This thread currently has 8,867 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
LH
January 13, 2018, 10:37pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
I’ve given myself some time to calm down/recover before posting my thoughts tonight.

Football wise: We started well and looked bright for ten minutes but only really dominated possession and territory stats in that time.  Vernam looks like he’s up for it and that will be useful in the next few games because I fear we’re going to extend the run rather than end it. Other than a handful of exceptions I’m seeing startling resemblances to the 2008-2010 Town squad and I am concerned that the powers that be haven’t learned anything since.

I’m not even mad with the current state the club is in - I’m further on that that and I’m depressed with it all. I feel that the fanbase as a whole has probably skipped a couple of stages too. Usually there is a fairly prolonged period of attempted mediation of the “X out” crowd by those willing to give him a chance but I don’t think we’ve really had one this time. I felt after the Morecambe match that we were on the brink of the support tipping over the edge but they’ve finally gone against Mr Slade now.

This bad run couldn’t have really come at a worse time. Had it been a month ago we had a realistic chance that decisive action could have had a positive impact as we had a full window to work with but any action now will surely end in disaster. I can’t imagine many managers or players will want to come here for anything other than a quick buck either which is exactly how we found ourselves in non-league previously.

That said I can’t see any other option than getting rid of Slade. We have a squad capable of putting a reasonable run together probably finishing midtable. If we can finish the season in this league we can get rid of the abundance of dead wood we appear to acquired and we can start again with a new man in the summer.

I’ve reined in my thoughts on the ownership of the club on this post but I urge the board to take a day tomorrow to really think about the message you sent out to the fans and media last week. Backing Slade could have very serious repercussions for the club in the short term which as you well know could be very damaging for the long term. You (and it appears only you) have not learned your lesson from our last spell in the league. Take decisive action immediately.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 48
arryarryarry
January 13, 2018, 11:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from LH
I’ve given myself some time to calm down/recover before posting my thoughts tonight.

Football wise: We started well and looked bright for ten minutes but only really dominated possession and territory stats in that time.  Vernam looks like he’s up for it and that will be useful in the next few games because I fear we’re going to extend the run rather than end it. Other than a handful of exceptions I’m seeing startling resemblances to the 2008-2010 Town squad and I am concerned that the powers that be haven’t learned anything since.

I’m not even mad with the current state the club is in - I’m further on that that and I’m depressed with it all. I feel that the fanbase as a whole has probably skipped a couple of stages too. Usually there is a fairly prolonged period of attempted mediation of the “X out” crowd by those willing to give him a chance but I don’t think we’ve really had one this time. I felt after the Morecambe match that we were on the brink of the support tipping over the edge but they’ve finally gone against Mr Slade now.

This bad run couldn’t have really come at a worse time. Had it been a month ago we had a realistic chance that decisive action could have had a positive impact as we had a full window to work with but any action now will surely end in disaster. I can’t imagine many managers or players will want to come here for anything other than a quick buck either which is exactly how we found ourselves in non-league previously.

That said I can’t see any other option than getting rid of Slade. We have a squad capable of putting a reasonable run together probably finishing midtable. If we can finish the season in this league we can get rid of the abundance of dead wood we appear to acquired and we can start again with a new man in the summer.

I’ve reined in my thoughts on the ownership of the club on this post but I urge the board to take a day tomorrow to really think about the message you sent out to the fans and media last week. Backing Slade could have very serious repercussions for the club in the short term which as you well know could be very damaging for the long term. You (and it appears only you) have not learned your lesson from our last spell in the league. Take decisive action immediately.

I would tend to agree with most of that, the only part I may disagree with is the quality of the squad, I think with McKeown out neither of the other two options are filling me with confidence.

Defensively we look poor, midfield isn't creating much and the less said about our forwards the better.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 48
LH
January 13, 2018, 11:28pm

I’d agree with you on keepers (Kean was a keeper at Wednesday wasn’t he?!) and whilst we’ve been poor defensively the squad as a whole was within one win of the play offs under a month ago. We are still a fair way off the relegation places. Everything about the squad screams midtable at me but recent form is VERY worrrying.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 48
golfer
January 14, 2018, 7:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,376
Gold Stars: 112
It seems pretty obvious to me that the only thing keeping Slade and Tonto from being sacked are their contract clauses. We must have put all our eggs in one basket when we [the board ?] took them on. The board say they give Slade their backing-what else can they say-they will realise their mistakes but their hands are tied. The only thing I can think of is for a certain person who put us in this mess to put the recently repaid £200k back and try to use this in negotiations for a pay off.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 48
Mrs Doyle
January 14, 2018, 7:57am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from LH
I’d agree with you on keepers (Kean was a keeper at Wednesday wasn’t he?!) and whilst we’ve been poor defensively the squad as a whole was within one win of the play offs under a month ago. We are still a fair way off the relegation places. Everything about the squad screams midtable at me but recent form is VERY worrrying.

REALLY?? Think you better look at the table again we have Luton next at home can you honestly see where our next win is coming from??

This is not knee-jerk but reality we are in free fall Slade is in panic mode looking for defending rather than attacking to save his friggin job.

WTF has Woolford got over Slade he does nothing D.J. is twice the player he is.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 48
Bigdog
January 14, 2018, 9:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from golfer
It seems pretty obvious to me that the only thing keeping Slade and Tonto from being sacked are their contract clauses. We must have put all our eggs in one basket when we [the board ?] took them on. The board say they give Slade their backing-what else can they say-they will realise their mistakes but their hands are tied. The only thing I can think of is for a certain person who put us in this mess to put the recently repaid £200k back and try to use this in negotiations for a pay off.  

I can see it costing JF that little bit extra by convincing RS to agree to a "mutual consent" sacking in a vain attempt to spare the board's blushes..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 48
marinette
January 14, 2018, 10:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from ginnywings
Nice to see you posting marinette. Been a while.

Thanks Ginny.  I'm out of the habit, but very worried about the situation at BP now.

Private Message
Reply: 46 - 48
rancido
January 14, 2018, 10:57am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 92
Certainly our defence is no where near as tight as it was under Hurst. Since the summer we have constantly leaked goals and I wonder if this is no coincidence since Clarke joined us. I'm not saying he is a bad defender but I would have expected somebody with his experience to be more commanding and dominant at the back.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 48
LH
January 14, 2018, 11:20am

Quoted from Mrs Doyle

REALLY?? Think you better look at the table again we have Luton next at home can you honestly see where our next win is coming from??

This is not knee-jerk but reality we are in free fall Slade is in panic mode looking for defending rather than attacking to save his friggin job.

WTF has Woolford got over Slade he does nothing D.J. is twice the player he is.

I said recent form was worrying and I didn’t say that the squad is good enough to make a late surge for automatic promotion. Up to now we have averaged 1.21 points per game that projected over a season is 55 points. Midtable is therefore very achieveable for this squad. Is the manager good enough to get it out of them? On this season’s points haul you’d have to say yes but I do think the tide has turned against him and I don’t think he’s got the ability to turn this form around.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.