occasions whereby politicians/democratically elected individuals have their performance reviewed to see if their actions are still deemed in the interests of its electorate/members.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 68
barralad
January 29, 2018, 6:27pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from barralad

I dont normally bother with red crosses but in the interest of good debate would the two red crossers (to date) of this post be interested in explaining what it is about the principles of representative democracy they don't agree with?

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 68
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Question for Jon Wood/Mariners Trust

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.