4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
January 29, 2018, 12:00pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
In the first season of his first spell, we finished 18th with 14 wins, which is slightly less than a third of all games.

We are currently 17th with 9 wins from 30, which again is slightly less than a third of all games won. If we win a third of our remaining games, we will finish about the same. Is that sacking territory? Looking at the past 9 games, then yes, it definitely is, but looking at the bigger picture over the entire season, it's currently borderline and i can understand the reluctance of the board to start all over yet again.

As chaos says, the next week is crucial. Two winnable games coming up and we need to win at least one of those as a minimum. If we don't, then the board have a massive decision, with less than a third of the season left and the window shut. It's not a decision i would like to be making.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 33
1mickylyons
January 29, 2018, 12:13pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from ginnywings
In the first season of his first spell, we finished 18th with 14 wins, which is slightly less than a third of all games.

We are currently 17th with 9 wins from 30, which again is slightly less than a third of all games won. If we win a third of our remaining games, we will finish about the same. Is that sacking territory? Looking at the past 9 games, then yes, it definitely is, but looking at the bigger picture over the entire season, it's currently borderline and i can understand the reluctance of the board to start all over yet again.

As chaos says, the next week is crucial. Two winnable games coming up and we need to win at least one of those as a minimum. If we don't, then the board have a massive decision, with less than a third of the season left and the window shut. It's not a decision i would like to be making.

I have said till I am blue in the face I am convinced Slade was brought in with the remit keep us treading water for 2-3 seasons til the new grounds sorted. That is only my opinion if that`s correct it makes the decision to employ him understandable he can do the firefighting job on a prudent budget and it`s unlikely you will go down on his watch? The stats you have provided back this up. However RS was unpopular with large swathes of the support previously and given we have done 6 years non league was on a hiding to nothing if things never went well having spouted about the Play Offs.RS strikes me of being thick skinned the fans wont get to him JF likewise seemingly has the ability to ignore his terrace/social media critics for the most part?I can`t see him getting sacked anytime soon if you look at Fenty`s previous sackings that have been actually football related but I hope to God I`m wrong and he pulls the trigger.Greavsie used to call the Villa Chairman Deadly Doug I wonder what he would call Mr Fenty?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 33
livosnose
January 29, 2018, 12:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,143
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from chaos33
I thought this was going to be a link to YouTube of the song 'well I wonder', by The Smiths, which is marginally more upbeat than this thread (not much in it though). Disappointed.

Can't say I see the need for any board announcements myself, nor any goading of JF,  and equally I can't say I understand the reference to The Trust copping a backlash??

Results this week are decisive IMO. Actions speak louder than words.

heaven knows im miserable now.......

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 33
GrimRob
January 29, 2018, 12:21pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ginnywings

I think it's an easy decision to make. It's going to receive almost universal support. It will cost the club a bit for sure but the cost of carrying on the path we are is much greater. The number of season ticket holders could well halve next year with RS in charge as people simply don't want to go to every game under his management. At least with someone new it would give the club a bit of a boost and may spark some interest. If we stay up next year a relegation battle next season looks on the cards unless something changes.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 33
lew chaterleys lover
January 29, 2018, 12:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from ginnywings

Yes it is a tough call. I am now really beginning to worry about next season, assuming we survive. Where is the positivity going to come from, if Slade and Fenty are still in place? How many season tickets would we sell and we would start next season on tenterhooks with fans ready to look for scapegoats after a couple of defeats.

If they stay the only way fans would rally round is if we made our intentions clear by some very very good signings, which is unlikely to happen.

I agree with your other posts about let us get safe this season first, but even the immediate future after survival  looks a bit glum. What a mess.  
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 33
ginnywings
January 29, 2018, 12:31pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
I do think that Slade was the wrong choice, because he will always be on a hiding to nothing. Unless he does really well, he will get constant stick. He will not get the same leeway from fans as another more popular manager, and would have to do beyond average just to get grudging praise. First time he was here, there was much disgruntlement in his first season. Even the second season when we were at the top most of the time, he was still not liked by many fans. The play off final and leaving the way he did will always be there as a stick to beat him with. It was always a big risk and the board should have known that and not gone there in my view.

However, he's what we have, and right now we need to stick together and get some wins. Nothing else matters at the moment. Whether bringing in a new guy now would change us for the better immediately is not certain. Other teams get the new manager bounce, but knowing Town, we would probably get worse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 33
1mickylyons
January 29, 2018, 12:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
This why honesty is the best policy people like me would have still been disgruntled at Slade`s appointment but would have seen the logic in his hiring and I would have backed Fenty for the good of the Club if his remit had been spelled out. The failure to say anything concrete means everyone jumped on RS and his let`s make the play offs quote.Now coupled with the awful football the results have also tailed off and quite rightly he is being slaughtered on Social Media by the disgruntled fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 33
1mickylyons
January 29, 2018, 12:40pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from livosnose

heaven knows im miserable now.......

They have a song title for everything Town related

barbarism begins at home (TO CHELTENHAM)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 33
denni266
January 29, 2018, 12:41pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +635
Gold Stars: 129
I still think we have some reasonable players here  dispite how our results are going,, The problem is Slade and his outdated tactics and the way he sets things up..  Body language of the players gives a lot away, no one seems interested in making runs,, finding space ,, backing up the attack. all these things are basics to football and are lacking.. Everyone from being a kid on the park . school playground wants to score and be involved and have the ball, where has this gone from our game.. only one answer  Slade  wont allow it or he will drop you for a lot lesser player / mate etc. He has taken the product that fans want off the shelf , Only the die hard are left and even they are walking away now .. Can you not see this Mr Fenty  Shall we make you an appointment at specksavers
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 33
chaos33
January 29, 2018, 12:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Maybe 'The Headmaster ritual' for RS is most appropriate. 😊

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Well I wonder

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.