Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stick, twist or go all in ?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 123 Guests

Stick, twist or go all in ?

This thread currently has 3,267 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
lukeo
January 7, 2018, 8:37pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 133
I have to agree and say I think we have a half decent squad of players. To me alotthough ageing we have 2 half decent centre backs. 2 good enough full backs. More than capable wingers providing they get the correct coaching and support. Very good centre midfielder and 2 average league 2 players who play in their. Sam Jones to me has talent and should be upfront so I'm going to say we have a decent striker and someone in Matt, who I've only seen a couple of times, someone who looks a bit more tough, bigger, taller to put the defence under pressure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
HertsGTFC
January 7, 2018, 8:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from chaos33
I'm guessing, but I bet we can't actually afford to sack Slade. We're not allowed to know or discuss his contract but what would it cost to pay it up and dismiss him and Wilko? 200k? 300k? More?
Where on earth would we get that from?

Managers don't get their contracts paid up in one go usually the sacking club pays their salary until they get another job, for one thing it's more tax efficient for both parties as you don't have to declare a lump some in one tax year. I was reading an article by Martin Allen recently and he wrote that many L1 & 2 managers only get paid their notice pay and don't get the term of their deal paid up.

The likes of Alladyce, Moise, Pardew etc... get job after job so their previous employers don't pay their full outstanding amounts. However managers like Hoddle and Souness  take their pay off's get media work and effectively retire. Curbishley was interesting he sued West Ham for constructive dismissal and won 2.2 million, happy days.

You would doubt Slade would work in the game again as a manger if we bin him so it could cost GTFC a bit if such a clause has been written in to his deal.

It will be attendances that do for Slade not football. Yesterday we can only have sold around 500 tickets once STH came out of the gate which will be less than £10K in receipts and I'm sure we missed our break even point and lost money,

Sp what do you do lose money be ever dwindling gates or pay off the reason for the reduction in attendances and get bums back on seats with a new manager.

All that said I think Slade is a cat and still has lots of lives left in JF's eyes.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
chaos33
January 7, 2018, 8:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Good points mate

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
Swansea_Mariner
January 7, 2018, 9:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
Can you imagine the mess we would be in if we allowed him to punt out another 3 or 4 two year deals if he gets it as wrong as the last set  of transfers 😲😲😲.

If stays which I certainly hope he doesn't, end of the season deals or loans for me only as I wouldn't trust him to get it right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
friskneymariner
January 7, 2018, 9:25pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
The thing is not only gate attendances going to plummet so are next years season's tickets. I can see if Slade is still here next season sales are going to be around 1000,that is a drop of around 2,000 x £300.= £600,000 Fenty will no doubt be aware of this,he cannot afford to keep him.
If Slade is on the salary that it is rumoured,it is a problem of Fenty's making and he should be personally responsible for resolving it.
As members of the board were the Trust involved in anyway in the appointment of Slade or terms of his contract.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
Croxton
January 7, 2018, 9:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
Walked into ticket office at 2.45 pm. No customers, just 5 staff chatting. Plenty of choice for my seat and no queue at turnstile. The only positive of a miserable experience was the thought of drinking my flask at half time. The gallows humour of God's waiting room in the Upper Young's is wearing thin.
I am resolved to spend no more money on away trips, catch up on DIY and grandkids and only go to Home games if I am also visiting family in North Lincs. Travelling 140 miles just to watch this pretence of professional football does not add up.
Some things HAVE to change. Hurst doing well at the moment but I keep thinking that I was at Gainsborough when Vernon was signed at half time after 45 very rusty minutes. Weird goings on ever since.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
HertsGTFC
January 7, 2018, 9:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from friskneymariner
The thing is not only gate attendances going to plummet so are next years season's tickets. I can see if Slade is still here next season sales are going to be around 1000,that is a drop of around 2,000 x £300.= £600,000 Fenty will no doubt be aware of this,he cannot afford to keep him.
If Slade is on the salary that it is rumoured,it is a problem of Fenty's making and he should be personally responsible for resolving it.
As members of the board were the Trust involved in anyway in the appointment of Slade or terms of his contract.

The season ticket revenue is a good point. I know we have no corporate debt to the bank but I am sure the season ticket revenue will be used as leverage when we have an account review and negotiate things like the overdraft to support peaks and troughs in cash flow.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
Cod Cheeks
January 7, 2018, 9:47pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +374
We're all stuck with each other I'm afraid
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
Bigdog
January 7, 2018, 10:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Can he be trusted to sign the right players?

Can his tactics get the best out of them?

Can he reverse the downward trend in gates?

Does he look like a beaten man out of ideas?

Does he maintain any respect in the dressing room?

Got a feeling JF and the board have no choice but to sack him tomorrow..

It'll cost as much if not more in lost revenue to keep him as it will to pay off him off..

I don't think fans can stomach another game of Sladeball and he isn't going to change..

So the logical decision is a fresh start.. No brainer for me..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
GrimRob
January 7, 2018, 10:23pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
I think he'll go tomorrow morning, it will be the first act of Monday's board meeting. The prospect of a sub-3000 crowd for the rest of the season will push the board into acting now.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 23
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stick, twist or go all in ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.