7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
davmariner
January 29, 2018, 4:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,910
Gold Stars: 78
The statement that the club put out states that the board voted ‘unequivocally’ in support of Russell Slade. On this basis, I assume Jon Wood (the MT representative on the GTFC board) voted in support of Slade. Could either Jon Wood or someone from the Trust confirm if this was the case or not?

If Jon Wood did vote in favour of supporting Slade, on what basis did he make the decision to do this? Was anyone else at the Trust consulted about this, and did Jon Wood seek to gain an insight into the views of the Trust members, the very people he’s meant to represent on the GTFC board. Any clarification would be much appreciated.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
pizzzza
January 29, 2018, 4:52pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,698
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from davmariner
The statement that the club put out states that the board voted ‘unequivocally’ in support of Russell Slade. On this basis, I assume Jon Wood (the MT representative on the GTFC board) voted in support of Slade. Could either Jon Wood or someone from the Trust confirm if this was the case or not?

Unequivocally is not the same as unanimously.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 68
headingly_mariner
January 29, 2018, 4:58pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,314
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from davmariner

If Jon Wood did vote in favour of supporting Slade, on what basis did he make the decision to do this? Was anyone else at the Trust consulted about this, and did Jon Wood seek to gain an insight into the views of the Trust members, the very people he’s meant to represent on the GTFC board. Any clarification would be much appreciated.

He's selected to represent the Trust in matters on the board. They can't do a poll for every decision they have to make and to be fair they shouldn't. It's a bit like being an politician, you're given the nod from the people who have voted for you to make decisions on their behalf.
It's a tricky one because at the time of the statement feeling about a sacking was not quite as strong as it is now, in fact in a poll on here I think a fair chuck suggested he should be backed in the window and not sacked. I understand that now not many fans would be against a sacking. There is a real anti board feeling about at the minute and it is unfair for the Trust to be grouped in with that. The Trust are our best preforming director and I think it's time for them to distance themselves from the others.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 68
KingstonMariner
January 29, 2018, 4:59pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Dav, I'll just copy and paste what I said to Friskney on another thread.

The statement used the word unequivocal which is not the same as unanimous. So someone may have not voted in favour of Slade. We won't know if and who because they don't publish the way board members vote.

Whichever way Jon Wood voted he had the mandate to make that decision as the duly appointed Trust board member.

So there's a lot of 'IFs' in this:

If there was a vote and;
If JW voted in favour of Slade and;
If that was the wrong decision (and there isn't unanimity about whether it would be wise to sack the manager at this point of the season - it being either too late or too soon, or too disruptive, or there being slim prospects of recruiting a better manager now, and that it's always a risk, and whether there's confidence in the right manager being appointed given the track record of you know who)

That's a tough decision and I'm happy for Jon Wood to take it. If he did.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 68
davmariner
January 29, 2018, 5:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner

He's selected to represent the Trust in matters on the board. They can't do a poll for every decision they have to make and to be fair they shouldn't. It's a bit like being an politician, you're given the nod from the people who have voted for you to make decisions on their behalf.
It's a tricky one because at the time of the statement feeling about a sacking was not quite as strong as it is now, in fact in a poll on here I think a fair chuck suggested he should be backed in the window and not sacked. I understand that now not many fans would be against a sacking. There is a real anti board feeling about at the minute and it is unfair for the Trust to be grouped in with that. The Trust are our best preforming director and I think it's time for them to distance themselves from the others.

My post was not anti-trust at all so I’d suggest you read it again if that’s the impression you took.

It’s a point about accountability. What’s the point in Jon Wood being a Mariners Trust representative if he’s not answerable to anyone? Then he might as well just be a randomer on the GTFC board.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 68
GrimRob
January 29, 2018, 5:07pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
The only possible reason for not sacking him is the cost of doing so. But is this a consideration which a representative of the fans should take into account? Just asking, I am not sure what his remit is.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 68
davmariner
January 29, 2018, 5:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Dav, I'll just copy and paste what I said to Friskney on another thread.

The statement used the word unequivocal which is not the same as unanimous. So someone may have not voted in favour of Slade. We won't know if and who because they don't publish the way board members vote.

Whichever way Jon Wood voted he had the mandate to make that decision as the duly appointed Trust board member.

So there's a lot of 'IFs' in this:

If there was a vote and;
If JW voted in favour of Slade and;
If that was the wrong decision (and there isn't unanimity about whether it would be wise to sack the manager at this point of the season - it being either too late or too soon, or too disruptive, or there being slim prospects of recruiting a better manager now, and that it's always a risk, and whether there's confidence in the right manager being appointed given the track record of you know who)

That's a tough decision and I'm happy for Jon Wood to take it. If he did.

Hence why I’ve asked the question. The use of unequivocal suggests a decision was made without doubt.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 68
realist
January 29, 2018, 5:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,689
Gold Stars: 41
I agree with Kingston. The Trust board member is in a very difficult position. He might be given sensitive information that he can't share, and has to make a decision on the spot, adjourning the meeting whilst he consults with the members is not an option.  But, I think he should explain to the trust how he voted and why, he has to be accountable
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 68
friskneymariner
January 29, 2018, 5:19pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from realist
I agree with Kingston. The Trust board member is in a very difficult position. He might be given sensitive information that he can't share, and has to make a decision on the spot, adjourning the meeting whilst he consults with the members is not an option.  But, I think he should explain to the trust how he voted and why, he has to be accountable

Exactly as  the Board member of the Trust he has to ascertain he is representing the wishes and feelings of the Trust members.
As a Trust member no-one  asked me for my opinion,
I can see that thy may be issues of confidentiality in relation to Commercial Issues or Personnel Issues which are quite legitimate,but you cannot hide behind issues of confidentiality to not inform members of the Trust you represent how you voted on their behalf.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 68
KingstonMariner
January 29, 2018, 5:35pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from friskneymariner

Exactly as  the Board member of the Trust he has to ascertain he is representing the wishes and feelings of the Trust members.
As a Trust member no-one  asked me for my opinion,
I can see that thy may be issues of confidentiality in relation to Commercial Issues or Personnel Issues which are quite legitimate,but you cannot hide behind issues of confidentiality to not inform members of the Trust you represent how you voted on their behalf.

I don't see consultations on decisions like backing for a manager as a viable exercise. Not everyone has t'internet so you'd be excluding them. He's appointed to make decisions.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 68
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Question for Jon Wood/Mariners Trust

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.