3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Tommy
January 29, 2018, 2:14pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Wilkie is assistant manager. When Buckley was here he was on record as saying Arthur Mann’s job is running the reserves and doing whatever else AB told him. Wilkie has a good record as a coach both youth and first team. I would guess that the young player signings with Norwich connections are through him. He is smart enough and good with players but he is a coach not a manager and I doubt he would ever want to be a permanent first team manager. The way managers get treated at BP makes it a surprise anyone in their right mind would want to come here anyway. Those who knew Wilkie as a player will know that he always gave everything for the team.  I just cannot see the point of this thread at all. Just seems to be another stick to beat RS with.

Sensible post.

An assistant manager might have his own views and playing philosophy etc but is only going to coach the team in the way that the Manager wants them to be coached into playing. Whether Wilko's own style would be different to Slade's, who knows?

As far as criticism's of his recommendation of players, eg Sam Kelly who seemingly is deemed not good enough now.
1) At the end of the day that's Slade's call. If he wants to sign a player based on a recommendation that's his risk.
2) All Managers have mixed success rates with signing players. Even the best Manager's the country has ever seen signed plenty of bad players. Hurst did. Buckley did. It happens.
3) Wilko looks to be the link that brought Jaiyesimi in, who most of us would probably agree should have had a lot more game-time this season. So to have a balanced discussion about this its' important to mention that rather than just cherry pick the bad the points out.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 23
Garth
January 29, 2018, 2:27pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
it would appear to me that the number one voice in the club is Russel Slade followed closely by John Fenty with Wilkinson views ideas etc way down the pecking order, don`t think he would have been Slades choice and there lies the problem because Slades bombastic nature means Wilkinson`s views and opinions will not be noted.
A classic Grimsby scenario of Wilco going elsewhere and doing good
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 23
Cloudy
January 29, 2018, 2:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Garth
it would appear to me that the number one voice in the club is Russel Slade followed closely by John Fenty with Wilkinson views ideas etc way down the pecking order, don`t think he would have been Slades choice and there lies the problem because Slades bombastic nature means Wilkinson`s views and opinions will not be noted.
A classic Grimsby scenario of Wilco going elsewhere and doing good

I think you have the first two names very much the wrong way round!
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 23
Garth
January 29, 2018, 2:57pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from Cloudy

I think you have the first two names very much the wrong way round!

A matter of opinion, if you are correct Slade by now would have been history
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 23
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wilkinson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.