4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
January 21, 2018, 5:36pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548

I am desperate for you to be right, but sometimes events can overtake you as Hartlepool found out last season.

I think we just need one really good result to lift the gloom, and lets hope it is next week.

As Ginny and others have said though, all of a sudden you can be sucked right into it even if we did play well yesterday. I am pleased we played well of course, but suddenly you can be under intense pressure to get a result and then anything can happen.

I think the board showed how naive they are in their statement of support only  a couple of weeks ago more or less saying we were safe. Since then despite performances being improved we are much nearer the wrong end with a combination of our results and other clubs strengthening their squads.

This is my worry. If you find yourself at the wrong end of the table from early on, you have a fighting chance to do something about it. If you drift into this position over a period of time after a relatively decent start to the season, it can catch you unawares, and by the time you realise the danger, it can be too late. Panic sets in and pressure builds when games start to run out. Stop it before it gets too late is the way, but i fear the club haven't taken our position seriously enough. Slade is still talking like it's a blip and we will rise up the league. Still talking play offs last week. It is not a blip, it's 8 games and the little run we had previously only saw us narrowly beat the current bottom two sides. The Swindon game aside, i am seeing too many similarities with our demise to non league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 36
HertsGTFC
January 21, 2018, 5:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,878
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from RichMariner
Say Fenty sold up now.

Say he waived those benign loans, and found a suitable buyer to take over.

How would his reign be remembered?

In a nutshell, he'd be remembered for presiding over the darkest time in the club's history, when we reached our lowest ebb with six seasons in non-league.

He'd be remembered for taking the club on a downward trajectory over 17 years at the helm - with a couple of seasons near the end (2015/16 and 2016/17) that bucked the downward trend... before it showed signs of starting again in 2017/18.

Yes, we were in a financial mess when the ITV Digital collapsed. He stepped in and steadied the ship while things had to suffer on the pitch.

But all that was dealt with while we were a FL club. We continued to overspend and mismanage squads with poor managerial appointments that ultimately cost us our place in the FL.

If he stays, we'll continue making the same mistakes. The new ground is not the answer if we continue supporting the wrong managers and if we continue making PR gaffes.

We've backed the wrong managers and then failed to back the one that was worth fighting for once another club showed interest.

It has been 17 years of mostly bad decisions and I don't see anything to suggest that theme will change.

It's best he goes now before he really does do irreversible damage to our proud club.

He won't get those benign loans back because he'll keep putting his hand in his pocket to give managers like Slade the money to buy more players who don't cut it.

So he needs to accept his losses, do the decent thing and work hard to find someone who can come in, take control and run this club sustainably without asking them to cover the cost of his mistakes.

When he came in he said he "always wanted to own a football club" shame that was before the days of Fifa Ultimate Team. I'd agree with all of the above but it feels like he has stopped putting money in to back the manager hence our average squad with no pace or credible striker/finisher.  

He's been (was) an enthusiastic amateur with cash back then it used to work the game has changed though and you need cash and professionalism, we lack both at the moment which could ultimately lead to another drop to the abyss.    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 36
arryarryarry
January 21, 2018, 6:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Cloudy
I saw more than enough yesterday for me to believe we wont go down. I know that goes against the majority on here but thats the way I see it

I still don't accept that that is the case.

Whilst yesterday we played very well especially the first half I would temper that with the fact that Colchester were utter crap until their manager sussed out the way we were set up, changed it for the start of the second half and really looked dangerous especially down our left hand side.

Yes we could have been 2 or 3 up at half time but we weren't and still managed to come away without keeping a clean sheet.

At the end of the day we slipped closer to a relegation spot.

I'm not expecting much from the Luton game but the following few games are vital to our League survival.

Private Message
Reply: 22 - 36
Marinerz93
January 21, 2018, 6:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Cloudy
I saw more than enough yesterday for me to believe we wont go down. I know that goes against the majority on here but thats the way I see it

I don't see enough points for safety for you to feel that optimism with our points per game. We need a few wins before we can breathe comfortably because at the minute we are sinking into the shite with only a straw to breathe through and the fans want more air.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 36
Cloudy
January 21, 2018, 6:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from arryarryarry

You dont accept that I believe we wont go down??

You dont have to!!
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 36
HertsGTFC
January 21, 2018, 6:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,878
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from arryarryarry

Whilst yesterday we played very well especially the first half I would temper that with the fact that Colchester were utter crap until their manager sussed out the way we were set up, changed it for the start of the second half and really looked dangerous especially down our left hand side.

Yes we could have been 2 or 3 up at half time but we weren't and still managed to come away without keeping a clean sheet.

At the end of the day we slipped closer to a relegation spot.

I'm not expecting much from the Luton game but the following few games are vital to our League survival.

This is where my mind is. Yes we passed through them to a degree for the goal but a better side than Colchester would have pushed up on Davis and Dixon and cut off any width.

Far to often did we go sideways and the middle 3 of Summerfield, Berret and Rose lacked a ball carrier and to be fair in the last 20 it was even looked like Summers was carrying Rose for a bit. I’m amazed that DJ didn’t get on either instead of Woolford or in the middle 3.

The work rate & application of the players suggests we will be safe the lack of a finisher, pace and someone attacking to partner the ever busy Summerfield in the engine room indicates it will be a nervous run in.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 36
arryarryarry
January 21, 2018, 6:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from HertsGTFC

This is where my mind is. Yes we passed through them to a degree for the goal but a better side than Colchester would have pushed up on Davis and Dixon and cut off any width.

Far to often did we go sideways and the middle 3 of Summerfield, Berret and Rose lacked a ball carrier and to be fair in the last 20 it was even looked like Summers was carrying Rose for a bit. I’m amazed that DJ didn’t get on either instead of Woolford or in the middle 3.

The work rate & application of the players suggests we will be safe the lack of a finisher, pace and someone attacking to partner the ever busy Summerfield in the engine room indicates it will be a nervous run in.

We were saying that Rose looked fooked, not sure if he is still suffering from an injury but he does seem to struggle to last 90 minutes.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 36
Ipswin
January 21, 2018, 6:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from promotion plaice

Makes you wonder where we would be now if the Americans had taken over.

In a better place probably and not fearing relegation.

You don't believe they actually existed do you?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 36
Bigdog
January 21, 2018, 6:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from ginnywings

This is my worry. If you find yourself at the wrong end of the table from early on, you have a fighting chance to do something about it. If you drift into this position over a period of time after a relatively decent start to the season, it can catch you unawares, and by the time you realise the danger, it can be too late. Panic sets in and pressure builds when games start to run out. Stop it before it gets too late is the way, but i fear the club haven't taken our position seriously enough. Slade is still talking like it's a blip and we will rise up the league. Still talking play offs last week. It is not a blip, it's 8 games and the little run we had previously only saw us narrowly beat the current bottom two sides. The Swindon game aside, i am seeing too many similarities with our demise to non league.

The thing is the panic that's setting in now was so avoidable. Along with a few others on here, I was posting warnings way back.. and quite a few that weren't, were being extremely loyal or hanging on to hope rather than expectation..

March - Severe misgivings about appointing a divisive manager on the downslide
July - Severe misgivings about the quality of signings, the pace of the squad
August - Severe misgivings about the balance of the squad and panic buys at the end of the window
September - Predicted an 18th-22nd finish
October - Predicted a relegation battle

That's back then. It hasn't needed the past eight games..

As a fan, I take no pleasure in making perceived "negative" comments. I just post what I believe in at that moment in time. I really wish that we were playing great football and romping the league. Hate having to be eternally disappointed and frustrated being a Town fan..

My point is.. there is not enough footballing knowledge in the boardroom to be proactive when the writing's on the wall early doors.. and worse still, they're not putting in enough personal resources season by season to make up for their lack of knowledge or acumen.. And while we're floundering, they're still sitting on their hands..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 36
friskneymariner
January 21, 2018, 6:57pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
My concern is that this is history repeating itself and if we do avoid relegation on the last day and Fenty is carried shoulder high round Forest Green's ground (shudder) we will not learn the lessons and be relegated next year.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 36
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Board backing Slade/Wilko....week one update

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.