3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
friskneymariner
January 15, 2018, 4:22pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
Why waste all this time debating tactics just drop all the names in a hat and draw out 11 couldn't play any worse and think of the energy saved thinking about tactics,which seem to go out of the window after first 10 mins.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 20
mariner91
January 15, 2018, 4:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,248
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from friskneymariner
Why waste all this time debating tactics just drop all the names in a hat and draw out 11 couldn't play any worse and think of the energy saved thinking about tactics,which seem to go out of the window after first 10 mins.

Nah, Bignot tried that and it wasn't much better.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 20
MuddyWaters
January 15, 2018, 4:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Maringer
We haven't got the pace or athleticism in the full-backs to play with wing-backs.

Mills could probably do an OK job on the right, but Dixon or Davies on the left? No way.

If Clements was fit enough (and Matt's appeal was granted!), I'd try the following 4-2-3-1:

Killop
Mills  Clarke  Osborne  Davies
  Summerfield  Clements
Dembele  Jones  Jaiyesimi
                Matt

Effectively 4-2-4 in attack (yeah, I know I'm being a bit hopeful) and 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 when defending.

Failing that, a 4-3-1-2:

Killop
Mills  Clarke  Osborne  Davies
Summerfield  Rose  Clements
             Dembele
           Jones  Matt

Dembele interchangeable with Jaiyesimi in the role behind the front two depending on what you're looking for. Jaiyesimi is stronger and has more of the attributes of a third striker, whereas Dembele buzzing around in that space might be able to cause other problems.

So you're not bothering with Vernam then?
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 20
Maringer
January 15, 2018, 4:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Forgot about Vernam.

Possibly try him behind Jones and Matt in the 4-3-1-2? Alternatively, as one of the 3 behind Matt in a 4-2-3-1.

He looked to me more of an attacking midfielder than a striker from where he was collecting the ball, but that's perhaps down to our lack of possession in attacking areas.

Dembele looks like he could do with a rest as he's not done anything in recent games so wouldn't perhaps be a bad thing to put him on the bench and just have him as an option to change things around.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 20
RoboCod
January 15, 2018, 5:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from mariner91

Nah, Bignot tried that and it wasn't much better.

But still better

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 20
MuddyWaters
January 15, 2018, 5:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Maringer
Forgot about Vernam.

Possibly try him behind Jones and Matt in the 4-3-1-2? Alternatively, as one of the 3 behind Matt in a 4-2-3-1.

He looked to me more of an attacking midfielder than a striker from where he was collecting the ball, but that's perhaps down to our lack of possession in attacking areas.

Dembele looks like he could do with a rest as he's not done anything in recent games so wouldn't perhaps be a bad thing to put him on the bench and just have him as an option to change things around.

Nothing against Matt, he tries hard, but he seems to be an excuse to lump it high. I would much rather we looked to play a formation that suits our pacier players than lumping it to Matt.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 20
Maringer
January 15, 2018, 5:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Problem is that our pacier players aren't very pacy!

Don't think we've got a single player who can run away from opposition defenders if they manage to beat them.

I don't think we're good enough to play a passing game so we need a physical presence up front to play off to the best of our abilities. Matt's the best (only?) option we have in that role.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 20
Hagrid
January 15, 2018, 5:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,987
Gold Stars: 507
Mcalister will not play for us again
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 20
RichMariner
January 15, 2018, 5:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Davies got absolutely roasted playing wing back at Crewe last season.

When you're in a rut, all pundits and ex-players say time and again to play your best players in their best positions.

Our problem is that Slade doesn't seem to know who his best players are, or what their best positions are.

Realistically if players are fit and not suspended it needs to be something like:

Mckeown (Kean)
Mills Clarke Collins Davies
Dembele Summerfield Rose Jaiyesimi
Jones Matt (Vernon/Vernam/Hooper/Cardwell)

I notice that Jones, while currently out of form, is our top scorer with 6, and Rose has 5. That's where the goals are, but both were on the bench on Saturday.

Play them, give players chances to build partnerships and the confidence/results will come.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 18 - 20
Mariner_09
January 15, 2018, 7:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
What we’re proving here is that we don’t have enough players who are good enough. We’re short of a proper left back, a creative central midfielder, a genuine left sided winger who can perhaps whip in a decent cross and set play and a striker who can score. There were no end of crosses put in by Mills and Dembele on Saturday but there was nobody there!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 20
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › When nothing works

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.