mariner91
January 15, 2018, 8:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,577
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Definitely not a Slade fan but I honestly thought he was a safe pair of hands in that relegation wouldn’t be on the agenda. I thought the contacts he should have in the game would be enough to pick up the right type of players for even a play off push .  Clearly very wrong the only thing he seems good at is spinning well at least attempting to spin away every dreadful performance to the media.  

This. Listen, it was obvious that Bignot was not up to the job and some of the murmurings about what was going on behind the scenes was worrying to say the least. He's proving exactly how good a manager he is at Chester this season i.e not very. Slade would never have been my first choice but given the timing of his appointment, with just a few games of the season left, it was sensible to get someone in as soon as possible to allow them to judge who in the squad they wanted to keep and who they didn't. I also thought he'd be a safe pair of hands and given that it was clear we'd already squandered any momentum we may have had from promotion, I thought that might be okay for a season or two to allow us to establish ourselves as a FL club again. Evidently, I was optimistic with those ambitions and he's clearly been a dreadful appointment but I still stand by the fact that it was not a mistake to sack the useless clown Bignot.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 46
MuddyWaters
January 15, 2018, 8:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
This is one of my favourite quote from one of the Slade threads, when early on someone said they're not going to watch GTFC while Slade is there.

What's a REAL fan anyway? We're all real fans otherwise we wouldn't spend our evenings tapping a keyboard debating our club.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 46
ginnywings
January 15, 2018, 9:36pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
I didn't want Slade back and didn't like him last time he was here. However, i did say at the time that he was about as good a manager as we could hope for in our position given his experience and the level he has worked at in the past. I accepted it and bought a season ticket, then thought as long as he gets us competitive, i can put up with his long ball rubbish for now. He seemed a safe pair of hands.

I still don't like him (as a manager, not a person) but i think the club have nailed their colours to the mast and they know how we feel, so it's pointless to keep going on about it in thread after thread. I would actually prefer it if he turned us around and made it to the end of the season, because that means we have pulled well clear of trouble. Bringing in a new manager has as much risk attached as keeping him here at this stage of the season.

We were promised a player clear out and some more quality. I'd prefer to see that in this window. We may see some going out, but whether we see any come in before the end of Jan isn't certain i don't think. I'll just wait and see what happens.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 46
lew chaterleys lover
January 15, 2018, 9:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from MuddyWaters

What's a REAL fan anyway? We're all real fans otherwise we wouldn't spend our evenings tapping a keyboard debating our club.

I suppose the definition of a real fan is a difficult one. However, I have to say I am surprised at how many people who post on here do not go to the games.

I will temper that by saying people can obviously choose to go or not, and financial, location, age  and other factors will deter some, but I am  quite shocked how many stop going after a poor run, or a manager they don't like, or the style of football, or whatever.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 46
MuddyWaters
January 15, 2018, 10:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235

I suppose the definition of a real fan is a difficult one. However, I have to say I am surprised at how many people who post on here do not go to the games.

I will temper that by saying people can obviously choose to go or not, and financial, location, age  and other factors will deter some, but I am  quite shocked how many stop going after a poor run, or a manager they don't like, or the style of football, or whatever.

I always said I would go less when we were non-league and I did, but only a ST is keeping me there at present.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 46
lukeo
January 16, 2018, 7:11am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,318
Gold Stars: 140
I was on the fence with Slade, his first season with us although we finished mid table we played some decent football. 2nd season we just missed out on play offs but played hoof ball, the way he left was wrong for whatever reasons. So at first I was willing to give him a chance but now they just all need to go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 46
1mickylyons
January 16, 2018, 8:13am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Definitely not a Slade fan but I honestly thought he was a safe pair of hands in that relegation wouldn’t be on the agenda. I thought the contacts he should have in the game would be enough to pick up the right type of players for even a play off push .  Clearly very wrong the only thing he seems good at is spinning well at least attempting to spin away every dreadful performance to the media.  

Yep my view was similar though I was a bit more scathing due to my unforgiving nature over the Cardiff debacle.When in the Summer there was talk of players like Whittingham coming in I nearly caved and got a Season ticket.We then won 1-3 at Chesterfield and I was proper rocking but alas the Coventry home defeat settled my nerves and my judgement has proved sound. SLADE OUT
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Slade's contempt for the fans

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.