Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Playing to the Conditions
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 165 Guests

Playing to the Conditions

This thread currently has 2,264 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
January 15, 2018, 10:10am
Guest User
So, Padraig Amond has highlighted that Newport County played to the conditions at Blundell Park, this being the negative atmosphere surrounding the place at the moment.

Very interesting to hear that teams come here, fully appraised of the unrest and ill feeling around the place, and seek to take advantage of that.

Clearly teams are going to realise all of this. More teams will come here looking to frustrate, which in turn gets the crowd on the back of the team and reverses any element of the home advantage. It's a fair bet that once this starts in a game, that there is plenty of verbal sledging being given to our players on the pitch too by their opponents, just to unsettle them and get under their skin a bit more.

It is going to take a huge improvement in performances and results to reverse this scenario now. Something is needed to quickly spark a reaction and to give the team an uplift. For me the only answer at this stage in the season, is a new management team. I cannot see any point at all in sticking with with what we have got and hoping for the best. All I can see is us slipping even more and ending up in a relegation battle.

Bigdog
January 15, 2018, 10:43am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
The players need someone new to give them a renewed boost in belief, commitment to the cause and confidence coupled with a new sense of direction. You can see in his interviews that it's never going to come from Slade..

If Fenty is waiting for that Braintree away redemption moment he got with Hurst, he'll be waiting forever and a day to get that from Slade..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
ginnywings
January 15, 2018, 10:47am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,097
Gold Stars: 548
Think this is being massively overplayed. Any manager would point out to their players that a team, any team, that hasn't won in 6, is barely scoring and has lost three in a row, will be low on confidence and the home fans will be brittle.

Of course, it makes much better reading if we say it's the fault of 'toxic' Grimsby fans as per usual.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
Mallyner
January 15, 2018, 11:35am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,507
Gold Stars: 23
I know Slade is expected to make an after match summing up, but no amount of "I thought we were unlucky to lose:" or "I thought we were the better team;" disguises the fact, that the opposition scored more goals than we did.

Football is a simple game really and no amount of 11 players defending a corner, 443, 424, 451 matters at the end of the day, if we don't score more than the opposition. And to win, you have to score at least 1 goal.

We seemed to be on a roll a few games back, but on those days, we just scored more or the same as the opposition and from what I saw, we were not usually the better team.

Amen.  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
1mickylyons
January 15, 2018, 11:44am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
I can`t see how the GY fans can be anything but negative really given the style of football.The Swindon game being the exact opposite of the norm when town came out to a fast tempo and even when losing largely kept control of the game. That was the yardstick for a home performance play like that the crowd are no problem at all they will back it to the hilt win lose or draw.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
Maringer
January 15, 2018, 12:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,382
Gold Stars: 184
We played some decent football during the first 15 or so minutes on Saturday when I thought Vernam did well upping the tempo and moving the ball on. Of course, they then scored with their first proper chance and that knocked the stuffing out of us.

Not convinced the squad has the ability or movement to play a passing game but we certainly don't have the personnel to play a long-ball game so I'm happy enough to see a bit more passing.

Main thing is we've just got to stop conceding such stupid soft goals because we're never going to outscore many teams and we're practically giving the opposition goals at the moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
MuddyWaters
January 15, 2018, 12:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
What I saw in Newport was a team closing us down in possession as quickly as they could and making more movement than we did. These are fundamentals that most teams that have come to BP seem to able to do better than us.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
headingly_mariner
January 15, 2018, 12:07pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,314
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ginnywings
Think this is being massively overplayed. Any manager would point out to their players that a team, any team, that hasn't won in 6, is barely scoring and has lost three in a row, will be low on confidence and the home fans will be brittle.

Of course, it makes much better reading if we say it's the fault of 'toxic' Grimsby fans as per usual.

True, I don't think our fans are particularly negative. I just think the situation on and off the pitch is massively negative.
I am not usually one for a sacking and I don't really think that Slade is the big problem here, but I can't see how the crowds will rise under him without an unrealistic improvement. The board's hand will be forced within the next two games and I think they will look very silly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
The_Chief
January 15, 2018, 12:51pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +302
Any team having come from behind to knock out a team 2 division higher than them in the FA Cup will come into their next game full of confidence and chomping at the bit.  On the other hand we were coming into the game on an horrendous run of form having lost 2-0 at home to the mighty Morecombe.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
moosey_club
January 15, 2018, 12:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,194
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from 120790
So, Padraig Amond has highlighted that Newport County played to the conditions at Blundell Park, this being the negative atmosphere surrounding the place at the moment.

Very interesting to hear that teams come here, fully appraised of the unrest and ill feeling around the place, and seek to take advantage of that.

Clearly teams are going to realise all of this. More teams will come here looking to frustrate, which in turn gets the crowd on the back of the team and reverses any element of the home advantage. It's a fair bet that once this starts in a game, that there is plenty of verbal sledging being given to our players on the pitch too by their opponents, just to unsettle them and get under their skin a bit more.

It is going to take a huge improvement in performances and results to reverse this scenario now. Something is needed to quickly spark a reaction and to give the team an uplift. For me the only answer at this stage in the season, is a new management team. I cannot see any point at all in sticking with with what we have got and hoping for the best. All I can see is us slipping even more and ending up in a relegation battle.

He said that but lets face it...they didnt play to the conditions did they ?  We definitely started the better, had the possession and were looking quite bright up until they came up our end and scored.  
They then benefited from the conditions as the crowd instantly turned but initially i thought they were poor and we looked promising.  

However doesnt mean to say that teams could come, park the bus, play a spoiling game and after 15 mins the crowd would undoubtedly start to grumble.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Playing to the Conditions

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.