3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
dicko995
January 11, 2018, 3:31pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -259
Gold Stars: 21
Looking at the transfer market, I have a gut feeling we are missing out on the players we need. Over the last couple of days,Port Vale,Notts County, Shrewsbury and Scunthorpe have snapped up what I would call gems, mainly on loan deals. There has been no news on any interest from the beloved lords of our club except about Codey from Truro, whom many clubs are interested in. Were nearly half way through the market deadline and all we have is a goalkeeper and an 'apprentice' striker. As the days go by, the games go by, and yes, I do realise it takes time for the phone calls to come in from agents etc, but I would really like to see players being signed up sooner than later, as we all know that as the deadline approaches,all that is left is the dregs, lets hope we get some gems soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
friskneymariner
January 11, 2018, 3:33pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Nothing new  there ,expect an influx on the 29th Jan.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
Gaffer58
January 11, 2018, 4:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
Just a maybe here, but maybe clubs don't want to send their decent young players on loan to us because of the style of football Slade plays.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
Mrs Doyle
January 11, 2018, 4:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from dicko995
Looking at the transfer market, I have a gut feeling we are missing out on the players we need. Over the last couple of days,Port Vale,Notts County, Shrewsbury and Scunthorpe have snapped up what I would call gems, mainly on loan deals. There has been no news on any interest from the beloved lords of our club except about Codey from Truro, whom many clubs are interested in. Were nearly half way through the market deadline and all we have is a goalkeeper and an 'apprentice' striker. As the days go by, the games go by, and yes, I do realise it takes time for the phone calls to come in from agents etc, but I would really like to see players being signed up sooner than later, as we all know that as the deadline approaches,all that is left is the dregs, lets hope we get some gems soon.

Bignot brought plenty of players in early doors in hindsight it never really worked.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
MuddyWaters
January 11, 2018, 4:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Bignot brought plenty of players in early doors in hindsight it never really worked.

To be fair, he wasn't given long to make it work and his last game was a comfortable away win against a team that got promoted. A goal would be a start!
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
ginnywings
January 11, 2018, 4:51pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Waiting doesn't always leave the dregs. A player may lower his sights a tad as the month goes by and we get someone we maybe didn't think we would. Wait and see what happens and if at the end of the month it's underwhelming, then have a pop.

A lot of the signings i have seen have been of the sort we have brought in so far.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
Abdul19
January 11, 2018, 4:53pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,541
Gold Stars: 215
Indeed. Jones came in at the last minute (I know he's not playing well at the moment but he's still one of our best players), whilst Gunning came in mid month.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
moosey_club
January 11, 2018, 5:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,240
Gold Stars: 226
In all honesty , reading between the lines of the " boards" recent statement i think its a case of get some out to release funds/budget to be able to get some more in.
Last transfer window it appeared that the board and manager were expecting/hoping a few would have gone out and we ended up being extremely top heavy in centre mid once Bignot had signed (9 was it ?) players in during the transfer window and hardly anyone went.  

We dont want that happening again.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
Mikoo
January 11, 2018, 6:12pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: +466
Quoted from Abdul19
Indeed. Jones came in at the last minute (I know he's not playing well at the moment but he's still one of our best players), whilst Gunning came in mid month.

That's true, but it wasn't out of the blue, we'd been chasing him for weeks
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
ginnywings
January 11, 2018, 6:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Reading the club statement the other day, it's a bit vague as to when the new 'quality' players will be arriving. It doesn't specifically state that they will be in this window as far as i can tell. Will some of the extra budget go on paying off players early?

If the player/s they have indentified and want are not available until the summer, will the fans accept that, given that most are now assuming we are signing some in the next three weeks? Think Russ had already hinted at that in the interview.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
TAGG
January 11, 2018, 6:42pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,959
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from ginnywings
Reading the club statement the other day, it's a bit vague as to when the new 'quality' players will be arriving. It doesn't specifically state that they will be in this window as far as i can tell. Will some of the extra budget go on paying off players early?

If the player/s they have indentified and want are not available until the summer, will the fans accept that, given that most are now assuming we are signing some in the next three weeks? Think Russ had already hinted at that in the interview.

Ye see that about 'quality players' wonder if there the same ones that are supposed to make the hear stand up on the back of our necks that we've been waiting for for donkeys years????

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
dicko995
January 11, 2018, 7:29pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -259
Gold Stars: 21
it is a reasonable statement on how things  are developing, cant see how it warrents a red cross, I just want us to get involved in getting the players we need, and not wait until its at the deadline. I just think we should grab while out there. Maybe a few 'crabs' with guilty continence are still having bad feelings like me with the continuation of the Clown being in command/, just that I thought the sooner the better to changw thinfgs around, but me myself want rid too, lets see on Saturday!, we lose, we get rid, we hope
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
barrattstandman
January 11, 2018, 7:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +477
Gold Stars: 17
We don’t want fans like you . Stay away  if that’s all you want is to see us lose.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
ginnywings
January 11, 2018, 7:47pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from dicko995
it is a reasonable statement on how things  are developing, cant see how it warrents a red cross, I just want us to get involved in getting the players we need, and not wait until its at the deadline. I just think we should grab while out there. Maybe a few 'crabs' with guilty continence are still having bad feelings like me with the continuation of the Clown being in command/, just that I thought the sooner the better to changw thinfgs around, but me myself want rid too, lets see on Saturday!, we lose, we get rid, we hope

I'd get to the Docs with those ailments.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
arryarryarry
January 11, 2018, 9:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,037
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from ginnywings

I agree listening to Russell Slade's interview today he mentioned that some of his targets may not arrive until the summer.

I think he was just preparing us for not too many more signings this month which I hope is not the case as I wouldn't want the burden of our failure to score goals to be put on that young lad's shoulders.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
headingly_mariner
January 11, 2018, 9:55pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
As if people want us to lose. That's crazy, I'll be there on Saturday hoping for a massive turnaround, definitely not expecting it though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
Mariner_09
January 11, 2018, 10:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
I’d much prefer we waited to get the ones we wanted (like Klopp did with Van Djik) rather than rushed into signing rubbish (like he did in the summer TBH. Except that was due to dilly dallying about with players would never sign (Chicksen, Revell, Hart, Walker, Crofts etc) and ending up with what nobody else wanted (Hooper, Dixon, Woolford). Please learn. I’d much rather have a squad of 20-22 really top quality players for this level than 28+ with some “good”, some “ok” and most “not good enough”.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
Marinerz93
January 11, 2018, 11:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from dicko995
and I really hope we get thrashed on Saturday. I am totally against the crap from the board. The Clown will not get better, he should of been gone last satursay evening. Hope Fenty and Clown Slade like making history in bringing the club into oblivion

This opinion of yours would have been better if

[img]https://i.imgur.com/1G6CqMi.jpg[/img]

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
Tinymariner
January 12, 2018, 10:31am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
I’m sorry but the same people who are calling for Slade and Fenty to leave are the same people bleating about not signing new players. Who the hell is going to sign for a club who’s fans are up in arms and where the management team are in danger of losing their jobs.
The board have publicly backed the management in order to stabilise the club and hopefully convince players it’s safe to sign for us, has it worked? Unlikely, as most fans have just ridiculed the statement and continued to call for heads rather than rally around and say ‘f@ck it, I’m not keen on the manager or/ Fenty, but it’s my club and I’m going to support the team and see where it gets us for the rest of the season’.
DublinMariner, you Sir/madam have inspired me to get off my backside and go to the upcoming games including Colchester, which I had decided not to bother with, thank you.
I’ll be there on Saturday against Newport too, not singing ‘Slade out, but All Town are we’ UTFM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
headingly_mariner
January 12, 2018, 12:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Tinymariner
I’m sorry but the same people who are calling for Slade and Fenty to leave are the same people bleating about not signing new players. Who the hell is going to sign for a club who’s fans are up in arms and where the management team are in danger of losing their jobs.
The board have publicly backed the management in order to stabilise the club and hopefully convince players it’s safe to sign for us, has it worked? Unlikely, as most fans have just ridiculed the statement and continued to call for heads rather than rally around and say ‘f@ck it, I’m not keen on the manager or/ Fenty, but it’s my club and I’m going to support the team and see where it gets us for the rest of the season’.
DublinMariner, you Sir/madam have inspired me to get off my backside and go to the upcoming games including Colchester, which I had decided not to bother with, thank you.
I’ll be there on Saturday against Newport too, not singing ‘Slade out, but All Town are we’ UTFM

Players will sign if you pay them the right money.
The style of the statement was generally praised as an improvement by most. Some had questions about the content and I would say rightly so.
This sort of fan blaming excuses the failure of the board and the management. The fans have the least influence on whether a player signs for the club or not.
You can't behave the way that our Board have in recent history and suddenly expect a rallying cry to unite to have the desired impact. The proof of the aims stated will be in the signings made in January and the results for the rest of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
Tinymariner
January 12, 2018, 1:42pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Players will sign if you pay them the right money.
The style of the statement was generally praised as an improvement by most. Some had questions about the content and I would say rightly so.
This sort of fan blaming excuses the failure of the board and the management. The fans have the least influence on whether a player signs for the club or not.
You can't behave the way that our Board have in recent history and suddenly expect a rallying cry to unit to have the desired impact. The proof of the aims stated will be in the signings made in January and the results for the rest of the season.

I’m not blaming fans, give me strength! I’m putting my feelings toward the board/chairmanship/Management to one side and trying to get behind the team because at present it seems futile to fight when unity is more productive.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 23
headingly_mariner
January 12, 2018, 2:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Tinymariner

I’m not blaming fans, give me strength! I’m putting my feelings toward the board/chairmanship/Management to one side and trying to get behind the team because at present it seems futile to fight when unity is more productive.

You suggested that players wouldn't sign for us because of the fans and because they haven't united behind a statement from the club. This is the sort of excuse those at the club trot out when things aren't going well and it does point the finger at fans.

Unity is more productive, but only if people have faith and trust in what they are getting behind. I'd certainly like to see people get behind the players in the ground and that is what I will be doing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 23
MarinerMal
January 12, 2018, 2:38pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +784
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Tinymariner

But there can be no unity atm. The non-chairmen/board made sure of the when they appointed Slade.

They could not have made an appointment more divisive than that.

The club and fans were still enjoying the after effects of getting back in the League before then. Most of the current division within the club stems from this one appointment.

Personally, I want to see this club do well but I do not see it doing this under this management team. I don't expect us to win all the time but I do expect something resembling football rather than the kick and rush from another decade we are forced to watch. Even if we were winning playing that way, I still wouldn't want to watch it. I also think the non-chairmen and current board run the club poorly. Therefore I think the club is heading for trouble with it's current set up.

I'm a season ticket holder so the club already has my money. The only way I can make my feelings clear to the board is to not turn up to matches and hope enough others do too. I do know there are many season ticket holders who are just not going because of Slade's style of football.

So far I've read the fault is with the toxic fan base posting negative comments on this forum (as if that makes any difference) and the only true supporters are the ones that show their unity and still go the games.

Maybe the fans who stay away because they are concerned about the clubs future under the clubs current direction and management care more than they are being given credit for.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 23
Tinymariner
January 12, 2018, 2:57pm

Whiskey Drinker
Everyone has the right to attend games and I would never criticise or blame them for their decisions to either attend or not. I do believe that all football fans can have an impact on players if there is a lot of negativity at a club, this could affect our current situation but I don’t blame the fans for this. We have a right to be pi55ed off because it is our club, not JFs or the boards. Any blame should be shouldered by them as they make the decisions. I detest the type of football we are playing under Slade and I think we need a clear out on all levels but I would never hope for us to lose just to get rid of a manager.
All that said, we need the kind of positivity I have seen in some of the responses to the boards statement and not the negativity in others.
Im fed up with negativity, positive thoughts may lead to positive actions and outcomes UTM.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Were missing them

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.