2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
January 29, 2018, 1:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Probably won't surprise you to know that this is our longest winless run in the league since 2009/10.

We went 8 games without a win towards the end of 2010/11, but since then it's rare we've gone 4 or 5 games without winning.

I guess we're conditioned to expect regular victories as that's what we've experienced in recent seasons - but I'd caveat that with the fact that we don't look like turning the corner any time soon.

There are times when you lose a few but sense things will change because we're creating chances and playing well (just an idiot ref or a lack of concentration costing us).

But right now we're losing, our squad looks a mess, tactically I still can't work out what our plan is, and we're not scoring or creating chances.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
ginnywings
January 29, 2018, 1:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Isn't that the one that turned into a record breaking 25 game winless run and relegation to non league?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
RoboCod
January 29, 2018, 2:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
That was one long, long miserable winter. It was a ridiculous amount of games to go without a win. Looking back it was all the draws that killed us though, game after game of chances going begging, relegated because we didn't have the players to score the one goal here or there which would have turned the game into a 3 point haul. And safety.

All horribly familiar now

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
LH
January 29, 2018, 3:06pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,390
Gold Stars: 169
When I see stats like this I wonder if we’re in the longest ever ‘told you so’ from Fenty who is trying to prove that we would have gone down regardless of if he’d have appointed Slade instead of Woods.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
Marinerz93
January 29, 2018, 3:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from LH
When I see stats like this I wonder if we’re in the longest ever ‘told you so’ from Fenty who is trying to prove that we would have gone down regardless of if he’d have appointed Slade instead of Woods.

Seems the sort of thing he'd do, like putting a spite baby in someones family to wind them up.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
RichMariner
January 29, 2018, 10:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
A lot of fans will point to that 25-game winless run, or whatever it was, and say things were worse then and you didn't stop going to BP, etc.

It's a fair point. I'm not going again this season while Slade is in charge, yet I continued to go when we were awful in 2009/10. Why is that?

I've thought about this a lot. And I think it comes down to this:

As bad as that season was, we'd never seen anything like it before. I'd certainly never experienced such a bad run in my entire life.

This season we have a reference point. We have seen it before, and we know when trouble is brewing. So to sit there and see us do nothing about our inevitable slide back into non-league is more painful than 2009/10 ever was.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
Tommy
January 29, 2018, 10:53pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
I've been thinking back to 2009/10 too after some threads on here comparing the two.
I remembered that long winless run having a lot of draws in it, not particularly being battered by anyone, and generally being in games but too toothless up front to punish teams.

Just had a look back at results from that season that kind of back up that we weren't being thrashed or heavily beaten.

P25 W0 D15 L10

5 games lost by 1 goal. (2-3, 0-1 and 3x 1-2)
3 games lost by 2 goals. (1-3 and 2x 0-2)
2 games lost by 3 goals. (both 0-3)

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
GYinScuntland
January 30, 2018, 12:05am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,210
Gold Stars: 97
All I remember from that balderdash run was the post  match
"The win will come eventually" interviews.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
1mickylyons
January 30, 2018, 11:59am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,258
Gold Stars: 54
I still maintain the match against Bradford which was Woods first as permanent Boss was the most gutless I have ever witnessed in 40 years the lack of effort from in particular Conlon was shameful. Nothing I have seen this Season has come near in terms of lack of effort from the players.Then like now I wonder if the players are playing for the Manager or to get him out we have had a strange carry on with players all season and you can only suspect all is not well behind the scenes?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
Abdul19
January 30, 2018, 12:12pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
8 years ago today:

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTRgjysX0AA8BVL.jpg[/img]

[img]http://cdn.caughtoffside.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Harry-Kane-penalty-miss.jpg[/img]

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Longest winless run

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.