This thread currently has 3,447 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
MarinersOnTheUp
January 13, 2018, 6:54pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +22 / -2
Approval: +484
Slade needs to go, no question about it.

Thing is with the current board in charge we’ll continue to go backwards, I do not trust them one bit to hire another manager capable of delivering what we expect and I definitely have no confidence in their ability to run the club at the top. Fenty and board are the root cause of our problems. Their total contempt and lack of respect for fans continues to astound me, the decision making is laughable, the board lie to us and frankly they’re holding us back. If Fenty sacked slade but stayed himself, in six months time we’d be in the same situation again. The only way this club is going to get anywhere is a complete change from top to bottom.

As for Marley, he should’ve been sacked the moment he told a fan to shut up.

Thing with Fenty and Slade, particularly after the way slade was brought in and the fact that they’re friends, I feel that if one goes the other has too. There really is no other option.

Even if by some miricle the club started to be run properly at boardroom level tomorrow, it wouldn’t work because there’s been a complete and irreprable breakdown in trust between the club and it’s fans - the only way to repair this would be if the board stepped down.

Attendances would go up if the board left, making us more than sustainable. Even without the Bogle money we’d have broken even last financial year.

Everything about GTFC is an unmitigated disaster.

Time for change, from the top down because at the minute, as a friend who supports another club who have had their own disasters recently pointed out to me said, Grimsby Town look like how they did not so long back, like a club that’s about to die unless something changes sooner rather than later.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
fleabag1970
January 13, 2018, 6:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
Ascend and the fishy 5 will be awakening ... ready to hit you with some stats

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 26
ginnywings
January 13, 2018, 7:04pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,097
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from fleabag1970
Ascend and the fishy 5 will be awakening ... ready to hit you with some stats

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. The Fishy 5 are supposed to be against the board, not for it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 26
dapperz fun pub
January 13, 2018, 7:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,878
Gold Stars: 82
It’s time for change throughout the club is dying before our very eyes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 26
fleabag1970
January 13, 2018, 7:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
I've counted 5 pro fenty posters this week that are argueing the case for the ailing board

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 26
Mighty_Mariner
January 13, 2018, 7:13pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
When did Martley tell a fan to shut up?

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 26
Mighty_Mariner
January 13, 2018, 7:15pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Hasn't Fenty said numerous times he would step aside if somebody were to come along and take the club on? So my question would be - if you got your wish and Fenty were to leave the club tomorrow, who would come in and inject the required funds into the club and run it day to day?

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 26
Sussexmariner
January 13, 2018, 7:29pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +618
Gold Stars: 18
This “Fenty out” thing is getting tiresome

Fenty wants to leave, he’s had enough of it all, but NO ONE want to Buy GTFC at this moment in time.

If you had £2 million in The club town would you just happily walk away and say goodbye to that kind of money? no you wouldn’t. What he needs to do is get rid of Russell Slade tonight, invest more money and hopefully he will be able to sell the club

Are we any closer to getting promoted since Hurst has been here? No

Has he been given time to achieve promotion by the chairman and fans? Yes

Hurst out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 26
TAGG
January 13, 2018, 7:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,973
Gold Stars: 123
Mr Fenty take that 200k you pocketed and pay Slade and his side kick off and then just leave the club before you totally kill it.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 26
MarinersOnTheUp
January 13, 2018, 8:01pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
Hasn't Fenty said numerous times he would step aside if somebody were to come along and take the club on? So my question would be - if you got your wish and Fenty were to leave the club tomorrow, who would come in and inject the required funds into the club and run it day to day?

As I said if you’d read my post properly, we’d have broken even last financial year even without the Bogle money. The club is actually sustainable.

Anyway, on Monday on sports talk they mentioned that we have had plenty of people wanting to invest, they just can’t work with the club. We’d be fine. Also, am I right on thinking 200k was actually taken out of the club last season? That means we’re not being bankrolled as some believe.

Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
When did Martley tell a fan to shut up?

At the fans forum.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 26
davmariner
January 13, 2018, 8:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,910
Gold Stars: 78
Fenty,

You and Slade are taking this club back to the Conference. Do us all a favour and get rid of Slade and at least give us a fighting chance of staying up.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 26
jonnyboy82
January 13, 2018, 8:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Thing is appointing Russell slade has made this club go back five years.

For the life of me I can't see why fenty appointed him, he was on a downward spiral and his career was in freefall.

Football has moved on from being the headmaster with a projector in a classroom.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 26
MarinersOnTheUp
January 13, 2018, 8:11pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from jonnyboy82
For the life of me I can't see why fenty appointed him, he was on a downward spiral and his career was in freefall

Slade and Fenty are close friends...

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 26
Marinerz93
January 13, 2018, 8:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Fenty, what are you about, because all I can see is utter failure, what is going to be your legacy, what will people remember you for, isn't it about time you and the other abject failures brought someone in to make a success out of the club.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
jonnyboy82
January 13, 2018, 8:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from MarinersOnTheUp

Slade and Fenty are close friends...

Never employ friends , never ends well.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 26
arryarryarry
January 13, 2018, 8:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Sussexmariner

Fenty wants to leave, he’s had enough of it all, but NO ONE want to Buy GTFC at this moment in time.

If you had £2 million in The club town would you just happily walk away and say goodbye to that kind of money? no you wouldn’t. What he needs to do is get rid of Russell Slade tonight, invest more money and hopefully he will be able to sell the club

I've said it before and will say it again, decisions by Fenty and the board took this club out of the Football League and cost the club somewhere in the region of £3,000,000. They don't deserve a penny back.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
MarinerDevil
January 13, 2018, 8:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,706
Gold Stars: 80
The club is sustainable for now, but nobody can know what will happen in the months and years to come.  I've seen people make the argument that if the board walked tomorrow there'd be 5000 at the next game.  They might be right, but that number would only last until we have another significant dry spell on the pitch, which is inevitable.

We have about 2.5k hardcore who will always be here, but to be competitive we'd rely heavily on attracting casual fans to maintain our budget.  We can never be sure that those casuals will stay around for good.  Having a benefactor like Fenty in place - and I'm certainly no Fenty fan, by the way - at least ensures that losses can be dealt with in the short term.

Also, people should be glad that we paid him £200k back last year.  With every penny he's paid back, the reality of him selling up creeps nearer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 26
headingly_mariner
January 13, 2018, 8:22pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,314
Gold Stars: 113

Is he ever likely to get it back?

That money is a major stumbling block in taking the club forward. If he really wants to leave he'd write it off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 26
paramariner
January 13, 2018, 8:37pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +192
Gold Stars: 8

Think your right, but John could maybe restore a little faith if he was to get his cheque book out and actually BUY a quality finisher instead of going for freebies. PLEASE!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 26
chaos33
January 13, 2018, 8:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
You know what - this club had a quality finisher 2 seasons ago. We loved him and he loved us. He played against us today, and the poor decisions of people who run GTFC allowed him to slip away from us. Our current manager, of course, doesn't think he's the 'type of player he's looking for'. Yeah, why is that? Because he scores goals? For me, this encapsulates every sad aspect of what has happened to us since we returned to the league. A player truly loved, and who did us proud, playing against us, whilst we muddle onwards with a bunch of so called strikers who don't have that relationship with the fans, and who are less of a goal threat as an aggregated group than Podge is on his own.

For me, this absolutely captures how we've gone backwards since our promotion and killed off any momentum we might have had through mismanagement.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 26
ginnywings
January 13, 2018, 9:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from chaos33
You know what - this club had a quality finisher 2 seasons ago. We loved him and he loved us. He played against us today, and the poor decisions of people who run GTFC allowed him to slip away from us. Our current manager, of course, doesn't think he's the 'type of player he's looking for'. Yeah, why is that? Because he scores goals? For me, this encapsulates every sad aspect of what has happened to us since we returned to the league. A player truly loved, and who did us proud, playing against us, whilst we muddle onwards with a bunch of so called strikers who don't have that relationship with the fans, and who are less of a goal threat as an aggregated group than Podge is on his own.

For me, this absolutely captures how we've gone backwards since our promotion and killed off any momentum we might have had through mismanagement.

Yep. One of the very few happy memories i have of Town in the last few years is hundreds of fans on the Wembley concourse before and at half time of the game singing the "we got Amond" song over and over while pints of beer were flying everywhere. Think that's the last time the fans were truly united behind the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 26
denni266
January 13, 2018, 9:33pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +695
Gold Stars: 132
IMO You could bet your last quid that if someone came along and  said here john , here is 2 mill plus another half a mil   . and we will buy your shares for face value.. he would find an excuse not to accept
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 26
January 13, 2018, 9:43pm
Guest User
Quoted from denni266
IMO You could bet your last quid that if someone came along and  said here john , here is 2 mill plus another half a mil   . and we will buy your shares for face value.. he would find an excuse not to accept

Like the American firm you mean? Actually silly me, the reason we didn't want the Americans in is because Mr Fenty values the fans opinions on the board which we wouldn't get with the Americans. Compared to now were our views and concerns are valued.
Reply: 22 - 26
ginnywings
January 13, 2018, 9:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from denni266

I'm betting he would accept in a shot.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 26
Marinerz93
January 13, 2018, 9:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from ginnywings

I'm betting he would accept in a shot.

I would wager it would come with a covenant, like director for life, as alleged in a previous take over bid.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 26
Mariner_09
January 13, 2018, 10:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
We’ll never know the truth about what happened between Podge and Hurst but we do know he was offered a 2.5 year deal in Jan and then rejected it. We then know, he wasn’t nearly as effective in 2nd half of the season in the Conference when people sussed him out and his record against table topping teams was poor. 1 penalty against the top 5. We then know he was offered a one year contract and didn’t like it so sodded off to Hartlepool. Personally, I feel in retrospect that Podge and Omar with Arnold and Toto still here would have made us a very prominent side in L2 and maybe, just maybe if JF had given Hurst what he wanted (a bigger budget and that S&C coach) then we’d have signed better players with the Bogle money and be in a much better position

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 26
MarinersOnTheUp
January 13, 2018, 10:46pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Never employ friends , never ends well.

Definitely.

Although I was trying to imply that if Slade wasn’t friends with Fenty then Bignot may not have been sacked and Slade may not have been hired the next day...

Maybe 😬

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 26
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fenty Out

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.