5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
headingly_mariner
January 13, 2018, 5:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
2nd best other than the first 10 minutes. They had 3 cleared off the line 1st half. After that it was a shower. We are in real danger of being relegated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 48
Madeleymariner
January 13, 2018, 5:59pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
Hull are trying to sign a winger can we convince them to sign Woolford.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 48
Grimbiggs
January 13, 2018, 6:02pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
We started fairly brightly first 10 mins, the new man Vernam looked lively and tried to create openings.Vernon and Woolford having scoring opportunities. However after that Newport started to come into the game and scored an excellent goal, Amond creating the assist, but we still defended it badly. A couple of goal-line clearances and we were lucky to go in only 1-0 down. After half-time Vernon had a great chance to equalise but for an excellent save from their keeper. They then broke immediately and scored with an unfortunate deflection off Osborne. The game was then finished, and as they backed off and defended well, we had alot of pressure, and although we scored, we never looked like getting or deserving an equaliser. No tactics again, we just pushed Osborne up as a last resort, and punted balls into the box. I fail to see what Woolford brings to the teams, and we look desperate at the minute. The new lad did OK on his debut, but for all his energy, he was having to come back all the time to receive the ball, and he's another who's not going to solve our goalscoring problems. The games don't get any easier, and the rest of the season looks like an uphill struggle....UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 48
oldun
January 13, 2018, 6:12pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Beaten by a better team who were physically stronger and quicker than us. Podge set up the first which was a good strike from the edge of the box. We cleared a couple off the line. Second goal was a deflection off Osborne which flew in. Matt scored a solo scrambled effort before being sent off for elbowing. Vernam had a decent debut showed flashes, clearly used to playing the ball to feet. Kean in goal is a worry, looks like an accident waiting to happen, missed a couple of catches and his kicking was awful. Once in the second half Jaisimi worked his nuts off to track back and win the ball back, laid it back to Kean who smashed it into the stand, not the first time either. Newport dealt comfortably with our late pressure. At the minute we are in a rut and once we concede any confidence disappears. On this form it is going to be a long slog to get to safety. Does not seem to matter who plays the outcome is the same. Finally, yet again I fail to see what Woolford is doing in the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 48
headingly_mariner
January 13, 2018, 6:14pm

Vodka Drinker
What was on that banner that about 10 stewards tried to take off an old bloke?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 48
barralad
January 13, 2018, 6:18pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from headingly_mariner
What was on that banner that about 10 stewards tried to take off an old bloke?

It was close to us but all I could read was "No Commitment"

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 48
headingly_mariner
January 13, 2018, 6:20pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from barralad

It was close to us but all I could read was "No Commitment"

That was all I could make out although I'm sure it had no swearing on it. How embarrassing that they would try to censor the frustrated fans that continue to turn up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 48
barralad
January 13, 2018, 6:48pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Pretty predictable really. We started brightly and played some decent football for the first 10. In that first ten though was a warning when Kean made a hash of gathering the ball but got away with it and then misjudged a high ball completely with Town very fortunate that Davis was there to whack it clear..eventually. From then on the loanee keeper was up against it. The fans in the Pontoon were on his back and it was clear that the defence didn't have one ounce of trust in him. He got a fair amount of criticism for the first goal (around the fact that apparently a keeper should never be beaten at the near post) but I thought it was a very good finish. I do wonder though whether those who criticised Killip after basically one mistake against Crewe might be reflecting that they were a little harsh. Had it not been for Davis's immaculate positioning on the line and I think Osborne's physical fitness when he took a full bloodied, goal bound effort in the head and never flinched Newport would have been out of sight by half time.
Second half we looked like giving it a go. I "get" the criticism of Vernon but he did absolutely everything right with the effort their keeper tipped magnificently round the post. Less than a minute later it's in our net after what looked like a wicked deflection. Loudest cheer of the day was when Woolford departed. Matt and D.J. at least gave them something to think about and Dembele awoke from a 60 minute "nap" but the lack of confidence showed time after time. Good persistence from the big fellah for his goal. Newport were holding/pulling Town's players all over in the box without any form of punishment from the referee who then found his mojo to send off Matt. The sending off effectively killed the game even with eight minutes time added on.
The new lad showed glimpses of what makes him so highly thought of at Derby and I'll be disappointed if he doesn't start at Colchester next Saturday.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 48
Mrs Doyle
January 13, 2018, 6:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Everybody has summed it up Vernam looks a bit of a player skillful full of energy had a good debut

Vernon looked a lot better and was very unlucky not to score his effort was superbly tipped around the post by their excellent keeper whose superb long throw out led to the second goal.

Now the bad bit sorry but Woolford is awful how the hell he starts in preference to D.J. only Slade knows.

Our keeper... where to start his kicking is the worst I have ever seen. He has no confidence in the box a pass back to him led to a hastily half heated slice that went nowhere or a miss hit the ball along the floor ensuing panic in the defence, he is quite simply RUBBISH.

Saw Macca hobbling about near the dugout he as nothing to fear but will be out for some time. Killip is ten times better than Kean.

The only time we looked threatening was when we had Matt and Jasime up front we should have started with this eleven Slade not when we were two down ffs.

You talk about needing time, unfortunately we are heading out of the league on this form with gates around a thousand less than we had in non league.

How long can we sustain this hemorrhage of income?  Something as to give.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 48
TAGG
January 13, 2018, 6:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Quoted from Hagrid
Does not matter anymore. This cannot go on. Fenty i am
Begging, please get wilko and slade their p45 and them go yourself. It must stop

Just out of interest who gave this a red cross??

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.