Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Week to go..
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 252 Guests

Week to go..

This thread currently has 4,735 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
scott_gtfc_89
January 25, 2018, 10:54am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +398
Gold Stars: 1
Till the transfer window slams shut and still no money spent like promised or even any statement from the manager or board saying targets have been missed or signings in the pipe line.

Just the board buying time in my eyes hoping results improve and everything gets forgotten.

Slade won’t be sacked this season even if we fall into relegation, joke from top to bottom this club

Sorry needed to rant just sick or every day passing till the window closes and nothing happening apart from some good players leaving or out on loan.

Come on town!
Logged Offline
Private Message
scott_gtfc_89
January 25, 2018, 10:55am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +398
‘RS: We’ve got enough about us to progress up the table, and that’s what we’ve got to do #GTFC’

Yeah okay if you say so baldy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
promotion plaice
January 25, 2018, 11:16am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

We'll find out in a few days if all the talk was bull won't we.
A think a few on here will have their say including me if the club don't take the present run of form seriously.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
grimsby pete
January 25, 2018, 11:23am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
A defeat at the weekend which is likely,

Plus other lower teams winning,

Then the club might wake up and realise we are in trouble.

It might be too late by then,

On the other hand we thrash the league leaders other teams below us lose and all is well,

I don't think, wake up non chairman Slade only wants to play one way and its not working.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
Marinerz93
January 25, 2018, 11:41am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
We have to take the board and Slade at their word, the statement will be weighted and measured in due course, the board and Slades credibility is in the balance.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
Ipswin
January 25, 2018, 11:41am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from scott_gtfc_89
Till the transfer window slams shut and still no money spent like promised or even any statement from the manager or board saying targets have been missed or signings in the pipe line.

Just the board buying time in my eyes hoping results improve and everything gets forgotten.

Slade won’t be sacked this season even if we fall into relegation, joke from top to bottom this club

Sorry needed to rant just sick or every day passing till the window closes and nothing happening apart from some good players leaving or out on loan.

Come on town!

The sooner the window closes the better - it is vital that the current idiots managing the club do not throw any more good money after bad. Save it Fenters so the new man has something to spend in the Summer (so we can get back into the league at the first attempt this time)

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 29
GrimRob
January 25, 2018, 1:11pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
12 points off the playoffs, wouldn't we be better saving our money for the summer now? I know we are not safe yet but it is still VERY unlikely we will even get close to going down.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 29
Father Christmas
January 25, 2018, 1:27pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -10
If they don’t spend now will there be extra money in the summer? Will January’s transfer funds be used to level out the loss in season ticket sales instead?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
denni266
January 25, 2018, 2:05pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +696
Gold Stars: 132
I doubt there will be extra money for the summer if we dont spend now. 1- Fenty will find some way to hold it back and two-- i wouldnt trust Slade with extra cash to spend on his poor footballing friends  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 29
MuddyWaters
January 25, 2018, 2:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
If Slade is here in the summer, Fenty will have such a revenue shortfall on ST sales that he would be wise to stuff some tenners in Marley's mattress.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
Mariner93er
January 25, 2018, 2:31pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from GrimRob
12 points off the playoffs, wouldn't we be better saving our money for the summer now? I know we are not safe yet but it is still VERY unlikely we will even get close to going down.

Is it that unlikely? If Forest Green win their game in hand, we're only 6 points from the second relegation spot. I doubt forest green will put together much of a run, but they wouldn't have to the way we're playing. And all those teams below us are scoring more than us, which gives them a better chance of picking up points than us. Ultimately, it only takes a forest green to string a couple of results together and us to continue this rut and we're in the midst of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 29
mariner91
January 25, 2018, 2:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,627
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from Mariner93er

Is it that unlikely? If Forest Green win their game in hand, we're only 6 points from the second relegation spot. I doubt forest green will put together much of a run, but they wouldn't have to the way we're playing. And all those teams below us are scoring more than us, which gives them a better chance of picking up points than us. Ultimately, it only takes a forest green to string a couple of results together and us to continue this rut and we're in the midst of it.

We'd be 8 points ahead of the second relegation spot because FGR would overtake Chesterfield.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 29
ginnywings
January 25, 2018, 4:27pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from mariner91

We'd be 8 points ahead of the second relegation spot because FGR would overtake Chesterfield.

Unless of course Chesterfield win on Saturday (home to Stevenage) and we lose to the league leaders. Both them and FGR have something we don't, namely a regular goalscorer, and both have better recent records than we do. Twice in the last 10 seasons, we have had runs of over 20 games winless. Six of those seasons were spent in non league, so if you just count league seasons, that's not good reading. It can happen, it has happened, and still fresh in my memory.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 29
londonmariner2
January 25, 2018, 4:39pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: -24
Maybe Fenty is waiting until Slades yearly contract is up before he sacks him,  Thats if he does have a yearly rolling contract
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 29
Abdul19
January 25, 2018, 4:49pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
Well if he does, he'll have a long wait.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 29
MuddyWaters
January 25, 2018, 4:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from londonmariner2
Maybe Fenty is waiting until Slades yearly contract is up before he sacks him,  Thats if he does have a yearly rolling contract

A rolling contract means that you have whatever its' duration to pay. I'm told Slade is on a longer, fixed term contract but no-one seems to know how long!  
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 29
Mrs Doyle
January 25, 2018, 6:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Think the clubs need to gid rid of bench warmers hemorrhaging money from club first either that or get a manager willing to give them a proper chance to see if they are any good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 29
GrimRob
January 25, 2018, 8:23pm

Quoted from Mariner93er

It's between 33/1 and 40/1, the bookies have worked it out. We are 150/1 to get promoted. We are almost guaranteed to have no meaningful football for months.

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/league-2/relegation

I'd say put the money aside and start planning now for August! Starting with the manager!

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 17 - 29
ginnywings
January 25, 2018, 8:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from GrimRob

It's between 33/1 and 40/1, the bookies have worked it out.
We are 150/1 to get promoted. We are almost guaranteed to have no meaningful football for months.

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/league-2/relegation

I'd say put the money aside and start planning now for August! Starting with the manager!

Based on what has happened so far. They have no idea what will happen from here on in. Those odds could drop dramatically, or rise, depending on future results.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 29
golfer
January 25, 2018, 8:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from MuddyWaters

A rolling contract means that you have whatever its' duration to pay. I'm told Slade is on a longer, fixed term contract but no-one seems to know how long!  

I keep telling you. I know it seems crazy but it's true.  £138K  for  4years. fixed term contract. Don't know what escape clauses if any but will try to find out without getting anybody in trouble.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 29
GrimRob
January 25, 2018, 8:44pm

Quoted from ginnywings

Based on what has happened so far. They have no idea what will happen from here on in. Those odds could drop dramatically, or rise, depending on future results.

They are not going to change much in the rest of the transfer window whatever happens so you can only make a decision on what you know now. Signing someone promising for this season and the whole of next season would be good business, as would offloading a bit of dead wood now. But it's throwing money down the drain signing someone for the remainder of the season and that's it.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 20 - 29
ackomariner
January 25, 2018, 9:06pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from golfer

I keep telling you. I know it seems crazy but it's true.  £138K  for  4years. fixed term contract. Don't know what escape clauses if any but will try to find out without getting anybody in trouble.

Six month rolling contact is what Slade is on. The same as Bignot and Hurst.
Like you, I won't be getting anyone into trouble, so won't be putting a name out there

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
ginnywings
January 25, 2018, 9:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from GrimRob

They are not going to change much in the rest of the transfer window whatever happens so you can only make a decision on what you know now. Signing someone promising for this season and the whole of next season would be good business, as would offloading a bit of dead wood now. But it's throwing money down the drain signing someone for the remainder of the season and that's it.

I'm not talking about signings and whether we should or shouldn't bring people in now or the summer. You keep maintaining that we won't be in relegation trouble and used the bookies odds to back that up. The bookies are basing that on past form and where we are in the league. We could still plummet, along with the odds, is my point
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
golfer
January 25, 2018, 9:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from ackomariner

Six month rolling contact is what Slade is on. The same as Bignot and Hurst.
Like you, I won't be getting anyone into trouble, so won't be putting a name out there

The difference is I CAN put a name and it's fact. If we get relegated the contract can be torn up by either party-so he stays for another 3 years if we stay up. Nothing in his contract about promotion or incentives.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
GrimRob
January 25, 2018, 10:42pm

Quoted from ginnywings

I'm not talking about signings and whether we should or shouldn't bring people in now or the summer. You keep maintaining that we won't be in relegation trouble and used the bookies odds to back that up. The bookies are basing that on past form and where we are in the league. We could still plummet, along with the odds, is my point

We all have a dread of getting sucked in, but you only have to look at the league table and the gap and say it's unlikely, albeit possible. We only have a finite amount of resources. We have to make plans on where and when to spend the money we have and I have said what I think and why. I have no influence on decisions other than the hope that my words will pass under the gaze of and strike an accord with someone who does!

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 24 - 29
ginnywings
January 25, 2018, 10:49pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from GrimRob

We all have a dread of getting sucked in, but you only have to look at the league table and the gap and say it's unlikely, albeit possible. We only have a finite amount of resources. We have to make plans on where and when to spend the money we have and I have said what I think and why. I have no influence on decisions other than the hope that my words will pass under the gaze of and strike an accord with someone who does!

I agree with all that, but i just think getting sucked into the relegation zone is slightly more of a possibility than you do. Time will tell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
promotion plaice
January 25, 2018, 10:53pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

Can anyone work out based on league 2 form over the last 6 games, if that was repeated for the rest of the season where we would finish ?
(hope that makes sense)

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
ginnywings
January 25, 2018, 11:23pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from promotion plaice

Can anyone work out based on league 2 form over the last 6 games, if that was repeated for the rest of the season where we would finish ?
(hope that makes sense)

We would get about 5 or 6 more points, so probably bottom 2.

Barnet have taken 1 from 6, we have 2, FGR 6 from 6 and Chesterfield 7.

Based on current form, we would go down no doubt but that can change quickly. It could alter completely in 2 or 3 games. We still have a lot of the bottom half to play yet, so a few 6 pointers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
friskneymariner
January 25, 2018, 11:26pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
If we are not drawn into this season's relegation battle my concern is for next season J.F. is so obdurate he will not learn the lessons from history and so is doomed to repeat them,remember we were relegated to the Conference after barely escaping the previous season.
This was not enough to mobilise J.F into action so why should next season be any different.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
ackomariner
February 11, 2018, 4:31pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from golfer

The difference is I CAN put a name and it's fact. If we get relegated the contract can be torn up by either party-so he stays for another 3 years if we stay up. Nothing in his contract about promotion or incentives.

Whoever gives you your information, they need the sack like Slade....

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Week to go..

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.