2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
January 16, 2018, 8:57am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
Well it`s been the exact opposite of last year for GTFC so far.We flogged Bogle made a mint and got in a heap of players which was quite exciting at the time and the possibilities seemed endless.This time around we have lost a fans favourite and a squad player for peanuts and our 3 most saleable assets on the playing staff remain albeit probably on a few teams radars.I have a feeling Slade may well be in the sell to buy position and if that`s right will we see a last day scramble for player ins/outs?
Logged Offline
Private Message
MarinerRob
January 16, 2018, 9:11am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,429
Gold Stars: 107
I wouldn't want Slade to spend a penny more or sign anyone with his track record.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
wiggers
January 16, 2018, 9:12am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +460
Gold Stars: 11
We shouldn’t be letting him sign anyone, he’s let some of our better players such as Pearson and Osbourne go and brought in crap. Why won’t he just except that we the fans of GTFC don’t won’t him at our club, he should resign now. We have gone backwards since promotion. Our promotion winning team is far superior to the one we have now. Slade can say what he likes, this is his team and it’s not good enough. Crowds are down, mood around the club is rock bottom, even if he wins a few games it changes nothing. No one wants him here. Leave so I can start enjoying my club again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
jimgtfc
January 16, 2018, 9:22am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,009
Gold Stars: 40
Just remind me who our 3 saleable assets are again? 🤔

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
1mickylyons
January 16, 2018, 9:23am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from jimgtfc
Just remind me who our 3 saleable assets are again? 🤔

Jones,Dembele,Mills
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
Maringer
January 16, 2018, 9:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Was Osborne really a fans' favourite? He made 20-odd appearances and scored 1 goal for us. Not really worthy of any great accolades with that record. Unfulfilled potential, I suppose.

As regards new signings, I'd imagine we'll be looking for an athletic striker of some sort and a bit more pace elsewhere in the team.

You could well be right about the need to sell before getting any new players in as the squad is still massive even after the two departures. If you count Jones, we've got 7 central midfielders on the books at the moment which is just madness! Partially down to Bignot's signings this time last year and partially down to Slade's inability to ship any of the other players out (though, if the players have decent contracts, why should they want to leave?).

Compare that to just 3 full-backs and 3 centre-halves. I suppose we have 4 wingers, but does Kelly really count? Woolford looks better to me when he's moved more centrally and can actually get involved a bit as opposed to achieving nothing on the wing but we really don't need someone else in the centre. Add this to a handful of strikers who aren't scoring and don't look like they will, and there are issues.

A bloated squad, badly lacking in pace and physicality. It will take a couple of transfer windows to sort out this mess, regardless of who is in charge.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
1mickylyons
January 16, 2018, 9:29am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Was Osborne really a fans' favourite? He made 20-odd appearances and scored 1 goal for us. Not really worthy of any great accolades with that record. Unfulfilled potential, I suppose.

As regards new signings, I'd imagine we'll be looking for an athletic striker of some sort and a bit more pace elsewhere in the team.

You could well be right about the need to sell before getting any new players in as the squad is still massive even after the two departures. If you count Jones, we've got 7 central midfielders on the books at the moment which is just madness! Partially down to Bignot's signings this time last year and partially down to Slade's inability to ship any of the other players out (though, if the players have decent contracts, why should they want to leave?).

Compare that to just 3 full-backs and 3 centre-halves. I suppose we have 4 wingers, but does Kelly really count? Woolford looks better to me when he's moved more centrally and can actually get involved a bit as opposed to achieving nothing on the wing but we really don't need someone else in the centre. Add this to a handful of strikers who aren't scoring and don't look like they will, and there are issues.

A bloated squad, badly lacking in pace and physicality. It will take a couple of transfer windows to sort out this mess, regardless of who is in charge.

Just going by the outrage at his departure last week personally I thought he looked a very capable player at Lg 2 level and on that basis was sorry to see him leave.CM for what it`s worth I would play Jones and Summerfield as my 2.We lack quality and pace throughout and like I say for me 11 of the current squad can go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
Quagmire
January 16, 2018, 9:35am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +929
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from Maringer

Why are we allowing the man who has created this mess even more freedom to ‘sort it out’?

He’s given 2 year contracts to a number of players who don’t make the starting 11, some of whom can’t even make the bench.

And yet for some people, he’s the right man to sort it - he’s the one who has created the mess in the first place!!

Slade Out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
headingly_mariner
January 16, 2018, 9:50am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
we need a proper centre forward who has real quality. We can't risk going down. I imagine we will see a couple of underwhelming loan signings though.
Since we've come back into the league we have gone back to the same mistakes that led to us dropping out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
wiggers
January 16, 2018, 10:03am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +460
Gold Stars: 11
He’s not going to bring in any decent signings, he had the whole of the summer to do that and managed one, an untried winger with no football League experience. It’s all smoke and mirrors from the club to buy him sometime.  Money available my bottom...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jan transfer window

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.