Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Statement: Grimsby Town FC – Backing Slade/Wilko
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 156 Guests

Statement: Grimsby Town FC – Backing Slade/Wilko

This thread currently has 25,328 views. Print
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
January 9, 2018, 6:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
At least they have clarified their position in a well written and seemingly well thought out press release. It was more professional and went out of its way to acknowledge the problems which we have discussed at length, so that is a good start.

I said a day or so ago, if they felt Slade was the right man then they would have to back him up with money, and wake themselves up to how serious things were getting. It seems they have at last stirred into action, which could be a good thing if they back up a well worded press release with action.

We are not expecting the earth, but we should certainly trying to get a Ricky Miller* type player who will immediately improve the team.  

I think by the tone of the press release the board realise they are in serious trouble - now it is over to them to put it right.

*Or a player who the majority of fans will find exciting and ambitious.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 170
Mariner_09
January 9, 2018, 6:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from OneLove
Love how he's blamed the inheritance of hurst and bignots signings, I think somehow the majority of that squads slades riff raff. That board wants shooting for voting to back him. Anyone who believes this backing lark wants to give there head a wobble.

Most of our better players this season (Davies, Mills, Summerfield, McKeown and Collins) have been Hurst signings!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 170
Bristol Mariner
January 9, 2018, 6:44pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from MarinerDevil
I have to say, first and foremost, that the two statements made today are a huge improvement on recent comments made by the club and the board must be commended for pitching their thoughts in an effective manner.  

This obviously will fall well short of unifying the community around the management team and boardroom, but I honestly feel much better about the current regime now the club have finally indicated that they are willing to engage people rather than seal themselves inside a bunker.  This should have happened a long time ago.

All with authority at the club are still in a fragile position, however, and the team must start entertaining again before talk of revolution and boycott fade.

UTM

Best response on here to date....

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 170
Welwynmariner
January 9, 2018, 6:49pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 1
Well I think the Board have recognised the seriousness of the situation and the depth of feeling there undoubtedly is about the situation.

Presumably on Monday certain departures were agreed - Osborne and Bolarinwa would be two and there will clearly be others - Clements is seemingly going to Kidderminster and we can speculate about who the others might be.

Also presumably Slade and Wilkinson took a set of proposals and a spending target which presumably also got agreed. Now they have to get out there and speak to agents and get people who are prepared to come.

At least the lad from Derby is local so he won't be commuting from Birmingham or Manchester. Frankly if Everton and Liverpool can have the confidence in their youngsters like Gomez, Calvert-Lewin, Thompson and Davies I do think it's about time to ask why we can't have the same confidence in some of ours.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 170
grimsby pete
January 9, 2018, 6:50pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I will not hold my breath waiting for the quality signings to arrive,

How many has Slade  already signed this season that even he does not think  are good enough to start.?

I hope he does manage to get another couple in before Saturday because we are playing the mighty Newport.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 170
sam gy
January 9, 2018, 6:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,386
Gold Stars: 53
Seems it could be a bit of both on the Jamey Osborne situation. Slade can’t guarantee him a place in the starting line up, and Jamey perhaps doesn’t want to live in a hotel/travel by himself if he is not guaranteed a place in the team.

Could be constructed as Jamey doesn’t want to fight for his place and/or he isn’t settled in the area.

Either way, when he signed under Bignot he was pretty much guaranteed a place in the team, and there was a bunch of other players (and management) that we’re based in the midlands. The situation had changed a lot since then!

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 170
fleabag1970
January 9, 2018, 6:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
The board have reacted to the low crowd on Sat . They will keep reacting as the crowds keep dropping . I said all along the only form of protest is to stay away ..

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 170
Squinter
January 9, 2018, 7:01pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +587
Gold Stars: 9
Great statement if it had been released summer 2017
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 170
TAGG
January 9, 2018, 7:03pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
"Russell Slade and Paul Wilkinson are vastly experienced. They continue to increase and improve the professionalism of the football club and implement their football ethos throughout the club"
Yes they do that's why we are in this position.

We are committed to bringing goals and the buzz back to Blundell Park.
To fookin late mate.

The Club needs stability right now and the Board are asking the fans to be even more patient and get behind the manager, club and players as we continue this rebuilding process back in the league.
Patients went years ago.
You mean Rebuilding the flipping shambles you Mr Fenty have created while you have been at the helm???
Are you lot thick or what just look at the crowd???

Let’s show that relentless support for the team that has seen us recognised nationally in the past and here’s to bringing the goals, confidence and buzz back at Blundell Park!
Ye "in the past" before Mr Fenty got his hands on the club.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 170
Vance Warner
January 9, 2018, 7:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +18 / -5
Approval: +2,772
Gold Stars: 99
A few things that I have taken from that:

1) Slade's position was in enough doubt to be voted on and all board members (inc Trust rep) voted to keep him.
2) The board can release professional press releases - PR is not just done on the pitch.
3) Russell and Paul have also set out a clear vision to the Board to continue rebuilding the squad towards a tighter-knit, leaner but higher calibre playing squad, reducing it in size whilst increasing the quality over the next six months - seems starnge as so far their vision seems to have been to fill the squad with dross
4) We are committed to bringing goals and the buzz back to Blundell Park - yet we're going to retain the mangement team that have brought some of the worst football in living memory to Blundell Park.
5) However, they have also inherited a playing structure largely built by two other managers with so many full time first team professionals on our books. It is clear that our squad is in transition and we ask supporters to remain patient. Yet they have signed a large number of players who can't make the first team squad.
6) While the Board accepts that there have been examples of some teams being promoted from the Conference and building on that success through momentum, there are also many examples where clubs have been promoted and done far worse than we are doing now. The old be careful what you wish for tactic that has allowed this board to go unchallenged for far too long.
7)Together we are stronger and the only way we can make Blundell Park a fortress is by turning out and backing the team. Or by showing passion and playing entertaining football
We owe it to the club we all love by putting our differences aside to unite together. Heard it all before. We didn't create the divide between club and fans.

Overall it's a massive gamble to back Slade after the dreadful recruitment so far. The personnel might improve but the style of football won't and that's one of the biggest reasons for the falling attendances. If this backfires and Slade leaves us with a squad full of journeymen on long contracts I fear for our future.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 170
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Statement: Grimsby Town FC – Backing Slade/Wilko

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.