2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
January 10, 2018, 1:57pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Lets pretend it`s end of Jan and where do we think GTFC are heading 2018 and beyond really?

I think it highly likely we will remain mid table personally and I am glad we already have plenty of points in the bag.

What do we want from the transfer window?

Be nice to see 2-3 money signings with the wow factor at our level for example Billy Kee.

What do we want to see/hear from the Club regarding a way forward with fans?

More statement`s like yesterday`s but in a positive light.A proper drive to get ST sold early a proper look at NE Linc`s shift workers and a solution to tapping into that support.

Can we see any way to Unite behind the current board/management?

At present unlikely but as above if they can be seen to move their all knowing stance and engage more something might give? At the moment they have mountains to shift and the Manager needs to change his playing style for a much more attacking style if he wants to win the fans over.Also lets give youth a chance in the side if were batting games out.
Logged Online
Private Message
horsforthmariner
January 10, 2018, 3:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,588
Gold Stars: 9
My view on this; with percentage of likelyhood

Nightmare outcome we continue on this run, we make further poor signings, confidence drops - FGR and Chesterfield go on a run we get dragged into it. Chances of Relegation 15%

As above but scrape out of it on the last day/couple of weeks on something like 47 points- 10%

We continue to be dire but eek out a point a game average and stay clear of the relegation scene, finishing 16th -20th. We make a few journeyman/ young player signings but nothing like the substantial investment. Attendances continue to plummet. - 40%

We make a couple of decent signings, our form picks up slightly we finish respectably on around 60  points but it's still pretty dismal - 25%

The board  backs up what it says and we bring in some real quality, we improve markedly and make a late run for the play offs just missing out - 9.99%

We sign a few absolute gems and bring a whole load of talent, Slade changes tack  starts playing a passing game and keeping the ball on the ground. We get into the play offs thrash Lincoln in the final and we move forward with confidence to league one - 0.01%
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
MarinerRob
January 10, 2018, 3:51pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted Text
We sign a few absolute gems and bring a whole load of talent, Slade changes tack  starts playing a passing game and keeping the ball on the ground. We get into the play offs thrash Lincoln in the final and we move forward with confidence to league one - 0.01%

I like the sound of that one. And, in particular Slade changing tack, playing a passing game, the ball on the ground AND a plan B when it's not working. I think I have more chance of winning the lottery (and I don't mean just 3 numbers)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
pen penfras
January 10, 2018, 4:08pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from 1mickylyons
A proper drive to get ST sold early

In our promotion season that would definitely have been sensible. This year, it depends on how the next few months go. If form improves and we're playing well, then yes. If we continue to struggle with poor football and supporter unrest, then I think the best thing is to let tempers calm before sending out renewal packs. This was mentioned at the fans forum and makes a lot of sense, it doesn't make sense when things are going well and you want to capitalise on momentum.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
IlkleyMariner
January 10, 2018, 4:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,978
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from horsforthmariner
My view on this; with percentage of likelyhood

Nightmare outcome we continue on this run, we make further poor signings, confidence drops - FGR and Chesterfield go on a run we get dragged into it. Chances of Relegation 15%

As above but scrape out of it on the last day/couple of weeks on something like 47 points- 10%

We continue to be dire but eek out a point a game average and stay clear of the relegation scene, finishing 16th -20th. We make a few journeyman/ young player signings but nothing like the substantial investment. Attendances continue to plummet. - 40%

We make a couple of decent signings, our form picks up slightly we finish respectably on around 60  points but it's still pretty dismal - 25%

The board  backs up what it says and we bring in some real quality, we improve markedly and make a late run for the play offs just missing out - 9.99%

I like it..... how about running a sweep with 50% of winnings going to fund players, or has that been done before?????
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
Tommy
January 10, 2018, 4:25pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from MarinerRob

I like the sound of that one. And, in particular Slade changing tack, playing a passing game, the ball on the ground AND a plan B when it's not working. I think I have more chance of winning the lottery (and I don't mean just 3 numbers)

You missed the early spell of his first stint in charge with us then?

The current tactics clearly aren't the only tactics he's ever used.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
MarinerRob
January 10, 2018, 7:22pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
Back in those days (before social media) and not being able to listen to commentaries I relied on Teletext (remember that) to follow the game. I used to have the Saturday Telegraph sent to me so by about Tuesday or Wednesday I had a match report to read. So I had no idea what type of football Town were playing. I do remember going into injury time in the last game of the season in an automatic promotion place only to be out of it at the final whistle. I went to Cardiff and Town were rubbish on the day and Slade had already 'jumped ship'  So I didn't actually see many of Slade's first stint with Town.
Being in the Conference meant that nearly all the games had a commentary to listen to and with social media and the like was spoilt (where have I heard that before, I wonder) Nowadays it's great to not have to rely on Teletext and the like.

I wonder why this post warranted a red X?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
buckstown
January 10, 2018, 7:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,171
Gold Stars: 79
The issue for me is how RS is going to attract the right people here. A few people have suggested Billy Kee, so if you ignore the personal issues he had, that's about the calibre that would make the fans sit up. Are we likely to pay the sort of fee they'd want and the wages the player would demand? I suspect not and that means we're more likely to be looking at the National League for potential midfield and striker options. That probably means the players will need time to adjust (a la Bogle)
The alternative is we look at higher league players who are struggling for a game now.
Not sure which is the best or the most likely?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
Marinerz93
January 10, 2018, 9:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Getting players in who influence or change games, I remember we went in for Bishop at Bury, a player who could win you games, when we went on that horrible run without winning games the season before we went down and the club enquired about Bishop and were told £350K. That interest was dropped like a hot coal and never followed up with a similar player elsewhere.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
moosey_club
January 10, 2018, 10:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,201
Gold Stars: 224
I would like to have the next concrete statement on the ground development ....the last public comment referred to crucial/crunch/important meetings with the council/extreme over the next couple of weeks ...that was early December i think ??  

Update due.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
friskneymariner
January 10, 2018, 10:54pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Using the best Portland.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 11
Marinerz93
January 10, 2018, 11:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from moosey_club
I would like to have the next concrete statement on the ground development ....the last public comment referred to crucial/crunch/important meetings with the council/extreme over the next couple of weeks ...that was early December i think ??  

Update due.

It certainly is you're quite right, don't hold your breath though.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Beyond January

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.