5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Henryscat
January 10, 2018, 9:49am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
Quoted from malkamalka
I run a music and arts web site (Lincolnshire Arts and Music Bulletin if anybody's interested), and it's quite interesting to see how many Lincoln Musicians and Artists have got behind The Imps. I don't see the same thing from Grimsby bands, etc.

So yeah, they have got something going, and the public being behind them, rather than slagging them off 24/7 must be a situation John Fenty can only dream of.

So maybe there is something GTFC can learn from them, but so can Town's supporters.

If you wanna balance it up a bit

https://youtu.be/yy4fwckOqdM

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 42
ginnywings
January 10, 2018, 10:31am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from 1mickylyons

The key point here I guess is Lincoln with 7-8k gates when they next hit a lean spell will be better off than us with 3-4k.Of course GY have 3-4k hardcore fans and Lincoln have had a massive influx of newbies but a lot of them will be young fans and a lot dormant Imps who probably hadn't bothered for years.Of course a lot will drop off but they will still retain a load and I don't see Lincoln dropping below 5k in the next couple of years unless they do a GY and shoot themselves in the foot numerous times.

Out of interest, i checked the league 2 attendance stats and Lincoln are top on 8600, Slightly ahead of Luton, with Coventry and Notts County not far behind. I never thought i'd see the day that Lincoln would be getting more fans through the gate than those three, so fair play to them, they are riding about as high as i have ever seen them. Akin to the way McMenemy galvanised our support.

Much to my surprise, Town are averaging 4440. That level has dropped alarmingly over the past few weeks, and the average with it. So we were actually doing not too bad at the outset. We are very slightly ahead of the average for the entire league combined in 9th place overall. The best i think we could manage is 6th, because Swindon in 5th are 6587. Generally, as you would expect, the better supported sides are at the top end of the league, and all those that average around the 3 to 4 thousand mark are scrabbling around in the middle somewhere, except for Chesterfield, who are higher than us crowd wise but struggling, plus Port Vale who are catching us fast after a terrible start.

The telling thing for me is that the bottom two of Accrington and Morecambe, have a combined average of barely 3100 between them, yet looked far more capable on the pitch than we did. It's those two defeats i believe that has turned apathy to anger. It has with me anyway.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 42
RoboCod
January 10, 2018, 10:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
I think the point that most are missing here is the key one and that's a fresh face on the board, adding both investment and ideas. Until a couple of years ago Lincoln were bumping along in the Conference unable to even mount a playoff challenge.
They had/have a Chairman and board every bit as hapless as the Fenty led shower we have, perhaps more so given their unconvincing time in non-League. Then quite randomly an Everton supporting Hedge Funder from South Africa queried as to whether they'd need a hand. Clive Nates was duly brought in, and now look.

I still raise an eyebrow when I think of a Hedge Funder from SA, with no links to a club offering his services (and cash) yet as dodgy as it sounds it seems to have done the trick.

The irony is in the constant bigging up of the likes of Fenty and Dorian as being a fan, one of us and wanting the best for their home town, when a complete stranger from the other side of the world steps in and (with a touch of fortune as the Cowleys had also just arrived on the scene) does the simple stuff, engages with the fans and begins tying up the loose ends of the business side and basically does the job that the incumbent board seem incapable of.
A reverse image of GTFC in other words.

"So yeah, they have got something going, and the public being behind them, rather than slagging them off 24/7 must be a situation John Fenty can only dream of"

You're right on the dreaming bit, as I doubt the current non-chairman's ego could bear the above scenario, but the club is stagnant with a board of non-engaging plodders who have employed a similarly equipped manager.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 42
OneLove
January 10, 2018, 10:59am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +731
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from malkamalka
I run a music and arts web site (Lincolnshire Arts and Music Bulletin if anybody's interested), and it's quite interesting to see how many Lincoln Musicians and Artists have got behind The Imps. I don't see the same thing from Grimsby bands, etc.

So yeah, they have got something going, and the public being behind them, rather than slagging them off 24/7 must be a situation John Fenty can only dream of.

So maybe there is something GTFC can learn from them, but so can Town's supporters.

Well this is it, a local band has attempted to help the club out by releasing a single called Black & White For You which all monies raised went towards out youth system. Unfortunately it only raised a small amount probably enough to buy ten pairs of footy boots but it was an idea. The thing what I think this club does lack in is entertainment, a lot of clubs from the likes of FC United to Man City have fan zones in which bands are able to perform to fans before and at half time, its a pretty good thing as its involving the community more. Perhaps a fan zone could be set up somewhere in the ground, where beer can flow, a band/spoken word/comedian can splash a bit of entertainment before and at half time. Look how well that mariachi band did at barnet away, everyone loved it. I think Stevie S would go down a storm  

Again its not going to bring in money but its something that makes BP  a lot less like a funeral parlour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 42
oldun
January 10, 2018, 12:08pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
It is not long ago that the Imps had a Sunday League manager and a similar team. It just so happened the chairman took a punt on a couple of up and coming young managers from Braintree, yes Braintree and they had a great season last year with the bonus of a great cup run which increased their profile and local backing. This came after many tears in the doldrums. That's the way football goes sometimes, 2 or 3 years from now the situation could be reversed. Scunthorpe on the other hand have had spells in the Championship, a period of decline and more recently success in Leage 1. It needs several factors to come together at the same time and we do not have that at the present time. An undisputeable truth is that winning matches switches mood from negative to positive regardless of who is in charge.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 42
Welwynmariner
January 10, 2018, 2:16pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from oldun
It is not long ago that the Imps had a Sunday League manager and a similar team. It just so happened the chairman took a punt on a couple of up and coming young managers from Braintree, yes Braintree and they had a great season last year with the bonus of a great cup run which increased their profile and local backing. This came after many tears in the doldrums. That's the way football goes sometimes, 2 or 3 years from now the situation could be reversed. Scunthorpe on the other hand have had spells in the Championship, a period of decline and more recently success in Leage 1. It needs several factors to come together at the same time and we do not have that at the present time. An undisputeable truth is that winning matches switches mood from negative to positive regardless of who is in charge.

Having seen us play against Braintree a couple of times it didn't a genius to work out that the Cowleys were a class act. It was only Podge's good football sense that got us past them in the play-off semi final remember.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 42
cannylad68
January 10, 2018, 3:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
One of the best drummers for miles, is the P.A. announcer at B.P.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 42
friskneymariner
January 10, 2018, 3:25pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Welwynmariner

Having seen us play against Braintree a couple of times it didn't a genius to work out that the Cowleys were a class act. It was only Podge's good football sense that got us past them in the play-off semi final remember.

You mean if it was not for Monkhouse being injured forcing Hurst to play Marshall you mean

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 42
Mikoo
January 10, 2018, 3:38pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: +466
Quoted from friskneymariner

You mean if it was not for Monkhouse being injured forcing Hurst to play Marshall you mean

Marshall didn't start.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 42
friskneymariner
January 10, 2018, 3:50pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
Is my memory playing tricks but didn't Marshall start in the second leg at Braintree.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › rh tonight

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.