HertsGTFC
January 14, 2018, 1:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,634
Gold Stars: 217
On the GET web site,

“It helped that there was a little bit of a negative atmosphere around the place, and we talked about that before the game”.

Says it all really, our current state gives visitors a boost.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Kris2
January 14, 2018, 1:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136
That's how it is. Every team knows they can come here and batter us this season. Not just the fans buy the players have low morale too. Nobody feels excited about a game or has any thought that we could win.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
Swansea_Mariner
January 14, 2018, 1:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
That to me signals the death throws for the current regime.

This suggests managers briefing that if they can hold us for long enough or get the noses in front that they can break us mentally and the crowd will turn.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
FishOutOfWater
January 14, 2018, 1:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
That to me signals the death throws for the current regime.

This suggests managers briefing that if they can hold us for long enough or get the noses in front that they can break us mentally and the crowd will turn.

Hardly a suggestion really is it Swansea Mariner…more a statement of fact

I could be wrong but the only time we’ve gone in front after falling behind was the Swindon match

Once the opposition take the lead generally that’s it …game over  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 13
Swansea_Mariner
January 14, 2018, 3:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Hardly a suggestion really is it Swansea Mariner…more a statement of fact

I could be wrong but the only time we’ve gone in front after falling behind was the Swindon match

Once the opposition take the lead generally that’s it …game over  

Yeah you're right, thing is without change there is no quick fix for this. A new manager would gain time space and leway that Slade will never be afforded now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
dapperz fun pub
January 14, 2018, 6:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
Forget negativity most other managers are aware we are very poor in lots of areas and set up accordingly, god help us if Barnet get a run going
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
promotion plaice
January 14, 2018, 11:31pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188

FAVOURITE FOOTBALLING MOMENT

Nothing will top Nathan Arnold making it 3-1 for Grimsby in the 2016 National League play-off against Forest Green at Wembley in stoppage time. If you can guarantee going up like that, I’d take that over winning the league. If you could bottle that feeling and sell it, you’d be a millionaire.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/spo.....mond-One-Eleven.html

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
toontown
January 15, 2018, 8:02am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
Out of interest how did the crowd react to Amond - did he get a round of applause or cheers? Good reception like Arnold?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
Grim74
January 15, 2018, 8:39am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Think we are missing the point when was the last time there wasn't a negative atmosphere around the place? I think our fans have become synonymous with the word negativity, even Hurst (think it was him) remarked he had trouble getting players here because of the fans negativity, even during the promotion season the place felt toxic at times.

Its easy to say it's the same at all grounds but I'm not sure I went to a couple of Tranmere home games last year and they are definitely a team that's a lot worse than we ever was whilst down there, anyway I watched two defeats but there was no way near the same venom from their fans.

I blame Buckley! we was absolutely spoiled under his management well his first two spells anyway, the football was absolutely amazing at times and a great time to be a fan, I know you shouldn't look back but it's so hard to sit there and watch the excrement we gets served up today, at the same time remembering just how good the football used to be.

But then thinking back to them great days I remember Buckley complaining about the fans and all the negativity, maybe it is just a Grimsby thing!

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
GrimRob
January 15, 2018, 10:16am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
I remember a lot of negativity even in the Buckley days. I think it's part of the Grimbarian mentality, some people are just born to moan and grumble!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 13
The Grim Reaper
January 15, 2018, 10:59am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -30
Approval: -533
Gold Stars: 1
Sums up our fans really.

Jesus wants me to be a sunbeam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 13
ginnywings
January 15, 2018, 11:02am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
It's difficult to know really because we have nothing to judge it against, seeing as it has been such a long time since we had much to enthuse about. Yeah, the results were generally good in non league, but most hated every minute of it and we should never have been in that league. It was mostly boring routine football. No manager has got a buzz about the place for years and years. We never came close to doing what Mansfield, Lincoln and some other teams did by storming the league. We spent a paltry few weeks at the top of the table in all the 6 years. It was always a lottery, season after season and it was only after the Braintree second leg that i actually felt we were going to get promoted. So it took 6 whole years to get that belief and it lasted for one game, which we won. We get back in the league and after a great start, it all falls apart, with managers coming and going, player coming and going, and once again it all looks a bit of a shambles. It's not a Grimsby thing, it's a Grimsby Town thing because we never have anything we can believe in and get behind.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 13
sydney
January 15, 2018, 12:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +994
Gold Stars: 2
Agree with that
I have a question?
What does Slade and Wilko do with the players in training all week??
As I see no difference at all in these last few weeks that would suggest things are going to change?
Feel v depressed been a town fan at the moment
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 13
Mrs Doyle
January 15, 2018, 2:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from toontown
Out of interest how did the crowd react to Amond - did he get a round of applause or cheers? Good reception like Arnold?

Sat in the main stand he got a decent reception no sledging or abuse most people were more bothered about our own problems and rightly so.

Slade got more abuse but even that was very muted you could hardly hear the Slade out chants from the Ponny so I don't think that rattled him at all.

To be honest I think the fans have gone past anger and just about had enough.  

That is the big worry we are accepting this dross as an inevitable slide towards non-league again.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Comment from Podge

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.