Hagrid
January 13, 2018, 6:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,384
Gold Stars: 527
Quoted from TAGG

Just out of interest who gave this a red cross??

Probably John! 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 48
TAGG
January 13, 2018, 6:59pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,969
Gold Stars: 123
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Everybody has summed it up Vernam looks a bit of a player skillful full of energy had a good debut

Vernon looked a lot better and was very unlucky not to score his effort was superbly tipped around the post by their excellent keeper whose superb long throw out led to the second goal.

Now the bad bit sorry but Woolford is awful how the hell he starts in preference to D.J. only Slade knows.

Our keeper... where to start his kicking is the worst I have ever seen. He has no confidence in the box a pass back to him led to a hastily half heated slice that went nowhere or a miss hit the ball along the floor ensuing panic in the defence, he is quite simply RUBBISH.

Saw Macca hobbling about near the dugout he as nothing to fear but will be out for some time. Killip is ten times better than Kean.

The only time we looked threatening was when we had Matt and Jasime up front we should have started with this eleven Slade not when we were two down ffs.

You talk about needing time, unfortunately we are heading out of the league on this form with gates around a thousand less than we had in non league.

How long can we sustain this hemorrhage of income?  Something as to give.

I don't get on Vernon's back but the chance he had after 5 mins he should have scored.
From where I sit in the lower the angle was great to see his effort. He could have passed it underneath the keeper a d that was just one option. Could have been so different if he had put that away 😥😥

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 48
Hagrid
January 13, 2018, 7:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,384
Gold Stars: 527
Quoted from TAGG

I don't get on Vernon's back but the chance he had after 5 mins he should have scored.
From where I sit in the lower the angle was great to see his effort. He could have passed it underneath the keeper a d that was just one option. Could have been so different if he had put that away 😥😥

Im pretty sure the flag was up anyway
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 48
lee65
January 13, 2018, 7:03pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,480
Gold Stars: 10
Yes, keeper took a free kick
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 48
HertsGTFC
January 13, 2018, 7:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
Today Newport had better pace, strength, organisation, movement, finishing, confidence, belief, passing, ball retention and tempo but apart from that it was a pretty even game. One that Slade will ultimately try and convince us all by Monday was decided by a deflected goal and a sending off when we where in the accendency - deluded !, remember they had 3 cleared off the line.

So no real blame attached to the players they some can’t help being crap or picked ahead of better players on the bench.

Thought we started ok but after the 1st goal the “we can’t score 1 so we’ll never score 2 mentality kicked in” and it was uphill form there. BTW their 7 should have never had that much time to score.

After half time more of the same, the 2nd came after looking inevitable and even after our goal I still didn’t believe we could snatch a point in all honesty, we just have no structure and our movement is shocking

New lad looked ok but we are still not getting into the box enough and our final ball still looks panic stricken.

So why Vernon & Woolford ahead of DJ & Matt, don’t get it. Why at 2 - 0 did we not go 3 at the back and push another one up front? Why did the new lad end up playing wide left for the last 10 mins. All of witch illustrates Slade’s ineptitude.

Slade said “we looked better in the final 3rd this week” cobblers IMHO this is the worst attack we have had since before we went down to tin pot.

Can’t see where the next point is coming from never mind the next win.

All I can say is we are lucky we got points on the board before Christmas and both FGR and Barnet are at the moment (window’s not closed yet) worse teams than us otherwise based upon the last few games we’d be planning for the National League.

He and Wilco need to go now!!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 48
cardiffmariner
January 13, 2018, 7:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +1,308
Gold Stars: 24
Quoted from ginnywings
A team with confidence playing a team with none and of course, when you are down, things go against you. We started ok and the new lad looks a footballer, but their first real shot flies in and it's an uphill battle once again with Newport mostly controlling things without too many panics. We then get a golden chance to equalise, fluff that, and less than 60 seconds later, we are 2 down to a deflected shot. Typical of a struggling side. When we did get one back, with a scrappy goal, we had 18 mins with the injury time to get an equaliser, but Newport just managed the game to it's end without us really getting at them.

Something needs to happen sharpish, or we are going to get dragged into the mire. We have that look about us that i have seen all too often and usually ends in tears.

Not as bad as the Morecambe game and our goal probably took the sting out of the fans a bit, or it may have got ugly. Don't know what the answer is but we are now only 11 off bottom, and the gap is closing, slowly but surely.

I'm listening to Slade right now. We were not the better side Russ. Get your head out of your ar$e

Not sure I agree with this and think it lets us off the hook too easily and neatly.

Their first goal was a consequence of very poor defending by ourselves initially followed by a good shot that maybe our keeper should have had covered. No luck there.

Their second came when we failed to convert a chance and within 10 seconds they had scored. An excellent throw out, leading to good and forward thinking link up between two of their players and a deflected shot (granted, lucky) from a player who drove forward with intent. To me, their second goal summed up the difference between the term teams - and I mean the speed, purpose and incisiveness of their attack rather than the lucky deflection.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 48
AndyGTFC
January 13, 2018, 7:33pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +795
Gold Stars: 5
That was two 10 minutes spells of decent play sandwiched between 70 minutes of shite. This side is seriously in trouble at the minute. It takes all our effort to even score a goal, we can't keep a clean sheet and look like conceding every time average sides have an attack.

Slade is completely turning fans off so this can't go on much longer. Even if we did manage to stay up, who the hell is going to want to buy a season ticket to watch this?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 48
ginnywings
January 13, 2018, 7:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from cardiffmariner

Not sure I agree with this and think it lets us off the hook too easily and neatly.

Their first goal was a consequence of very poor defending by ourselves initially followed by a good shot that maybe our keeper should have had covered. No luck there.

Their second came when we failed to convert a chance and within 10 seconds they had scored. An excellent throw out, leading to good and forward thinking link up between two of their players and a deflected shot (granted, lucky) from a player who drove forward with intent. To me, their second goal summed up the difference between the term teams - and I mean the speed, purpose and incisiveness of their attack rather than the lucky deflection.

Totally agree and you do make your own luck. The first goal he had too much space to shoot and the second shouldn't have happened as we switched off after nearly equalising. Things go against when you are down because pressure and lack of confidence makes you do things incorrectly, and you end up getting punished for them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 48
Tommy
January 13, 2018, 7:48pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
First 15 minutes we were quite positive - moved the ball quickly, looked sharp and played some decent football.
Then we conceded. And again it looked like we capitulated mentally. That's a worrying thing for me, we don't look like we can cope, psychologically, when something goes wrong. We don't react, don't recover from it, and don't find a way to deal with it.

For the rest of the 1st half we were sluggish, didn't move the ball quick enough, didn't work hard enough to show for the ball, and resorted to longer balls.

2nd half Newport just played out time fairly comfortably. Had a bit of a go and the game started to be played in their half even if we weren't creating loads of chances. Then Matt got sent off and killed off any hope we might have had for what was 8 minutes of injury time.

Kean - don't know why he was becoming a target for the fans, has the same weaknesses as Macca but don't see everyone getting on his back. Poor distribution and a bit indecisive when ball in the air in the box.

Mills - decent game. Cleared 2 or 3 off the line.
Osbourne - did what was expected of him. Maybe some clumsy distribution.
Clarke - again, did what was expected of him defensively, same as K.Osbourne.
Davies - Didn't do a lot wrong.

Dembele - poor
Summerfield - tried to get us going and looked to play forward or switch it wide when possible. Couple of diagonal's into the box didn't come off.
Berrett - poor. gives away too many free kicks, takes too many touches, anonymous for large parts.
Woolford - some neat touches and interplay during the 1st 15mins when we had movement off the ball. Anonymous from then on and wasted a couple of opportunities to cross.

Verman - bright enough debut under the circumstances I thought. looked to get on the ball and was comfortable in possession under pressure. Not shy of letting shots go.
Vernon - Should've scored 2nd half. Other than a couple of lay-offs I don't think he contributed enough over 90 minutes though and severley limits our attacking threat.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 48
moosey_club
January 13, 2018, 7:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,199
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from headingly_mariner
What was on that banner that about 10 stewards tried to take off an old bloke?

No Commitment
No Desire

The word is that the stewards had to confiscate it because..........it wasnt fire retardent !!  Honest.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.