2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
January 26, 2018, 12:06pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,262
Gold Stars: 54
What is footballing fortune and how best to get it?

Cup runs and playing assets seem to be the answer?

Whilst we haven`t done well in the Cups since our return to the league we did manage to sell Bogle for good money.

I understand the Club don`t budget for Cup competitions which is a shrewd move but I would like to see them try and get better results and hit a windfall in the Seasons to come.We have gone out with a whimper on all fronts lets get that stopped.

The playing assets ala Bogle you snap a player up from lower league who comes good and you sell him on for a profit. This is a speculate to accumulate kind of game and we got Osborne and Jones and you would have thought we had a chance to make a profit on them sadly one has fell by the wayside the other currently not at his best but will come good.

You invest heavily in your own youth set up and try and sell one a season. I think the last player we had come through the youth set up to play more than a handful of games was Brad Wood and I don`t think we got a fee for him? We have sold players for decent money before and will do again but can we get a production line of talent going?

You can pick any number of former players out but to keep it simple I will stick with Bogle.Whilst a GY player scored goals won games and increased his value tenfold over 2 Seasons and helped tremendously in gaining us a Promotion. This must be the template for success for a Club at our level Slade keeps getting in these young attacking players which gives me hope he is on to this already BUT why loanees? If we get a loanee and he plays well we get some benefits in points and goals but NO transfer fee.

C`mon Town you want and need footballing fortune noow let`s see you set about grabbing it.UTM
Logged Online
Private Message
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 26, 2018, 12:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,514
Gold Stars: 64
I think another factor in respect of bringing players through is that any better than average prospects are quickly gobbled up by teams from Prem and Champ sides, seem to recall Reading took a lad from us two or three years back.

As well as scouting those leagues below us I also believe there are other options especially Scottish & Irish leagues to pick up some bargains.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
friskneymariner
January 26, 2018, 3:06pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
We used to get lots of players from Scottish clubs,to them Grimsby is like St Tropez.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
grimsby pete
January 26, 2018, 3:14pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from friskneymariner
We used to get lots of players from Scottish clubs,to them Grimsby is like St Tropez.

Matt Tees , Bobby Cumming, George Mclean  to name just a few of my favourite players.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
KingstonMariner
January 26, 2018, 5:58pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
What happened to the Scottish footballing talent conveyor belt? Seems to have died a death with heavy industry in Scotland. Don't know if that's just a coincidence. Or whether they've suffered by comparison to talent from other countries which has become much more freely available than in times gone by.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
jock dock tower
January 26, 2018, 6:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Quoted from friskneymariner

My bottom!

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
jock dock tower
January 26, 2018, 6:12pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Scottish talent is still plentiful in the non league game. There's also some genuine goalscoring talent going down the pro leagues, it's just that clubs don't want to take a punt on anyone who is untried higher up the league. At the Junior grade that I watch there are some wonderful players, some of whom could quite easily ply their trade in the non Premier divisions, but if they are at a decent paying club - and there aren't that many about to be fair - and have a decent job why would they want to give both those up to play for a mediocre league team?

It's exactly the same with our manager at Auchinleck Talbot, since he came to us in 2013 he's won 5 Super League titles and 5 Junior Cups, both the highest trophies that can be won at our game. Some league clubs have eyed him, but decent job at Talbot plus his own job - which I assume may also be pensionable - makes it a no brainer to stay where he is.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
MuddyWaters
January 26, 2018, 7:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,884
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from KingstonMariner
What happened to the Scottish footballing talent conveyor belt? Seems to have died a death with heavy industry in Scotland. Don't know if that's just a coincidence. Or whether they've suffered by comparison to talent from other countries which has become much more freely available than in times gone by.

Paul Dixon anyone?
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
mariner91
January 26, 2018, 7:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,255
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from jock dock tower
Scottish talent is still plentiful in the non league game. There's also some genuine goalscoring talent going down the pro leagues, it's just that clubs don't want to take a punt on anyone who is untried higher up the league. At the Junior grade that I watch there are some wonderful players, some of whom could quite easily ply their trade in the non Premier divisions, but if they are at a decent paying club - and there aren't that many about to be fair - and have a decent job why would they want to give both those up to play for a mediocre league team?

It's exactly the same with our manager at Auchinleck Talbot, since he came to us in 2013 he's won 5 Super League titles and 5 Junior Cups, both the highest trophies that can be won at our game. Some league clubs have eyed him, but decent job at Talbot plus his own job - which I assume may also be pensionable - makes it a no brainer to stay where he is.

Bearing in mind that Alan Power, who was a mediocre National League player at best for Lincoln, is currently starting most games for mid-table Kilmarnock, I'd say it's probably not worth our while to look at any division below the Scottish Premier. If they're not good enough to play in the Premier in Scotland then they're a long way short of the required standard for us.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
KingstonMariner
January 26, 2018, 7:35pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
And Craig Clay. not an ever present meme of the team went straight to the Scottish premier.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Footballing Fortune

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.