3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
January 14, 2018, 5:12pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from HertsGTFC
You could have said all that about Marcus Bignot to be honest.

MB was a good appointment, it didn't work out, but there was nothing wrong with the recruitment process on that occasion. New employees don't always work out as I am sure we've all experienced in our own positions, but there's only so much you can do before getting someone in the building and putting them behind a desk. Unless you are the SAS and even they probably make mistakes.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 25
GYinScuntland
January 14, 2018, 5:21pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,210
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
I don't wish to go off topic here, but I find this extremely offensive.  It was me and I already deleted that very post with regret. Words like 'cretin' – a congenital disease, 'spastic', 'imbecile' and any form of disease/mental disability-related inappropriate terms are unacceptable offensive words and shouldn't be used in todays society.

You can call me 'stupid' or 'idiot' I don't mind at all as I was, but I want you to change that word and if you don't I will report you to the administrators of this forum as I find it totally distasteful and offensive.

He did call you stupid, it's listed in the dictionary as a term for stupid person.
But don't let that stop you cherry picking the meaning that offends you most.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 14, 2018, 5:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
I don't wish to go off topic here, but I find this extremely offensive.  It was me and I already deleted that very post with regret. Words like 'cretin' – a congenital disease, 'spastic', 'imbecile' and any form of disease/mental disability-related inappropriate terms are unacceptable offensive words and shouldn't be used in todays society.

You can call me 'stupid' or 'idiot' I don't mind at all as I was, but I want you to change that word and if you don't I will report you to the administrators of this forum as I find it totally distasteful and offensive.

Ok mate. You are an idiot!

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
Father Christmas
January 14, 2018, 5:26pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -10
What a bellsniff ^^^
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
MuddyWaters
January 14, 2018, 5:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
The sort of managers mentioned  this thread do prove that there  are some good young choices out there if you care to look outside the stale merry-go-round of the league.

These are the types we should  be inviting to interview when Slade is eventually gone.

Maybe it's not the quality of the candidates but the people doing the interviewing?
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
ginnywings
January 14, 2018, 6:11pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Deleted it, I'll wind my neck back in and get my head out my bottom lol.  

Back on-topic. From certs for the National League drop last season to play-off contenders or better this season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Flynn_(footballer)

Newport manager Mike Flynn had no real mangerial experience before being appointed there and look how he has changed everything around.

Just what we need right now. A retired US army general. Bomb the opposition back to the stone age.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
HertsGTFC
January 14, 2018, 6:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from GrimRob

MB was a good appointment, it didn't work out, but there was nothing wrong with the recruitment process on that occasion. New employees don't always work out as I am sure we've all experienced in our own positions, but there's only so much you can do before getting someone in the building and putting them behind a desk. Unless you are the SAS and even they probably make mistakes.

Was he a good appointment not sure to be honest but did we exercise proper due diligence? If you went for a job leading an organisation nowadays you’d have an interview, not sure MB did or just “talks” either way did he talk about how he intended to dismantle a lot of Hursts good work and cast aside decent pros in Gowling ahead of fat psycho’s like Gunning.

You would also need to do a competency test either via a competency based interview or actual test so if we did that we might have seen that he knew nothing about financial planning and might even leave us with too many pros.

You might also have to do some form of behaviour analysis or work style analyser like a Berkman, that might have told us he had a massive ego and was possibly self obsessed.

Bignot was a bad appointment Rob in that he was the wrong fit for the job required at GTFC that time. That’s not his fault to be fair it just once again under lines JFs lack of savvy in terms of recruiting managers

So what does the job require now? Someone who can breathe some enthusiasm and energy into the place and ultimately on match day. When they come in though they’ll need to be pretty low key dare I say Hurst like as we don’t need another “gunna”  Additionally they’ll need a good network as there is no money to spend, but in reality they could make 3 or 4 decent signings and we could really move forward.

They’ll have to be able to manage and coach as you can’t afford Big Sam staff levels. Within that they’ll have to get a set of pros who look rudder less to play simple energetic football mainly by passing the ball on the deck.

I personally would also like to see someone who could engage the whole squad to want to play for him regardless of whether your starting or not.

So step forward (drum roll) ...........? I haven’t got a clue TBH and doubt JF has either

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
Garth
January 14, 2018, 7:21pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Left early (20 mins) for the second time at consecutive home matches in 48 years, freezing cold and bored to death at those abject performances, can`t say the players are not trying, its just not working and never will under the Slade way.
There are players in that team yesterday who would struggle to hold down a place in lower leagues than Town, we all know who they are,  and they are basically stealing a living at this level.
The difference between the dour Yorkshire man, to Slade and Bignot was Hurst said it as it was whereas the other two rely on  bull shite to wriggle there way out of failure, treating the fans as mushrooms.
Its not too late to salvage something from this fiasco, there`s a bad smell omitting from BP at the moment, the patient is dying and only major surgery with deep cuts can bring recovery.

Gown on, scrub up time to operate John, before its too late
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
KingstonMariner
January 14, 2018, 8:04pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Not a bad call Ascend in the OP. Probably too soon to tell on Elliott yet but that's probably the level we should be looking at or the one above.

Alan Dowson is doing a very good job at Hampton & Richmond in the Conference South. Took them over when on the verge of relegation from the Isthmian Premier, took them up as champs the following season, play offs in the Conference south last season and currently 20 games unbeaten and 2nd in the table. No sugar daddy and modest crowds. Not so young though.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
lew chaterleys lover
January 14, 2018, 8:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Was he a good appointment not sure to be honest but did we exercise proper due diligence? If you went for a job leading an organisation nowadays you’d have an interview, not sure MB did or just “talks” either way did he talk about how he intended to dismantle a lot of Hursts good work and cast aside decent pros in Gowling ahead of fat psycho’s like Gunning.

You would also need to do a competency test either via a competency based interview or actual test so if we did that we might have seen that he knew nothing about financial planning and might even leave us with too many pros.

You might also have to do some form of behaviour analysis or work style analyser like a Berkman, that might have told us he had a massive ego and was possibly self obsessed.

Bignot was a bad appointment Rob in that he was the wrong fit for the job required at GTFC that time. That’s not his fault to be fair it just once again under lines JFs lack of savvy in terms of recruiting managers

So what does the job require now? Someone who can breathe some enthusiasm and energy into the place and ultimately on match day. When they come in though they’ll need to be pretty low key dare I say Hurst like as we don’t need another “gunna”  Additionally they’ll need a good network as there is no money to spend, but in reality they could make 3 or 4 decent signings and we could really move forward.

They’ll have to be able to manage and coach as you can’t afford Big Sam staff levels. Within that they’ll have to get a set of pros who look rudder less to play simple energetic football mainly by passing the ball on the deck.

I personally would also like to see someone who could engage the whole squad to want to play for him regardless of whether your starting or not.

So step forward (drum roll) ...........? I haven’t got a clue TBH and doubt JF has either

I have said this before,but of all the managers Fenty has hired I have agreed with them all, bar Woods and Rodger.

I think the main problem is AFTER we have employed them - for some reason the managers we choose don't seem to develop an affinity with us. At a guess I would say the lack of professionalism throughout the club rubs off on the manager and in next to no time he seems to suffer the same lack of drive as the players. The minute a manager has any sort of success, Hurst, Slade (first time!) they want to be off. Not to some hotbed of football glory, but Yeovil and Shrewsbury. I wonder why that is? I will leave that question hanging...
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst & Cowley MK2 already in Lincolnshire

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.