ginnywings
January 11, 2018, 11:46pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from mrsd

Slade said he wasn’t the type of player he was looking for (or words to that effect).

A goalscorer?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 42
grimps
January 12, 2018, 6:40am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,993
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from malkamalka
I run a music and arts web site (Lincolnshire Arts and Music Bulletin if anybody's interested), and it's quite interesting to see how many Lincoln Musicians and Artists have got behind The Imps. I don't see the same thing from Grimsby bands, etc.

So yeah, they have got something going, and the public being behind them, rather than slagging them off 24/7 must be a situation John Fenty can only dream of.

So maybe there is something GTFC can learn from them, but so can Town's supporters.

Most musicians these days are artistic 'Nezbit' types anyway , I doubt many are even into football
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 42
Maringer
January 12, 2018, 8:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Thing about Podge is that he scores goals but does little else when it comes to working the defenders, so I can sort of see why Slade wasn't interested.

Only problem here is that our other strikers don't score goals or do anything else much!

He's not been tearing up any trees this season but I fully expect him to score against us yet again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 42
cannylad68
January 12, 2018, 10:00am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
Grimps,

As I posted earlier, the P.A. announcer at Blundell Park is a Town fan but also a very highly regarded musician.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 42
Welwynmariner
January 12, 2018, 11:21am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from mrsd

Slade said he wasn’t the type of player he was looking for (or words to that effect).

I remember that Hurst prefered Tomlinson to Podge at one point (against Braintree for example) which I never understood
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 42
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 12, 2018, 11:34am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,506
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from RoboCod
I think the point that most are missing here is the key one and that's a fresh face on the board, adding both investment and ideas. Until a couple of years ago Lincoln were bumping along in the Conference unable to even mount a playoff challenge.
They had/have a Chairman and board every bit as hapless as the Fenty led shower we have, perhaps more so given their unconvincing time in non-League. Then quite randomly an Everton supporting Hedge Funder from South Africa queried as to whether they'd need a hand. Clive Nates was duly brought in, and now look.

I still raise an eyebrow when I think of a Hedge Funder from SA, with no links to a club offering his services (and cash) yet as dodgy as it sounds it seems to have done the trick.

The irony is in the constant bigging up of the likes of Fenty and Dorian as being a fan, one of us and wanting the best for their home town, when a complete stranger from the other side of the world steps in and (with a touch of fortune as the Cowleys had also just arrived on the scene) does the simple stuff, engages with the fans and begins tying up the loose ends of the business side and basically does the job that the incumbent board seem incapable of.
A reverse image of GTFC in other words.

"So yeah, they have got something going, and the public being behind them, rather than slagging them off 24/7 must be a situation John Fenty can only dream of"

You're right on the dreaming bit, as I doubt the current non-chairman's ego could bear the above scenario, but the club is stagnant with a board of non-engaging plodders who have employed a similarly equipped manager.

Think that Bob Dorian has some business links in SA and that is how he got involved with Clive Nates and as I understand it he is also backed by a further four SA businessman.

Before Nates became involved I believe Peter Swann was going to invest in Lincoln but somehow Scunny prized his cash away and for some reason were a more attractive proposition for him.

Difference appears to be Dorian's willingness/ability to work with other investors for the benefit of the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 42
RoboCod
January 12, 2018, 11:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Think that Bob Dorian has some business links in SA and that is how he got involved with Clive Nates and as I understand it he is also backed by a further four SA businessman.

Before Nates became involved I believe Peter Swann was going to invest in Lincoln but somehow Scunny prized his cash away and for some reason were a more attractive proposition for him.

Difference appears to be Dorian's willingness/ability to work with other investors for the benefit of the club.

I heard somewhere that Nates was an Everton fan and some friendly between them and Lincoln from years back put Lincoln on his radar and made them his other team, in a way. Something vaguely along those lines.
I think Swann just saw Scunny as the better, more organised and ready to move forward option of the 3 Lincs clubs, and he wasn't wrong at the time.

Your last line is exactly right, though he's not a chairman I rate very much credit's due, he kept things ticking over, kept a transparent dialogue open with the fans and was busy making his club look an attractive proposition to investors as possible.
They got a little bit of fortune with the timing of things but fortune can favour certain types.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 42
Impish2
January 12, 2018, 12:29pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +55
Quoted from RoboCod

I heard somewhere that Nates was an Everton fan and some friendly between them and Lincoln from years back put Lincoln on his radar and made them his other team, in a way. Something vaguely along those lines.
I think Swann just saw Scunny as the better, more organised and ready to move forward option of the 3 Lincs clubs, and he wasn't wrong at the time.

Your last line is exactly right, though he's not a chairman I rate very much credit's due, he kept things ticking over, kept a transparent dialogue open with the fans and was busy making his club look an attractive proposition to investors as possible.
They got a little bit of fortune with the timing of things but fortune can favour certain types.

That's right, at the time we were supposedly developing a link with Everton so that they could have first refusal at our better players (if we had any then) and we could probably loan some Prem talent in return. However the link up never materialised so Clive Nates found out about Lincoln then. He also thought investing the relatively small amounts he had in Everton would be pointless with the millions the Premier clubs earned so that's also why his interest in Lincoln started. Ever since Bob and Clive got on the same page the club has been transformed beyond recognition. How long it will last who knows but will enjoy the moment and glory while the sun shines. If we can do this, there's no reason why Grimsby can't turn the corner.

As for Swann, he shook hands with Bob to come onto the board at Lincoln with a view to becoming chairman. But a gentlemans agreement obviously doesn't mean anything to him, hence investing in the Scunts instead.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 42
Mariner_09
January 12, 2018, 12:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from Welwynmariner

I remember that Hurst prefered Tomlinson to Podge at one point (against Braintree for example) which I never understood

I think Hurst identified that dropping him was the best way to get him playing at his best when he came back, sort of player who thrived on having something to prove and needed a kick up the bottom to ensure he put in the hard yards in training and in games. It all worked in the end.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 42
KingstonMariner
January 12, 2018, 1:53pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Mariner_09

I think Hurst identified that dropping him was the best way to get him playing at his best when he came back, sort of player who thrived on having something to prove and needed a kick up the bottom to ensure he put in the hard yards in training and in games. It all worked in the end.

Yes he was making such a poor contribution towards promotion before Hurst dropped him, scoring a measily 20 goals in th first half of the season 😉

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › rh tonight

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.