4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
January 29, 2018, 10:14am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
The silence is deafening from all quarters GTFC.

No news on RS IN/OUT and certainly no news on backing him in the transfer market.

Transfer deadline day looms

Dembele/Jones are they staying/leaving if the later do we have suitable replacements lined up and do we trust Slade/Wilkinson to spend any money wisely?

Getyourfactsright

Well overdue a statement or at the very least a rant from him.Have you given up John?

Mariner`s Trust

In my opinion massive pressure on them to get behind either the board/manager or the growing band of fans who want rid of both? They won`t be able to sit on the fence for much longer I`m afraid and next home game if we carry on as is will be the most hostile in a long time and the Trust could easily get caught with a backlash of frustration.This is assuming anyone bothers attending given weve lost 4 on the bounce at home?

Media

Due to the recent spats with Lowther and Dean all parties seem reluctant to ask questions and when I say questions I mean the right ones.

Possible Relegation

Big week this for GTFC and once it ends will that gap at the bottom have shrunk further.Town have a good number of points and I have hope we will do enough to get over the line BUT it`s looking like a tight finish so fasten your seatbelts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
realist
January 29, 2018, 11:10am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,684
Gold Stars: 41
I agree, the silence is worrying. After a week of sustained criticism  either he or Sonik would have had a rant at the fans by now, but absolutely nothing. Have they given up?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 33
Badger57
January 29, 2018, 11:20am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,896
Gold Stars: 30
They probably know they've lost the fans, well at least most of us here on The Fishy, so there's no point in trying to bullshit us anymore.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 33
friskneymariner
January 29, 2018, 11:21am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from realist
I agree, the silence is worrying. After a week of sustained criticism  either he or Sonik would have had a rant at the fans by now, but absolutely nothing. Have they given up?

Reality bites.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 33
Badger57
January 29, 2018, 11:23am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,896
Gold Stars: 30
Oops! Did I say bullshit us? Sorry I meant, talk us round with well reasoned arguments. Sorry!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 33
GrimRob
January 29, 2018, 11:29am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
I can't believe he is still here. 4 home wins by the end of January. It's simply not acceptable. I could live with it if we were in a higher division and the opposition was that much tougher but I think the very least we can expect is double figures in the games won column at home come the end of the season.

The current side is undoubtedly inferior to the one which got promoted and yet our wage bill is (I presume) much higher.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 33
chaos33
January 29, 2018, 11:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
I thought this was going to be a link to YouTube of the song 'well I wonder', by The Smiths, which is marginally more upbeat than this thread (not much in it though). Disappointed.

Can't say I see the need for any board announcements myself, nor any goading of JF,  and equally I can't say I understand the reference to The Trust copping a backlash??

Results this week are decisive IMO. Actions speak louder than words.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 33
1mickylyons
January 29, 2018, 11:46am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob
I can't believe he is still here. 4 home wins by the end of January. It's simply not acceptable. I could live with it if we were in a higher division and the opposition was that much tougher but I think the very least we can expect is double figures in the games won column at home come the end of the season.

The current side is undoubtedly inferior to the one which got promoted and yet our wage bill is (I presume) much higher.

This and you being one of the more reasoned and patient supporters Rob it`s pretty scathing you have also wanted change for the last few weeks.
WTF is going on if the statement the other week was the vote of confidence they quickly need to issue a further statement holding their paws up admitting they backed the wrong horse and sack the clown.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 33
1mickylyons
January 29, 2018, 11:55am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
I thought this was going to be a link to YouTube of the song 'well I wonder', by The Smiths, which is marginally more upbeat than this thread (not much in it though).

Can't say I see the need for any board announcements myself, nor any goading of JF,  and equally I can't say I understand the reference to The Trust copping a backlash??

Disappointed. excellent Moz B side by the way.

No goading of JF he generally gives it the big un when he feels like it but unusually quiet given the flak flying .

The Trust reference (who let me be clear I back 100%) is due to I have noticed here and elsewhere seem to be coming in for some sniping loosely along the lines of what side of the fence they sit on. Clearly if you look at their position and being on the board taken into account they sit between a rock and a hard place in appeasing both parties.This will only get worse in my opinion as nailed on the next home game or the one after will see a protest of some sort and probably the largest since Bill Carr was knifed in the back.

Sadly even positive results this week will only paper over the cracks it`s gone past that. 2-3 quality signings would help all parties and at least get a positive vibe going but this time next week it will be STILL ILL
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 33
AdamHaddock
January 29, 2018, 11:57am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,839
Gold Stars: 26
I must have missed it but what happened with Lowther?

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 33
ginnywings
January 29, 2018, 12:00pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
In the first season of his first spell, we finished 18th with 14 wins, which is slightly less than a third of all games.

We are currently 17th with 9 wins from 30, which again is slightly less than a third of all games won. If we win a third of our remaining games, we will finish about the same. Is that sacking territory? Looking at the past 9 games, then yes, it definitely is, but looking at the bigger picture over the entire season, it's currently borderline and i can understand the reluctance of the board to start all over yet again.

As chaos says, the next week is crucial. Two winnable games coming up and we need to win at least one of those as a minimum. If we don't, then the board have a massive decision, with less than a third of the season left and the window shut. It's not a decision i would like to be making.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 33
1mickylyons
January 29, 2018, 12:13pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
In the first season of his first spell, we finished 18th with 14 wins, which is slightly less than a third of all games.

We are currently 17th with 9 wins from 30, which again is slightly less than a third of all games won. If we win a third of our remaining games, we will finish about the same. Is that sacking territory? Looking at the past 9 games, then yes, it definitely is, but looking at the bigger picture over the entire season, it's currently borderline and i can understand the reluctance of the board to start all over yet again.

As chaos says, the next week is crucial. Two winnable games coming up and we need to win at least one of those as a minimum. If we don't, then the board have a massive decision, with less than a third of the season left and the window shut. It's not a decision i would like to be making.

I have said till I am blue in the face I am convinced Slade was brought in with the remit keep us treading water for 2-3 seasons til the new grounds sorted. That is only my opinion if that`s correct it makes the decision to employ him understandable he can do the firefighting job on a prudent budget and it`s unlikely you will go down on his watch? The stats you have provided back this up. However RS was unpopular with large swathes of the support previously and given we have done 6 years non league was on a hiding to nothing if things never went well having spouted about the Play Offs.RS strikes me of being thick skinned the fans wont get to him JF likewise seemingly has the ability to ignore his terrace/social media critics for the most part?I can`t see him getting sacked anytime soon if you look at Fenty`s previous sackings that have been actually football related but I hope to God I`m wrong and he pulls the trigger.Greavsie used to call the Villa Chairman Deadly Doug I wonder what he would call Mr Fenty?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 33
livosnose
January 29, 2018, 12:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,159
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from chaos33
I thought this was going to be a link to YouTube of the song 'well I wonder', by The Smiths, which is marginally more upbeat than this thread (not much in it though). Disappointed.

heaven knows im miserable now.......

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 33
GrimRob
January 29, 2018, 12:21pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ginnywings

I think it's an easy decision to make. It's going to receive almost universal support. It will cost the club a bit for sure but the cost of carrying on the path we are is much greater. The number of season ticket holders could well halve next year with RS in charge as people simply don't want to go to every game under his management. At least with someone new it would give the club a bit of a boost and may spark some interest. If we stay up next year a relegation battle next season looks on the cards unless something changes.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 33
lew chaterleys lover
January 29, 2018, 12:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings

Yes it is a tough call. I am now really beginning to worry about next season, assuming we survive. Where is the positivity going to come from, if Slade and Fenty are still in place? How many season tickets would we sell and we would start next season on tenterhooks with fans ready to look for scapegoats after a couple of defeats.

If they stay the only way fans would rally round is if we made our intentions clear by some very very good signings, which is unlikely to happen.

I agree with your other posts about let us get safe this season first, but even the immediate future after survival  looks a bit glum. What a mess.  
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 33
ginnywings
January 29, 2018, 12:31pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
I do think that Slade was the wrong choice, because he will always be on a hiding to nothing. Unless he does really well, he will get constant stick. He will not get the same leeway from fans as another more popular manager, and would have to do beyond average just to get grudging praise. First time he was here, there was much disgruntlement in his first season. Even the second season when we were at the top most of the time, he was still not liked by many fans. The play off final and leaving the way he did will always be there as a stick to beat him with. It was always a big risk and the board should have known that and not gone there in my view.

However, he's what we have, and right now we need to stick together and get some wins. Nothing else matters at the moment. Whether bringing in a new guy now would change us for the better immediately is not certain. Other teams get the new manager bounce, but knowing Town, we would probably get worse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 33
1mickylyons
January 29, 2018, 12:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
This why honesty is the best policy people like me would have still been disgruntled at Slade`s appointment but would have seen the logic in his hiring and I would have backed Fenty for the good of the Club if his remit had been spelled out. The failure to say anything concrete means everyone jumped on RS and his let`s make the play offs quote.Now coupled with the awful football the results have also tailed off and quite rightly he is being slaughtered on Social Media by the disgruntled fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 33
1mickylyons
January 29, 2018, 12:40pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from livosnose

heaven knows im miserable now.......

They have a song title for everything Town related

barbarism begins at home (TO CHELTENHAM)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 33
denni266
January 29, 2018, 12:41pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +696
Gold Stars: 132
I still think we have some reasonable players here  dispite how our results are going,, The problem is Slade and his outdated tactics and the way he sets things up..  Body language of the players gives a lot away, no one seems interested in making runs,, finding space ,, backing up the attack. all these things are basics to football and are lacking.. Everyone from being a kid on the park . school playground wants to score and be involved and have the ball, where has this gone from our game.. only one answer  Slade  wont allow it or he will drop you for a lot lesser player / mate etc. He has taken the product that fans want off the shelf , Only the die hard are left and even they are walking away now .. Can you not see this Mr Fenty  Shall we make you an appointment at specksavers
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 33
chaos33
January 29, 2018, 12:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Maybe 'The Headmaster ritual' for RS is most appropriate. 😊

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 33
grimsby pete
January 29, 2018, 12:49pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
I heard Fenty invited Slade for Sunday lunch for the last 4 weeks

For the sole purpose of getting him to resign,

BUT

Slade is such a smooth talking bast@rd he came away with a pay rise each time.

I did make it up  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 33
denni266
January 29, 2018, 12:58pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +696
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from grimsby pete
I heard Fenty invited Slade for Sunday lunch for the last 4 weeks

For the sole purpose of getting him to resign,

BUT

Slade is such a smooth talking bast@rd he came away with a pay rise each time.

It must have been for the gardening he does on a sunday for him.. No way is for anything related to football  

I did make it up  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
Davec
January 29, 2018, 1:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
The board must be hoping that he has a better 2nd season here like he did last time and at another couple of clubs he's been at where his teams have been in the play offs but what are the chances of that happening this time? Very slim I say.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
FishOutOfWater
January 29, 2018, 1:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from AdamHaddock
I must have missed it but what happened with Lowther?

He asked questions at the press conference when Slade was appointed that didn't go down too well with the non-chairman and manager

[youtube]Lgaoz9lJnOA[/youtube]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 33
buckstown
January 29, 2018, 1:12pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Gold Stars: 79
I think JF would argue he made his statement 2 weeks ago and it's now foot to the boards to get better players in before Wednesday.
The issue he has is that if they bomb out and we don't get a minimum of one win from Cheltenham and Yeovil games we're really in big trouble. All the evidence suggests continuity is the answer but once the water is lapping over your chin all logic goes out of the window. If he was going it should have been done after Christmas so I suspect that might explain the silence.
JF must have spent most of yesterday on the toilet because if he gets this (even more) wrong the consequences don't bear thinking about
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
Theimperialcoroner
January 29, 2018, 1:48pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,187
Gold Stars: 102
Will Meat be murder for us come the FGR game? I’m going to Yeovil tomorrow so please please please let me get what I want. But if after Killip has put his hand in glove and the ref has blown his whistle at the end of the game so I know it’s over, if we have lost I’ll be still ill. As for Slade, even Craig Shakespeare’s Sister could do a better job.
I could go on, but I’ve started something I couldn’t finish.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
chaos33
January 29, 2018, 2:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Very good.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
MuddyWaters
January 29, 2018, 5:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
I've never seen the relationship between the club and the fans at such a low ebb. It's sailing out to Denmark with the good ship 'Footballing Fortune' as I type.

To me, it's a no brainer. Unless Slade goes, ST sales will plummet - what are you going to do GTFC board?
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 33
1mickylyons
January 30, 2018, 6:59am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I've never seen the relationship between the club and the fans at such a low ebb. It's sailing out to Denmark with the good ship 'Footballing Fortune' as I type.

To me, it's a no brainer. Unless Slade goes, ST sales will plummet - what are you going to do GTFC board?

I can answer the later part of your question based on the previous 40 years GTFC will do nothing to boost ST sales.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
golfer
January 30, 2018, 8:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 115
[quote=

What can they do ?  It's the ludicrous contract that nobody believes Slade is on. We can't afford to sack him, and we can't afford to keep him. The future looks very rosey .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
rancido
January 30, 2018, 1:41pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Davec
The board must be hoping that he has a better 2nd season here like he did last time and at another couple of clubs he's been at where his teams have been in the play offs but what are the chances of that happening this time? Very slim I say.

But apart from us I don't believe he has finished the season in the play-offs with any of his previous clubs.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 33
FishOutOfWater
January 30, 2018, 1:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from rancido

But apart from us I don't believe he has finished the season in the play-offs with any of his previous clubs.

Took both Yeovil and Orient to the League 1 play off finals
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 31 - 33
1mickylyons
January 30, 2018, 2:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Took both Yeovil and Orient to the League 1 play off finals

And LOST
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 33
Civvy at last
January 30, 2018, 2:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,204
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from 1mickylyons

And LOST

I'd take that this season  

(As long as it's not to our Bell Ringing friends down the Road).  

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 33
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Well I wonder

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.