Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst & Cowley MK2 already in Lincolnshire
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 319 Guests

Hurst & Cowley MK2 already in Lincolnshire

This thread currently has 5,225 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
January 14, 2018, 9:55am
Guest User
I was just thinking that there is an awful lot of similarity between the football management career paths and achievements between Paul Hurst and Danny Cowley.

Both started at low non-League level and gradually learned their trade. Both enjoyed success at low level and developed their skills, gaining promotions on route. Both then took different jobs in none league and still made progress.

So I got to thinking about what other young talented up and coming managers there are out there, doing things that mirror what the Cowleys are doing. Then I realised that there is one already on our doorstep, down the road at Boston United. Craig Elliott.

Their manager who recently left, Adam Murray, took Boston United into the depths of the relegation places in National League North. They couldn’t buy a win. Boston’s Chairman sacked him and then went in search of someone in the same moulded of Hurst and Cowley. He found this at Shaw Lane in the lower reaches of none league football.

Elliott has instantly transformed Boston into a team that has won six straight games, and is now daring to think that they might even make this season’s play offs.

Every step this guy has made so far, has been successful.

This guy is one to watch and I shall be interested to see how he continues to progress

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/w.....ambitious-767066.amp
HertsGTFC
January 14, 2018, 9:58am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,883
Gold Stars: 227
You could have said all that about Marcus Bignot to be honest.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
toontown
January 14, 2018, 10:00am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Way too early to put that record in the same bracket as the Cowleys when Lincoln picked him up. Even too early to be compared with Hursts record.

Not saying he couldn't be a good manager though
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 25
Bigdog
January 14, 2018, 10:05am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from 120790
I was just thinking that there is an awful lot of similarity between the football management career paths and achievements between Paul Hurst and Danny Cowley.

Both started at low non-League level and gradually learned their trade. Both enjoyed success at low level and developed their skills, gaining promotions on route. Both then took different jobs in none league and still made progress.

So I got to thinking about what other young talented up and coming managers there are out there, doing things that mirror what the Cowleys are doing. Then I realised that there is one already on our doorstep, down the road at Boston United. Craig Elliott.

Their manager who recently left, Adam Murray, took Boston United into the depths of the relegation places in National League North. They couldn’t buy a win. Boston’s Chairman sacked him and then went in search of someone in the same moulded of Hurst and Cowley. He found this at Shaw Lane in the lower reaches of none league football.

Elliott has instantly transformed Boston into a team that has won six straight games, and is now daring to think that they might even make this season’s play offs.

This guy is one to watch

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/w.....ambitious-767066.amp

Not a bad spot that Ascend. He's delivered every season for the past three or four seasons. The only note of caution would be that Shaw Lane Aquaforce were extremely well funded and had by far the biggest budget in the leagues they got promoted from..

Definitely worth considering though..

I think we have to look at a similar profile to his, maybe a level or so higher in non league, or look for an ambitious assistant from a club higher up the pyramid than us. We've got to unearth something different from the well-worn merry go round managers that go from club to club in the lower leagues..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
mariner91
January 14, 2018, 10:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,580
Gold Stars: 260
I agree that he is one to watch. His transformation of Boston has been remarkable as well as his success at Shaw Lane. He is a born winner. However, given he's only been at National League level  for a couple of months my concern would be that he's yet to be tested fully at anything approaching full time, professional football. We're also in need of an overhaul of the squad and I'd be worried that his knowledge of players may currently be too low down the pyramid for what we're needing. If he continues with his success at Boston and has a bit longer at that level, I agree he could be one for the future but I don't think he'd be what we need right now.

For what it's worth, I think Luke Garrard is doing a remarkable job at Boreham Wood. Only his second season in the job and only their third in the NL but they're 6th and only a point behind Pearson's Wrexham in 4th. They've also got a pretty good goal difference, the fourth best in the division. All this with attendances averaging 700 per game which is significantly less than Solihull are getting (the second lowest attendances). People were impressed with Bignot even though his Solihull were only 15th with a negative goal difference when he left. This chap is doing a much, much better job.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
Swansea_Mariner
January 14, 2018, 10:09am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,430
Gold Stars: 63
The sort of managers mentioned  this thread do prove that there  are some good young choices out there if you care to look outside the stale merry-go-round of the league.

These are the types we should  be inviting to interview when Slade is eventually gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 25
January 14, 2018, 10:18am
Guest User
Just to clarify though. I am only suggesting that he is one to keep tabs on for now. Not that he is ready now
Reply: 6 - 25
forza ivano
January 14, 2018, 11:38am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
Interesting, but there is another local ish manager who fits the bill even better. Have a look at Martin gray at York.did great things at darlo previously
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 14, 2018, 12:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
Better shout than whichever cretin said dave challinor

I was hoping to wake this morning with texts and news about slade leaving. And it says so much when the majority of threads on here, and so other social media streams are littered with anti slade and anti Fenty vitriol.

The club has become poisonous and it actually makes me wonder about who would actually want to manage while Fenty sits at the helm. The club isn't an attractive proposition at the moment and any up and coming manager would, in my opinion, have to have serious balls to come here. Are we reaching desperate times where no worthwhile candidate will be appointed and  that is the only reason why slade is still dictating his style of football (sic)

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
mariner91
January 14, 2018, 5:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,580
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
I don't wish to go off topic here, but I find this extremely offensive.  It was me and I already deleted that very post with regret. Words like 'cretin' – a congenital disease, 'spastic', 'imbecile' are unacceptable offensive words and shouldn't be used in todays society.

You can call be 'stupid' or 'idiot' I don't mind at all as I was, but I want you to change that word and if you don't I will report you to the administrators of this forum as I find it totally distasteful and offensive.

Why is imbecile offensive and unacceptable? It literally meant a person with a below average IQ so if that's the context in which it's used then what's the harm?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst & Cowley MK2 already in Lincolnshire

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.