This thread currently has 6,560 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
January 21, 2018, 2:27pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

Makes you wonder where we would be now if the Americans had taken over.

In a better place probably and not fearing relegation.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 36
Mrs Doyle
January 21, 2018, 2:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
If we go down the fan base will dwindle further and I think this time Fenty will lose those fans for good.

Being a big fish in a small pond might have worked a few year ago but times have moved on a lot of established ex-league teams are down there now.

Lincoln have proved if you get your act together you can be very competitive in this division and challenge for at least a playoff place.

Even the most optimistic fans will be thinking we are now looking at a survival scenario rather than a playoff chance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 36
January 21, 2018, 2:37pm
Guest User
Quoted from promotion plaice

Makes you wonder where we would be now if the Americans had taken over.

In a better place probably and not fearing relegation.

Yeah but at least the board listens to the fans on such things as Bra Gate, B teams and the clubs managemeant. At least we don't get called bullies ( for having a different opinion to someone) and get told to shut up by this board as well. Thank god the current gtfc board lets us have a voice...
Reply: 12 - 36
lew chaterleys lover
January 21, 2018, 2:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,661
Gold Stars: 234
As me and a fellow poster on here have regularly said - if you try to stand still in pro football you go backwards.

Fenty has tried to stand still and guess what? We are going backwards.

He tried to stand still when we lost league status last time, and we went backwards.

If he hasn't got the money for new investment, or cannot or will not work with others that have, then he should move aside.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 36
MuddyWaters
January 21, 2018, 4:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
As me and a fellow poster on here have regularly said - if you try to stand still in pro football you go backwards.

Fenty has tried to stand still and guess what? We are going backwards.

He tried to stand still when we lost league status last time, and we went backwards.

If he hasn't got the money for new investment, or cannot or will not work with others that have, then he should move aside.

Same as in any business, if you carry on doing what you are doing, you continue to get what you've got. This penny- rich, pound-thick mentality will not cut it, and, as you say LCL, he should move aside.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 36
Cloudy
January 21, 2018, 4:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
I saw more than enough yesterday for me to believe we wont go down. I know that goes against the majority on here but thats the way I see it
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 36
lew chaterleys lover
January 21, 2018, 4:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy
I saw more than enough yesterday for me to believe we wont go down. I know that goes against the majority on here but thats the way I see it

I am desperate for you to be right, but sometimes events can overtake you as Hartlepool found out last season.

I think we just need one really good result to lift the gloom, and lets hope it is next week.

As Ginny and others have said though, all of a sudden you can be sucked right into it even if we did play well yesterday. I am pleased we played well of course, but suddenly you can be under intense pressure to get a result and then anything can happen.

I think the board showed how naive they are in their statement of support only  a couple of weeks ago more or less saying we were safe. Since then despite performances being improved we are much nearer the wrong end with a combination of our results and other clubs strengthening their squads.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 36
RichMariner
January 21, 2018, 4:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,133
Gold Stars: 209
Say Fenty sold up now.

Say he waived those benign loans, and found a suitable buyer to take over.

How would his reign be remembered?

In a nutshell, he'd be remembered for presiding over the darkest time in the club's history, when we reached our lowest ebb with six seasons in non-league.

He'd be remembered for taking the club on a downward trajectory over 17 years at the helm - with a couple of seasons near the end (2015/16 and 2016/17) that bucked the downward trend... before it showed signs of starting again in 2017/18.

Yes, we were in a financial mess when the ITV Digital collapsed. He stepped in and steadied the ship while things had to suffer on the pitch.

But all that was dealt with while we were a FL club. We continued to overspend and mismanage squads with poor managerial appointments that ultimately cost us our place in the FL.

If he stays, we'll continue making the same mistakes. The new ground is not the answer if we continue supporting the wrong managers and if we continue making PR gaffes.

We've backed the wrong managers and then failed to back the one that was worth fighting for once another club showed interest.

It has been 17 years of mostly bad decisions and I don't see anything to suggest that theme will change.

It's best he goes now before he really does do irreversible damage to our proud club.

He won't get those benign loans back because he'll keep putting his hand in his pocket to give managers like Slade the money to buy more players who don't cut it.

So he needs to accept his losses, do the decent thing and work hard to find someone who can come in, take control and run this club sustainably without asking them to cover the cost of his mistakes.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 17 - 36
MuddyWaters
January 21, 2018, 4:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from RichMariner
Say Fenty sold up now.

In a nutshell, he'd be remembered for presiding over the darkest time in the club's history, when we reached our lowest ebb with six seasons in non-league.

He'd be remembered for taking the club on a downward trajectory over 17 years at the helm - with a couple of seasons near the end (2015/16 and 2016/17) that bucked the downward trend... before it showed signs of starting again in 2017/18.

Yes, we were in a financial mess when the ITV Digital collapsed. He stepped in and steadied the ship while things had to suffer on the pitch.

But all that was dealt with while we were a FL club. We continued to overspend and mismanage squads with poor managerial appointments that ultimately cost us our place in the FL.

If he stays, we'll continue making the same mistakes. The new ground is not the answer if we continue supporting the wrong managers and if we continue making PR gaffes.

We've backed the wrong managers and then failed to back the one that was worth fighting for once another club showed interest.

It has been 17 years of mostly bad decisions and I don't see anything to suggest that theme will change.

It's best he goes now before he really does do irreversible damage to our proud club.

He won't get those benign loans back because he'll keep putting his hand in his pocket to give managers like Slade the money to buy more players who don't cut it.

So he needs to accept his losses, do the decent thing and work hard to find someone who can come in, take control and run this club sustainably without asking them to cover the cost of his mistakes.

I think he wanted to be the local man who 'saved' the club who then discovered that it wasn't just as simple as that.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 36
lew chaterleys lover
January 21, 2018, 4:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner
Say Fenty sold up now.

He should...be he won't. Ego too big to walk away now and he wants his money back, sometime, somehow. The money he has put in is the cost of 17 years of doing as he wished and it should be written off but as much as I agree with you, it is unlikely to ever happen.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 36
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Board backing Slade/Wilko....week one update

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.